Hospital questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggles

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Hi Guys, I have a surgery coming up in a few weeks orthopaedic related from a prior accident. My last surgery I didn’t mention anything about possible continence issues and surgery was by spinal anaesthetic which I assume this next one will be. And last time left me embarrassed while recovering. I feel this time I should tell them pre surgery but as there will be paralysis for some hours post surgery means changing myself would be difficult/impossible and this is probably the most vulnerable time for accidents. I feel embarrassed at the prospect it means I will need assistance changing post surgery. Just wondering your experience’s and thoughts.
Should I not worry? I also don’t want to answer 100 questions regarding issues just get surgery over with recover and go home
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You, by all means, must notify the doctors or nurses, that you might have accidents and need protection. If they acknowledge that, they will also provide all necessary assistance.
However, if you don't want to find something unpleasant put into you, you should clearly state, that you require diapers. Because when I "got aquatinted" with general anesthesia without specifying my preferences (I kind of thought it was obvious, that if I'm wearing a diaper, they should keep me that way), upon recovery I found myself catheterised, which I didn't like at all.
Though, when I had an orthodontic surgery and passed out halfway through it, I was changed into a fresh diaper... But maybe that's because the dental clinic can't afford such techniques as catheters...
Oh, and bring your own diapers. I know it was said many times before, but the hospital ones are awful.

For many surgeries that require recovery time, you will have a catheter inserted.

In general, all spinal anesthetics will receive a catheter. In people who are not incontinent this is actually because of fluid retention, not the possibility of leaking. Chances are if you tell the surgeon nobody will be notified. It is best to tell the clinicians in the preoperative area. Spinal anesthetics vary in how long they last depending on what local anesthetic is used. Bupivicaine is the most widely used and the spinal lasts 3-5 hours usually.

I have spent more time in the hospital than some who work there,Nurses are very happy to change you ,my last stay was for a stroke ,and I was dehydrated so they ran fluid into me like a faucet ,and the nurses new with the crap diapers if they didn't change me every half hour they would be changing everything from gown to blankets to sheets ,they had the old super soaker charged up and working ,i also had encephalopathy so I can remember having a conversations with the TV.
Blood pressure too high as was my glucose and blood pressure ,kinda hit the trifecta , they told me when i was brought in that calling my blood "sludge" was an understatement so they ran multiple IV wide open to dilute me which of course opened the door for crazy amount of diaper changes .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I've been through countless surgeries while diapered. Yes you should tell them during pre-op. They won't ask you 100 questions, but may inquire about it a little. If you don't feel like answering then just say that you have it all managed and prefer not to go into details.

Show up for your surgery while diapered if you normally are. They may even allow/want you to keep it on going into the OR, so let the prep nurse know you are diapered and ask if you should just keep it on. Most times they say yes.

Sometimes they just leave you in that diaper through the surgery, and sometimes the doc will put a catheter in you. Half the time it is removed before you even wake up. I believe this is all dependent on the individual doctor and workload of the recovery nurses. Either way you you'll likely need to request a new diaper right away after waking up.

It is also a good idea to bring enough spare changes with you to the surgery, for you to use during recovery. They will provide you with hospital diapers if you need them, but be warned they are the thinnest, crappiest, most leak prone, diapers I've ever used. You will want your own, trust me.

As for changing or putting it on, that's what the nurses are there for. Try not to be embarrassed about it, they do this sort of thing quite often. They are always professional about it, and never once were condensending or joked about my needing diapers. Just let them do their job and help you during your recovery.

Also, good luck with the surgery.

Biggles said:
Hi Guys, I have a surgery coming up in a few weeks orthopaedic related from a prior accident. My last surgery I didn’t mention anything about possible continence issues and surgery was by spinal anaesthetic which I assume this next one will be. And last time left me embarrassed while recovering. I feel this time I should tell them pre surgery but as there will be paralysis for some hours post surgery means changing myself would be difficult/impossible and this is probably the most vulnerable time for accidents. I feel embarrassed at the prospect it means I will need assistance changing post surgery. Just wondering your experience’s and thoughts.
Should I not worry? I also don’t want to answer 100 questions regarding issues just get surgery over with recover and go home
Thanks.

