Gaming Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffydl

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent gaming laptop. Im looking to spend about 2,000-2,500 on a good laptop.

There are some "starter" gaming laptops in the $1000-$1500ish range (USD anyways, not sure in other countries with a different version of the "dollar" like Australia or Canada), so assuming you are talking $2000-$2500 USD you should be able to get something really good, I cant give any recommendations though as I've never gotten into computers THAT MUCH lol.

I just order a laptop. Dell/Alienware M17 R5 In the USA they have a $200 off. So the total Cost was $2207.47. It 2.2ghz But all 6 cores can overclock to 3.9 GHz Or 4 core can Upgrade to 4.0 GHz and Two Cores can upgrade to 4.1 GHz or a single 4.1 GHz.

Also looking into using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier using Desktop GPU to make the Laptop faster when my laptop GPU start slowing down.

Here my spec. Anything I could upgrade later I went for the low cost. Ram and hard drive.

8th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 4.1GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Windows 10 Pro (64bit) English
16GB, DDR4, 2400MHz
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1070 OC with 8GB GDDR5
512GB PCIe M.2 Class 50 SSD
Black
17.3-inch QHD (2560 x 1440) 120Hz TN+WVA Anti-Glare 400-nits NVIDIA G-SYNC with Tobii Eye-tracking
Killer 1435 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1

This is the comparison of the 8750H vs 7700HQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpALDcYvffI

One thing fluffydl is doing your own research. Watch a lot of Youtube videos. Asking does not always help. Also look at the games you play. Then type in Game and what required. Some will want CPU or GPU power Others might need Ram or SSD drives. Because one of those factors is a bottleneck.

For me, I pick a system that was well rounded and I can upgrade my self later

Last edited:
If you are still looking, I own an Omen (HP) laptop bought it for about $1000 and it has been working really well. (It does NOT have a disk drive)
It can run Skyrim on Ultra (several texture mods included), Overwatch on High, (my two most demanding games) with no problem.
Plus, it you only spend 1/2 of your budget on it, you will have a lot for games. (Or you could build a desktop) The reason I bought the laptop was for portability (I assume that it why you want it as well) so whatever you chose, have fun.

angelicprince said:
If you are still looking, I own an Omen (HP) laptop bought it for about $1000 and it has been working really well. (It does NOT have a disk drive)
It can run Skyrim on Ultra (several texture mods included), Overwatch on High, (my two most demanding games) with no problem.
Plus, it you only spend 1/2 of your budget on it, you will have a lot for games. (Or you could build a desktop) The reason I bought the laptop was for portability (I assume that it why you want it as well) so whatever you chose, have fun.
I have not had a laptop that had a disk drive hum never. I also have not had a laptop with a DvD-rom drive in 5 years.

Note Angelicprince. A lot of game manufactur are switching to Quad core or 6 core setups also games like Star Citizen which is still not out. Requires, SSD, 16GB of ram or more and Quad core or the game is unplayable.

Lestat said:
I have not had a laptop that had a disk drive hum never. I also have not had a laptop with a DvD-rom drive in 5 years.

Note Angelicprince. A lot of game manufactur are switching to Quad core or 6 core setups also games like Star Citizen which is still not out. Requires, SSD, 16GB of ram or more and Quad core or the game is unplayable.

mine has a ssd and an hdd as well as 16 gb ram, so while it could work for you, I understand if you want to get something bigger.

angelicprince said:
mine has a ssd and an hdd as well as 16 gb ram, so while it could work for you, I understand if you want to get something bigger.
For me it not about size. But more about what inside. As you an look at the list I only had 512GB PCIe M.2 Class 50 But I want to add another 512 GB PCIe as well as a 2tb 7200 Hard drive.

Lestat said:
For me it not about size.

Sorry I should have clarified better, I meant something with more power behind it.

angelicprince said:
Sorry I should have clarified better, I meant something with more power behind it.
Question I like to ask you. What can you upgrade on a laptop? Or what you think you can upgrade inside and out. Then we can talk.

