Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What makes a good pizza for you?

Coming from the Jersey Shore, I love New York style pizza. Fortunately there's a real NY style pizza restaurant about a mile from my house. They all speak Italian. You can watch them toss the pizza dough. The crust is thin, the sauce hand made and cooked for hours, the cheese top quality. I like mushrooms on my pizza and that's about it. I also like veggie pizzas if they aren't real pizzas, but fast food pizzas.

Hand-tossed crust with Canadian bacon/ham and mushroom topping is my favorite. I also like a "supreme" pizza although pepperoni does not like me, nor do I particularly like the taste of pepperoni. My favorite chain restaurant pizza is Pizza Hut (I worked at the Hut when i was in college). I also like Breadeaux Pizza (Midwestern chain, based, I believe, in Iowa).

I subscribe to the "even when it's bad, it's pretty good" philosophy of pizza. I like some better than others but the best examples of any regional pizza I've had are good enough to overcome any of my prejudices. My ideals are thicker crust or Chicago style but I've gotten to enjoy thinner crusts as well as long as they're flavorful. I don't care for pineapple on pizza (I like it most everywhere else) and the time I tried anchovies, it didn't go well. I still think it might be okay if they were put on after and not baked on.

They're also fun to make at home and when I do so, goat cheese is often an important ingredient.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Coming from the Jersey Shore, I love New York style pizza. Fortunately there's a real NY style pizza restaurant about a mile from my house. They all speak Italian. You can watch them toss the pizza dough. The crust is thin, the sauce hand made and cooked for hours, the cheese top quality. I like mushrooms on my pizza and that's about it. I also like veggie pizzas if they aren't real pizzas, but fast food pizzas.
    I always loved to go in and see the people tossing the dough up in the air. :3 It was like a show, and you could always tell the folks who were doing it because they freaking loved the job. Now we don't have any 'dough tossing' pizza places left in my area.

How many different American versions are there anyway?

I've heard Chicago, New York, Detroit...apparently 'Ohio Valley' is a thing? But I've lived here my entire life and never seen one like that. I think "West Virginia" might have been a better name. LOL

-edit-

Looked up that Ohio Valley variant and it looks freakin' disgusting. Unmelted cheese like a Lunchables pizza. XD I'd probably try it, just to see if there was anything to it, but I'm not going most of the way to West Virginia to do it. :P

I like a nice hand tossed dough. As for toppings, that's what makes Pizza interesting. I'll take a basic pepperoni or sausage, but some of the more interesting ones I've had:

Clam Pizza (Bertuccis) - actually not bad
    Greek Pizza (Paisanos Pizza among others) - gyro meat and feta cheese, black olives
    Buffalo Chicken Pizza (roadhouse down the street alas now out of business)
    San Antonio Pie - This one was described by the maker (Harley's sandwich shops in Baltiomre, doubtful that Eastern Shore native Harnley Brinsfield, despite a stint in the Navy got anywehre near San Antonio) as "Something Like A Pizza -- Only Better." Essentially it was a pizza crust with chili on it. This led to us during college (Harleys was just down the street) referring to all kinds of things as "Someting like a..."

I make a pretty good Pesto (no tomato sauce), spinach, and cheese pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Nam Repaid View Post
    New Haven pizza is the only real pizza! You haven't had pizza, apizza, (ah-BEETs) if you've never been here. The chains are to pizza like Budweiser to beer and McDonald's to hamburgers a pale crappy imitation of the real thing forced upon brainwashed Americans by greedy corporation's advertisements.
    Agreed! New Haven pizza is awesome.

When I'm not eating New Haven pizza and therefore toppings are called for, I like Hawaiian, and then meatball/sausage/onions/broccoli, artichoke hearts/goat cheese/chicken.

A few years ago I had the pleasure of visiting Italy and the pizza I ate there changed how I look at it.
    It was a thin crust baked on a stone by a wood fire, the ingredients were fresh from the market that day and was just perfect.

My favorite pizza here in the states is home made (by me) and while I don't have the bread recipe with me it does have sugar in the dough to give it just the right amount of sweetness. with a good tomato sauce, mozzarella, sausage, green pepper, and onion.