I’ve had a number of surgeries and each time my experience is that the hospital calls a week or two ahead of time and goes through all the details you need to know before coming - and also does a full history of all major systems. I’ve notified them at that time of my bedwetting history and the majority of the time, they’ve told me to bring what I normal wear to bed to surgery.

I agree with the others who have indicated that this information given over the phone - may or may not be passed on to the people taking care of you on the day you actually get to the hospital for surgery. In most cases for me, the people checking me in and stuff, had to go through everything again.

ON the times when I’ve had to take a hospital stay, I’ve taken with me print paper copies of my major medical history, medications, bedwetting and need for diapers while sleeping. These I gave to nurses, etc. when I checked in, and also saved one for the nurse on the floor once I got into my room. It seems that not all information gets passed from staff-to-staff.

If you have a major problem having a catheter, you might have to communicate this multiple times in order to get it accommodated.

Also, If you choose not to wear a diaper at all, I know that on my spouse’s hospital floor, they have a “no-diaper” policy. Their patients either have catheters or NOTHING. They just have accidents right in the bed and then the staff has to change them. The idea is to prevent CNA staff from being lazy and relying too much on diapers and not helping people get out of bed and into the bathroom. It’s possible and maybe even normal that when you get up to your room, having accidents in the bed wont single you out at all. Having diapers might even be unusual...

Also, I’d recommend bringing your own diaper supplies with you to the hospital. They dont always have them - at least in the states - and the ones they do are not very good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree W/ Mayham on this. + My Little Surgery Story

I agree with Mayham in the fact that most likely you'll have a catheter inserted. Good luck on your surgery and I'm wishing you a speedy recovery. I hate the knock out drugs they use. Your in good hands! To be clear in any type of procedure or surgery it's always a good idea to mention that so there is not confusion or embarrassment later. Remember the docs have seen a bunch of people who use diapers and/or are incontinent. Normally the anesthesiologist will actually talk to you one on one, before things get ruling so let him or her know as well; by law stuff will be kept private so even if he or she knows you, by some rare chance your stuffs private.

Be glad you don't live where i do; the medical care here is really stupid sometimes:
They wonder why I can't assist them with surgery prep,
gee maybe, if they did not press the button for the IV, ultimately knocking me out, before they actually intended to, then yeah I'd be right there awake, to help them. Priceless!! I could here screaming "get the f****** intubation kit!" That's about it. I woke up screaming and apparently I told the whole operating team to quote "Go F**** yourself!" I don't remember making any statement at all other then "Whoa um guys I feel odd".(Right before I loss conciseness and thus control of my whole life force.) They were being paid to clear my sinus's; god it was life changing. So I guess it balanced out with the bad beginning. They did apologize, when I reminded them that they, were supposed to be READY first then knock me out; via that octopus IV machine. This is also when they finally discovered all the stuff medically wrong with me, But that's for another post. Let's just say they had to scramble to put fluids in me twice, as well as send one zap; because my heart rate either decided to operate to slow or way too fast. I think the guy said It hit almost 200.

Last edited:
Thankyou all for your replies and thoughts appreciate the feed back. I go in next week for appointment with anaesthetist then surgery following week. I will let you know how I get on.

Having incontinence is something that nurses and hospitals deal with everyday. It is not something you should be in the slightest worried about.

If you are having spinal anesthetics, then as others have said, you will likely either have a catheter or placed in a disposable brief anyhow.

I recently was with someone who had hip replacement surgery. They did a spinal block and truly they did not have any feeling or control from the waist down. Hence, it was not surprising that after the surgery they had been placed in a diaper. Which was a good thing, as until the block wore off, they did not have control. It depends upon what the doctor and hospital protocol may be as far as using a catheter or external protection. It is also partly your choice, depending upon what the surgery is for and where it is located. If you do not feel comfortable with having a catheter, you should express that and it is okay to say you would prefer having a diaper as you already wear them for incontinence.