Lestat said:
Question I like to ask you. What can you upgrade on a laptop? Or what you think you can upgrade inside and out. Then we can talk.

It appears to me that that nothing I say would change your mind as your first post is about having a desktop. (Which if you reread my first post I recommended as well) the laptop is about portability. I have not been home all summer and having my laptop is amazing as I have spent time in hospital and traveling.

That being said, a google search can show what is upgradable. for quick example, my ram can be upgraded to 32gb pretty easy. are desktops going to be "better" yes and no. it depends on what the user wants/ needs it for. every person is different and requires different things. One person might want to drop thousands of dollars for the top of the line everything, while some are continent with getting what works for them and using what is left to do other things.

angelicprince said:
It appears to me that that nothing I say would change your mind as your first post is about having a desktop. (Which if you reread my first post I recommended as well) the laptop is about portability. I have not been home all summer and having my laptop is amazing as I have spent time in hospital and travelling.
I think you are confusing your self with the new i7 8 gen is a 6 core mobile CPU. See My first post was specs of a 17.3inch Laptop Nivda 1070 8GB Which is also portable 10 LB. So yes I can put it in a big and do the same as you. Take it on trips use it in hotels and such. The only thing I talk about that a desktop Part. Is the Alienware Graphic Amuflier which uses a Desktop GPU to enhance the speed of an ageing laptop GPU. But we both have LAPTOPS.

That being said, a google search can show what is upgradable. for quick example, my ram can be upgraded to 32gb pretty easy. are desktops going to be "better" yes and no. it depends on what the user wants/ needs it for. every person is different and requires different things. One person might want to drop thousands of dollars for the top of the line everything, while some are continent with getting what works for them and using what is left to do other things.
While your stuck with Ram and such. I am looking a few years down the line. So paying a little more Might be beneficial. Not sure how old your laptop is. But if you want to try newer games Look into your Omen graphics accelerator. $300 Plus you have to buy a new desktop GPU. Before buying a New laptop. But it can extend your gaming ability some. It has to share some of your resources so that a small pitfall. But it plugs in play so it does has its pros and con.

Now the Alienware Graphics Amplifier Which cost $200 Plus you have to buy a new GPU. Which you have to plug into the computer before turning it on take over as the dedicated GPU and you have to turn off the computer before unplugging. Pros and cons. You don't have to share resources more fps.

Some area I can point people is Notebookreview.com and Tomshardware.com so people can research laptops.

Razer Core and the Alienware Graphics Amplifier,
[video=youtube;FHwXOwTgYB0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHwXOwTgYB0&t=542s[/video]

I did get my laptop the other day. Oh, it was worth the $2207.47. Games I had an issue with I ran around 20 to 50fps Now running 115 fps.

so i ordered a laptop and it comes in on monday. Cant wait to play elex. my specs for the laptop are below.

Case 1 x Chimera PA71ES-G (NP8375), 17.3'' Full HD 1920x1080, 144Hz 9ms G-Sync Wide View 72%NTSC Matte
Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Mobile Processor (6x 2.2GHz, Turbo up to 3.9-4.2GHz)
Memory 1 x 16GB [8GB x 2] 2400MHz DDR4 SO-DIMM Laptop Memory - Major Brand
Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 - VR Ready
M.2 Solid State Drive 1 x 1TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD -- Read: 545MB/s, Write: 525MB/s
Primary Hard Drive 1 x 2 TB Laptop Solid State Hybrid Drive with 8GB MLC 128MB Cache - Single Drive
Media Card Reader / Writer 1 x Built-in 6-in-1 Media Card Reader/Writer [Laptop]
Sound Card 1 x High Definition Audio Interface
Network Card 1 x Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps LAN [Laptop]
Internal Wireless Network Adapter 1 x 802.11 ac Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Combo
Operating System 1 x Windows 10 Home + Office 365 Trial [FREE 30 Day Trial] - (64-bit) [NB]
USB Ports 1 x Built-in 1x Thunderbolt™ 3 / USB 3.1 (Gen 2) Combo Port (Type-C) + 2x USB 3.1 (Gen 2) Ports + 2x USB 3.0 (1x powered USB port, AC/DC) Ports [Laptop]
Webcam 1 x Built-in 2.0 Mega Pixels Digital Web Video Camera

