Dealing with I/C and nappies on holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pongoandperdi15

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Ok so I've been incontinent for four years now just urinary and every time I've been on holiday I've tried various solutions to deal with wearing a nappy round the pool/on the beach and being able to swim when I want but none of them have worked, as you all know adult nappies aren't exactly the easiest of things to take off without being obvious.

So I tried the idea of using the insert pads that didn't really work they just fell out.

And I think last year I wrapped a towel round and took my nappy off each time I wanted to swim.

Both these ideas weren't great and so i thought does anyone have a better idea.

Now my next idea is to invest in one of the snuggleblanks swim nappies which are like ordinary nappies but primarily for containing bowel movements however because they are waterproof and have the leakguards I was going to do what I do at home and place a baby nappy inside this which I can easily remove without much faff go for a swim then nip to the toilet and place another one inside after but my question is will it work has anyone had any experience?

I grew up swimming, was captain of my high school swim team, and got back in the pool after a knee injury meant I couldn't run anymore. When my night time issues started to slowly become daytime issues, swimming was one of the HARDEST things to try and deal with. It has been exceptionally difficult to try and determine how much or what kind of protection may or may not be necessary.

For the most part, I don't wear anything if I'm at the pool. My issues are urinary which, if we're all honest here, isn't a problem in a pool and especially fine in natural waters. If I'm having a rare fecal issue, I abstain from the pool as it's not safe. If I'm at the pool, I'm swimming laps. This means I'm in the water almost the entire time and am only out of water to and from the showers.

My solution that works the best for me in situation where I may just be spending a day at the beach (lake, river, or ocean) where an entire day spent around people, in and out of the water, has been Connie Togglz Swim Shorts. They are basically a thin neoprene pair of shorts, that have netting in the crotch like a normal swim short (to support an inco garment) and adjustable leg seals. They are primarily intended for fecal containment and have no real absorbency.

However, they look like plain swimming gear, or can be worn under regular board shorts. The leg seals work very well and can contain a wetting accident until you can either get to the water or showers. If I'm at the beach, I will wear them from the house with a large absorbent pad in them (I use Abri-San 7-11's). The pad is more than sufficient to last for a while, or an accident or two. Before getting into the water I'll remove the pad and toss like normal, then enjoy the water. If I know I'm getting out of the water for any considerable length of time (lunch, relaxing in the sun, nap, etc) then I'll simply go the changing areas/toilets and put another pad in place. I am much less concerned with leaks in this environment, but I've never experienced any either. At least nothing "catastrophic".

This system has proven to be very adaptable, yet very discreet. The shorts are really comfortable and provide excellent leakage protection. The seals work very well, well enough that I actually use them as a cover for my regular protection in the winter while skiing or hiking. Because they are neoprene, they have an inherent water repellency to them. This means that if you aren't really swimming (wading, splashing around, or just hiking in the rain) they can protect a diaper/pad from being saturated by the environment. They seal well enough that they'll even keep most of the water out if sudden immersion takes place (a friend shoves you in unexpectedly). But swimming will allow water in (and out).

The system works. Your idea sounds very similar. If your concerns are the time spent out of the water (which makes sense) then you should try your system at home first. Spend a day using your system around the house and see if it will work for you. Your choice of padding may prove to be insufficient or overkill, but the only way to know is by using the system. Identify the possible failure points and practice using it correctly. Practice changing into and out of, and swapping the padding. It's harder to do "in the field" if you've never tried it before.

Yeah that's the issue normal swimming I'm fine with no protection but being in and out the pool I want something easier, think by the sound of things the swim nappy and pad seems to work well think I'll roll with that, can only try got to be better than previous years solutions

Llayden said:
This system has proven to be very adaptable, yet very discreet. The shorts are really comfortable and provide excellent leakage protection. The seals work very well, well enough that I actually use them as a cover for my regular protection in the winter while skiing or hiking. Because they are neoprene, they have an inherent water repellency to them. This means that if you aren't really swimming (wading, splashing around, or just hiking in the rain) they can protect a diaper/pad from being saturated by the environment. They seal well enough that they'll even keep most of the water out if sudden immersion takes place (a friend shoves you in unexpectedly). But swimming will allow water in (and out).

Wow! I think I need these!

I've mostly been just wearing pull-ups to the beach and changed every time I went swimming/returned back. With all those people around that was... Humiliating, to say the least. Even though I tried to be discrete.

At work I do it all the time to save me having to find a restroom, just pull the baby nappy out works quite effectively

- - - Updated - - -

For reference http://www.blankencare.com/childadult-special-needs-swim-nappy-688-p.asp

This is what I'm looking at as you can see it's water proof and has a set of leak guards, so the baby nappy would provide your absorption, then just pull it out go swim and go to the look after and replace it

I also use a pocket diaper like llayden does. You can take the insert pad out, and there is a little bit of terry lining that makes up the pocket, and the lest seal well enough too. This is just enough to catch a little bit of pee so you won't drip all over the place, but also not too much that it will absorb much of anything from the pool/ocean.