In many aspects, changing a diaper is no more inconvenient than nurses having to regularly check on, secure, empty, and replace a catheter bag. And there is less likelihood of infection than might be with an extended period of an indwelling catheter.

So if you are already IC, just tell the doctor and the hospital staff. You should not even bat an eye of being worried about it. It is just part of what they are trained in and it is not something to be embarrassed about. While to you and I this might seem a big deal, it really isn't for them. They would much rather have you tell them so they can either use a catheter or a disposable brief than have to change wet bedding.

Just don't stress over the diaper thing, I assure you that there is absolutely no reason to do so.

My best wishes for you with your procedure and I hope all goes well with the surgery and a speedy recovery.

- - - Updated - - -

cm90210 said:
I’ve had a number of surgeries and each time my experience is that the hospital calls a week or two ahead of time and goes through all the details you need to know before coming - and also does a full history of all major systems. I’ve notified them at that time of my bedwetting history and the majority of the time, they’ve told me to bring what I normal wear to bed to surgery.

I agree with the others who have indicated that this information given over the phone - may or may not be passed on to the people taking care of you on the day you actually get to the hospital for surgery. In most cases for me, the people checking me in and stuff, had to go through everything again.

ON the times when I’ve had to take a hospital stay, I’ve taken with me print paper copies of my major medical history, medications, bedwetting and need for diapers while sleeping. These I gave to nurses, etc. when I checked in, and also saved one for the nurse on the floor once I got into my room. It seems that not all information gets passed from staff-to-staff.

If you have a major problem having a catheter, you might have to communicate this multiple times in order to get it accommodated.

Also, If you choose not to wear a diaper at all, I know that on my spouse’s hospital floor, they have a “no-diaper” policy. Their patients either have catheters or NOTHING. They just have accidents right in the bed and then the staff has to change them. The idea is to prevent CNA staff from being lazy and relying too much on diapers and not helping people get out of bed and into the bathroom. It’s possible and maybe even normal that when you get up to your room, having accidents in the bed wont single you out at all. Having diapers might even be unusual...

Also, I’d recommend bringing your own diaper supplies with you to the hospital. They dont always have them - at least in the states - and the ones they do are not very good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Holy cow cm90210! I am not sure what state you might be living in, or the hospitals that you have had to go to, but that is certainly not the case in areas I have lived in. My spouse has had surgeries almost every year, and I myself have had a few, as well as other family members, and in no case have I ever seen where someone is expected to just have an accident in bed because they have a "no diaper" policy. That seems like something out of the dark ages to be certain! I am not saying I disbelieve you, but everywhere I have been and in multiple types of surgery and among many different locations, that is so far from what I have seen.

I was with someone who just had hip replacement surgery and as I was with this person in recovery, she had been placed in a diaper either before or after the procedure. She had no knowledge of this happening. And it was a good thing, as until the spinal block wore off, she had no control and twice was changed before it wore off. There certainly was not a no diaper policy there and it was likely much easier than having to deal with how critically sterile that catheterization has to be, both during insertion, as well as care while it is in place and the removal. The last thing one needs after surgery is getting a urinary tract infection that could spread to other areas and affect your recovery.

If someone told me that the hospital I was staying in had a "no diaper" policy and if I did not have a catheter I would simply have to wet the bed, I certainly would find another hospital and doctor. That is absolutely ridiculous and makes no sense whatsoever. Instead of training and monitoring nurses to make sure they are properly checking on patients, helping them to the bathroom when they are able, and also changing diapers when they need to be, they would rather have patients have no protection and experience the embarassment of having the whole bedding changed? Let alone the exposure of nurses, and those responsible for laundry to things that would otherwise be easily disposed of in a diaper.

Come on, really? What is next? I guess newborn babies will have to have catheters in the hospital because nurses don't check them and change them frequently enough? Why would this be different than adults who are incontinent? Dang...

Or is this coming from an assumption that people would rather use a diaper than go to the bathroom --and that nurses would rather change a wet diaper than the time involved to get the patient up and help them go pee in the toilet? Oh my heavens!! What a thought!!!