I really hope you enjoy it and may your games be fun and engaging allowing you to escape our world to play in theirs.

fluffydl said:
so i ordered a laptop and it comes in on monday. Cant wait to play elex. my specs for the laptop are below.

Case 1 x Chimera PA71ES-G (NP8375), 17.3'' Full HD 1920x1080, 144Hz 9ms G-Sync Wide View 72%NTSC Matte
Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Mobile Processor (6x 2.2GHz, Turbo up to 3.9-4.2GHz)
Memory 1 x 16GB [8GB x 2] 2400MHz DDR4 SO-DIMM Laptop Memory - Major Brand
Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 - VR Ready
M.2 Solid State Drive 1 x 1TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD -- Read: 545MB/s, Write: 525MB/s
Primary Hard Drive 1 x 2 TB Laptop Solid State Hybrid Drive with 8GB MLC 128MB Cache - Single Drive
Media Card Reader / Writer 1 x Built-in 6-in-1 Media Card Reader/Writer [Laptop]
Sound Card 1 x High Definition Audio Interface
Network Card 1 x Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps LAN [Laptop]
Internal Wireless Network Adapter 1 x 802.11 ac Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Combo
Operating System 1 x Windows 10 Home + Office 365 Trial [FREE 30 Day Trial] - (64-bit) [NB]
USB Ports 1 x Built-in 1x Thunderbolt™ 3 / USB 3.1 (Gen 2) Combo Port (Type-C) + 2x USB 3.1 (Gen 2) Ports + 2x USB 3.0 (1x powered USB port, AC/DC) Ports [Laptop]
Webcam 1 x Built-in 2.0 Mega Pixels Digital Web Video Camera

Cool Deal ProStar a seller of Clevo/Sugar Laptops. The only real change on our setup is I oped in for a better screen while you oped in more space.

I bought an expensive laptop once. It died just short of three years. I was very unhappy. :frown:

ShippoFox said:
I bought an expensive laptop once. It died just short of three years. I was very unhappy. :frown:

A lot of people buy a new laptop not knowing the maintenance required owning a new laptop. I was having my Car smog or something. The kid there complains that his computer could not play games anymore was very Jerky while in gameplay. We took it apart and found it was full of Pet hair and Dust.

Just a suggestion for people if you have pets buy a filter that prevents pet hair to get into the computer.

Lestat said:
A lot of people buy a new laptop not knowing the maintenance required owning a new laptop. I was having my Car smog or something. The kid there complains that his computer could not play games anymore was very Jerky while in gameplay. We took it apart and found it was full of Pet hair and Dust.

Just a suggestion for people if you have pets buy a filter that prevents pet hair to get into the computer.

The cats were around it a lot, so that kinda makes sense... But that didn't harm any of the cheap laptops I've had. I also used to keep it covered any time it was powered down. I have another cheap one now and I don't need a highly expensive one anymore. I have a good desktop pc now (and the case has dust filters). I hope nothing will break anytime soon, but if it does, then a desktop is easier to fix. I'd probably have gone with a desktop in the first place, but I didn't have anywhere to put one until around the time that dumb laptop died.

Laptops are great for portability, but they have their downsides.

I already ordered 32gb ram upgrade for the laptop from amazon for $280. since it cost 350 from the place i bought the laptop to upgrade to 32gb. I am also wondering if i can upgrade the cpu to a better one that has a base speed of 3.2ghz per core instead of 2.2

Just got the laptop in and it plays the new wolfenstein game with no issues. I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back