I did quickly figure out that when leaving the water I need to break the leg seal so the water can drain out enough. This can be a little embarrassing if others are around, but it is far less embarrassing than having to outright change with others around you.

When you're out of the water (or on your way there), just discretely reinsert the pad and that should be enough to get you to where you can change.

Unfortunately didn't receive the swim nappy in time for holiday so can't really report back on if it worked, for the mean time stuck with good old adult ones and changing under a towel or going to the room never mind there's always next time!

I think you fellas have an easier time of it than the girls. XD Most of ours swimming suits are too 'revealing' to even wear a pad under for protection at the beach.

*eyeballs that mint bee pattern Blankencare swim pant though* Because bees.

CuddleWoozle said:
I think you fellas have an easier time of it than the girls. XD Most of ours swimming suits are too 'revealing' to even wear a pad under for protection at the beach.

*eyeballs that mint bee pattern Blankencare swim pant though* Because bees.

Well, just wear wider swimming shorts. Seen plenty girls/women who wear them. And I very hardly doubt they are all padded.

I don´t wear a diaper at the beach/pool.
For swimming I wear a wide shorts over a tight fitting one. And in the tight one I put one of these cotton diaper boosters. If you really go swimming there is just no way water can be kept away from your padding.
The advantage of the cotton booster is that it doesn´t swell up or even disintegrates like disposable stuff. The sole purpose is to delay the flooding(works even when it´s already soaked with water). So there will be no stream breaking off between your legs that indicates you piss where you are standing. Is just rinses down your legs. And that´s the worst possible case.
If you keep getting into the water from time to time your towel is soaked anyway and it does not matter if you loose some extra liquid in addition to that. Provided that you are well hydrated ofc so it won´t even smell.

Cheers

LifeInPlastic said:
Well, just wear wider swimming shorts. Seen plenty girls/women who wear them. And I very hardly doubt they are all padded.

I don´t wear a diaper at the beach/pool.
For swimming I wear a wide shorts over a tight fitting one. And in the tight one I put one of these cotton diaper boosters. If you really go swimming there is just no way water can be kept away from your padding.
The advantage of the cotton booster is that it doesn´t swell up or even disintegrates like disposable stuff. The sole purpose is to delay the flooding(works even when it´s already soaked with water). So there will be no stream breaking off between your legs that indicates you piss where you are standing. Is just rinses down your legs. And that´s the worst possible case.
If you keep getting into the water from time to time your towel is soaked anyway and it does not matter if you loose some extra liquid in addition to that. Provided that you are well hydrated ofc so it won´t even smell.

Cheers

I've never seen them for sale anywhere around here, so I didn't know they actually made swim shorts for girls. Looked it up, and I'm still not sure it could hide stuff that well because the cut of the butt on a lot of them is too short. Basically they're cut so if you bend down, the legs in the back raise up, possibly enough to show your butt cheeks. I can't tell for sure because I'm not in a position to try them on. LOL Which is kind of why I don't shop for clothes online. About the only thing I might order is a t-shirt because I know generally how they'll fit me and the styles I like.

Anyhow I don't go the the beach/pool that often and the few times I've gone to a resort that had a swim park, I just didn't wear to the pool. I looked at swim diapers and found that they're basically to keep from having poo escape, so I just decided to skip it. My method was that before going to the pools, I'd stop, go to the bathroom and go until I was quite sure I was empty. Then go swim for a while. I'd stop after a bit and go try and pee again. But this only works because I do have some small degree of control, but if I hit a coughing fit or even entertain the idea of sneezing, it's coming. All of it. Once I start going, I don't stop until it's out. Hence the frequent "I'mma go pee" breaks.

CuddleWoozle said:
I've never seen them for sale anywhere around here, so I didn't know they actually made swim shorts for girls. Looked it up, and I'm still not sure it could hide stuff that well because the cut of the butt on a lot of them is too short. Basically they're cut so if you bend down, the legs in the back raise up, possibly enough to show your butt cheeks. I can't tell for sure because I'm not in a position to try them on. LOL Which is kind of why I don't shop for clothes online. About the only thing I might order is a t-shirt because I know generally how they'll fit me and the styles I like.

Do they really need to have "for girls" written on it?
I just searched "loose fit swim shorts" on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...HMOPKENHDPMW&rh=i:aps,k:loose+fit+swim+shorts
Just look at the printings.
There are even ones with "cute" drawn elephants, rainbow colored stuff and all sorts of colors and prints. Don´t fall for marketing crap like "for xyz". There is stuff where "for men" or "for women" makes sense. But a loose fitting shorts that does not require any body form at all(the point of it) is like socks - gender neutral. Everything that claims otherwise is marketing propaganda.
And you can just send em back if they don´t fit. Which is unlikely because loose fit is very adaptive if you hit the size range roughly. ^^
Might consider giving it a try. Maybe it helps you to go to a beach/pool/water park with a bit more confidence.