But now that perhaps the OP is even more concerned after this discussion than before.... I want to reassure the OP that MOST hospitals and doctors will work with patients in a very understanding and compassionate manner. There is much more attention to dignity and what the patient desires than even five or ten years ago. And incontinence is something that is common and expected --even among those who are not IC, but may experience this during surgery and anesthesia. Hence, they are prepared to deal with it, and are willing to listen to your needs.

Do not be shy about sharing you are IC and whether or not you would rather have a diaper than a catheter. In some cases, you may not have a choice, but in many cases, you will.

Teddy bear cowboy.
Thanks for info, as a point of interest my last surgery was spinal anaesthetic however no use of catheter or diaper happened or even mentioned and result was after surgery I had retention from hell and eventually an accident but still no protection other than a bed pad. This is why I want to mention it this time around as i find being let to wet your bed is far more embarrassing/uncomfortable than wearing a diaper. The temporary paralysis makes cleaning up yourself impossible until it’s well worn off. I am in Australia so perhaps we have different protocols.

I had my left knee replaced at the end of April and my right knee replaced during the summer of 2013. In both cases, there were some minor complications, and I was in hospital for over a week. I have urge urinary incontinence and wear a diaper 24/7. During my times in hospital, the nurses and nurses’ aides were great about changing my diaper for me about every single 4 hours. That went on until I was able to get out of bed well enough to change my own diaper. There are many things to worry about when you are contemplating surgery, but the ability and willingness of the hospital staff to manage your incontinence should not be one of the major worries.

Hi Guys thought I would give you an update. My surgery was postponed but finally went ahead a week ago and unfortunately wasn’t a good experience. I discussed issues with nursing staff prior to my admission and it was far less embarrassing than I worried about. The problem was that it was scheduled day surgery and on the day of surgery staff were in a hurry to prepare me and nothing was said of ways to take care of continence issues and it’s my fault as I should have spoken up at this point. Before I knew it I was wheeled off in just a gown and regular underwear. The spinal anaesthetic was terrible I think he found the spine caveat on the eighth puncture and my back is still bruised and very sore plus it wasn’t 100% effective this time. Once I was in recovery about 1 hour on the block began to fade slightly and I was hit with pain from my lower back around to pubic area even though o was still paralysed at this point I thought it felt like bladder pain and called nursing staff . They gave me pain killers and eventually it eased but that’s when I realised I had literally flooded bed. I was so embarrassed, I couldn’t move or feel anything and worst thing is I’m in day surgery recovery in a room with other patients and no privacy. I called for a nurse and tried to quietly say I had an accident and she tried to reassure my it was probably just a little blood or betadine that had run down and I was feeling so on a public room I’m trying to explain that it’s an accident awns I’m really wet,note I couldn’t actually feel it at this time only when I put my hand down and everything was soaked. Finally they pulled curtains around and I tried to sit up and removed my underwear with the dexterity of a beached whale. They finally removed the sheets and roughly got a new one under me but surprisingly no clean up was offered I ended up laying back down un clean and damp. And I was trembling I was so embarrassed and strained. I desperately wanted to go home but still had many more hours before that happened. I would have been much more comfortable diapered or even Cathed for that matter, I wish I spoke up that morning and insisted on a plan post surgery. The nurses were lovely but oddly seemed out of there comfort zone when helping me and almost not sure what to do.
Thanks again for the support I have recieved here and a lesson learned. This was a relatively minor surgery but probably worst in problems and embarrassment.

What can I say, we did tell you to speak up and wear a diaper. Chock this up as a hard lesson learned, and next time take better precautions. Also, it sounds like the nurses were quite busy but handled your quick sheet changing matter of factly. It makes sense they wouldn't bother thuroughly cleaning you up down there too. When a patient has one accident they are very lilely to have a second, and you would be leaving in just a couple of hours and had not requested a diaper.

It really sounds like you were unnecessarily embarrassed about it all too, which of course only led to an even greater, unnecessary, and preventable embarrassment. Chock that up as another hard lesson learned, and don't be so embarrassed over needing a diaper.

Good luck on your surgery. Thanks for this post I am getting ready to have surgery as well next month and was worrying how to approach this subject. Your post has been a big help for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back