Are there any foods/drinks that worsen your incontinence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tw89

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
So I know everyone is different, but im curious to hear what foods or drinks worsen your incontinence.I also know there are certain foods that can make things worse, but not everyone is triggered by those.

For me,I haven't really realized any drinks that worsen my incontinence besides alcohol, but fast food or fried stuff worsens my incontinence also spicy stuff.

One word... "Beer"

Soda, (pop as some say) coffee and beer.

Salad Bars. I really do like a good salad bar, but there are some that spray their produce with certain preservatives (sulfites) to keep them fresh looking and prevent browning. These sprays will trigger sudden, uncontrollable, bowel issues for me. I don't suffer from bowel issues normally (only occasionally from sickness/bad food). But if a restaurant/store uses these sprays on their salads it only takes about an hour for the effects to kick in. Eating salads sprayed with that stuff is more effective than phospho-soda or other pre-medical digestive clearing procedures.

Other than that, caffeine. Caffeine drinks will usually mean more than normal changes throughout the day for me. I'm not sure if it's because of the caffeine, or the fact that ingesting those drinks usually causes me to drink more water or those drinks are larger than what I'd normally drink (a bottle of water).

ESPF said:
One word... "Beer"

very true all my life Beer = wet bed.

Llayden said:
Salad Bars. I really do like a good salad bar, but there are some that spray their produce with certain preservatives (sulfites) to keep them fresh looking and prevent browning. These sprays will trigger sudden, uncontrollable, bowel issues for me. I don't suffer from bowel issues normally (only occasionally from sickness/bad food). But if a restaurant/store uses these sprays on their salads it only takes about an hour for the effects to kick in. Eating salads sprayed with that stuff is more effective than phospho-soda or other pre-medical digestive clearing procedures.

Other than that, caffeine. Caffeine drinks will usually mean more than normal changes throughout the day for me. I'm not sure if it's because of the caffeine, or the fact that ingesting those drinks usually causes me to drink more water or those drinks are larger than what I'd normally drink (a bottle of water).

I was just about to post the same thing. I had a salad and apple cider for dinner last night and woke up to a very bad mess. I don’t know what the outcome would have been if I was awake but I usually don’t have bowel issues.

mayhem said:
I was just about to post the same thing. I had a salad and apple cider for dinner last night and woke up to a very bad mess. I don’t know what the outcome would have been if I was awake but I usually don’t have bowel issues.

It took me forever to link the occasional issues I was having with the salad bar of all things. I had my suspicions and doubts, then some research revealed that certain places spray their produce with this stuff. I've had overnight issues like you describe, but most of the time I'll know within an hour if an establishment uses that stuff.

For some reason, apple juice always goes right through me. Faster than coffee does too.

I was told that pretty much everything I love exacerbates it, lol. Not just alcohol and spicy foods, but also chocolate, any acidic foods - not just obvious things like orange juice - but also tomato sauce, dairy products, caffeine, and so on. I love Italian food, so if you were to deconstruct chicken parmigiana with pasta and a glass of red wine (acidic AND alcoholic), it's like a perfect storm for the bladder, hahaha

I was given a whole load of things to avoid by my continence nurse. Like i took any notice.

Only beer affects my bladder as far as I can tell. Aside from that, it will do its own thing regardless of what I consume.

Hi, basically everything I drink causes me to P a lot more and I have always been one of those people who always drink something whether it’s water or coffee or tea or the occasional beer or wine so I’m pretty much screwed as far as that’s concerned, especially now since my vision is so much worse and walking around just takes a lot longer and is a lot slower. As far as eating things and accidents, I’m trying to eat a lot healthier and I am currently taking Metformin which given the right combination of food and that pill will make me have an accident a few hours later, it actually happened me the other night because I usually don’t eat fast food type things I had french fries and I think all the oil from that interacted with my Met Forman and two hours later I need to change my diaper in a bad way luckily it was right before bed anyways. Since I am in diapers 24 seven anyways I don’t really care much about the amount of wedding that I do but if I didn’t take note of everything that causes me about why accident I would be going through way more diapers on a daily basis and that’s just not fun to do plus I have a part-time job somewhere can’t really afford to be changing my diaper like five times a day. I tend to stay away from spicy food which is a bummer because I love Thai food . Sorry for any miss spellings but I am using voice to text to type this as it is a lot easier and go and p sorry for any miss spellings but I am using voice to text to type this as it is a lot easier.

Yes - sure... : Coffee, carbonated and sweet drinks, Beer, green tea, also drinks with a lot of acid like orange juice.

Babyboypirate said:
...I will almost certainly have an accident. I also drink a lot of milk and soda so that probably doesn't help in general.

A favorite of mine is milk and Pepsi together. It's delicious but it's not very kind to my system.

Stuff that contains alcohol or caffeine.
But I really don´t mind. A live without coffee or a nice cold beer is not worth living. I gladly change a few diapers more to enjoy these fine things.

Soda and cheese- I don't really drink or eat either, but it makes things worse when I do. Especially soda.

Leeks make Bert fountain like a geyser .

Since my gall bladder issues are going awol (I have a bag full of marbles as a gall bladder) I actually cannot stomach very much fat at all, Bert decides to pay me back for having anything that is considered high fat content and I end up with liquid in my bag. I am so very grateful that I now have a colostomy to combat my issues, I would absolutely hate the "ring burn" that would happen with the amount of time I end up with liquid.

Thankfully I desperately need to diet anyway AND cut out as much fat as possible, (recent ultrasound to see how the gallbladder is, (I was given the option, based on the results, whether I wanted it "whipping out" or not, I chose to wait and see how it goes, even though the pain is immense, I really don't wish to go into hospital and go under the knife, even another keyhole surgery) however also highlighted a fatty liver) :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back