Cheers

LifeInPlastic said:
Do they really need to have "for girls" written on it?
I just searched "loose fit swim shorts" on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...HMOPKENHDPMW&rh=i:aps,k:loose+fit+swim+shorts
Just look at the printings.
There are even ones with "cute" drawn elephants, rainbow colored stuff and all sorts of colors and prints. Don´t fall for marketing crap like "for xyz". There is stuff where "for men" or "for women" makes sense. But a loose fitting shorts that does not require any body form at all(the point of it) is like socks - gender neutral. Everything that claims otherwise is marketing propaganda.
And you can just send em back if they don´t fit. Which is unlikely because loose fit is very adaptive if you hit the size range roughly. ^^
Might consider giving it a try. Maybe it helps you to go to a beach/pool/water park with a bit more confidence.

Cheers

Usually it DOES mean it's meant to fit curvy figures better. :p There IS a major difference in fits between women's jeans and men's jeans. Sure, I could wear the guys version, but they're not cut comfortably for my hips (and I've got issues with my right hip. XD). I'm stuck wearing men's pants at work and it's a nightmare because women 'change sizes' on a near constant basis. One day, they're loose and fine, the next they're trying to cut me in half.

Also I shy away from the shorts because it's going to be weird feeling to wear what amounts to two bottoms just so I can have an excuse to wear a 'diaper' in the pool. I feel like my method does me OK at this point. If I ever got into swimming more often than once or twice a year, I might look into it.

That and the swim suit I do have has a sort of fake skirt attached. But that's just because I'm terribly self-conscious and worry about people staring at my butt. (I have a couple of people at work who are constantly going "OMG. Dat booty!" And I haven't got the heart to tell them "OMG! Dat diaper!" XD)

But it IS good to know that the option is there. :3 (And those are some seriously freakin' cute elephants.)

The pads I used didn't have an adhesive strip, very hard to get a pad with an adhesive strip that has good absorption. So far on holiday this year ive worn a nappy and it's been ok think I'll buy a swim nappy next time but the hotel room is a stone's throw away so I just nipped back and took it off had a swim then changed my shorts again. Been to the beach once and totally forgot I had a nappy on ran straight onto the sea, it took some time for water to penetrate through my tied shorts and the leg guards but when it did I was a wet soggy mess, thankfully didn't swell too much so wasn't obvious.

I've also had to resort to buying more pads the amount of water I have to drink here is unbelievable so I'm going through pads at the rate of light! Or at least I am if I want to be comfortable in this heat. Luckily in Ixia (Rhodes)) theyck them in the local supermarket

If I'm going to be near the pool or the beach I use the swim mates from north shore. These work really well for me, and if I have an accident while swimming I don't worry about it.

As most have pointed out you can get swim nappies that look like swimming shorts or trunks. But be careful, a lot of them are only designed to hold solid matter and not urine. you can get ones that hold both but they can be quite expensive. Despite most urban rumours most swimming pools do not have a dye in them that detects urine and most have enough chlorine in them to take care of any accidents. They do also make swim wear for women that offer protection. This is a UK site that will give you some ideas. https://www.respond.co.uk/product-category/swimwear/continence-swimwear/

Last edited:
CuddleWoozle said:

But that's just because I'm terribly self-conscious and worry about people staring at my butt. (I have a couple of people at work who are constantly going "OMG. Dat booty!" And I haven't got the heart to tell them "OMG! Dat diaper!" XD)

But it IS good to know that the option is there. :3 (And those are some seriously freakin' cute elephants.)

It seems there is a valid reason for your worries that people stare at your butt. They do - simply because of "dat booty". There is just no way to ignore a juicy booty. :p Maybe just enjoy the fame(even if that look is spiced up by the padding - no one knows). xD
But yeah, I know that fear. Especially if it´s time for a change. Despite knowing nothing can be seen. Alas, fear is not a rational thing.

Damn, I thought these elephants would convince you. ^^

LifeInPlastic said:
It seems there is a valid reason for your worries that people stare at your butt. They do - simply because of "dat booty". There is just no way to ignore a juicy booty. :p Maybe just enjoy the fame(even if that look is spiced up by the padding - no one knows). xD
But yeah, I know that fear. Especially if it´s time for a change. Despite knowing nothing can be seen. Alas, fear is not a rational thing.

Damn, I thought these elephants would convince you. ^^

I was honestly at work going "I wonder if I could find some kind of cute rash guard top to go with those elephant shorts...they were awfully cute." XD

And yes...I have accused various co-workers of being pirates...because they're always after da booooooty. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back