Smelly diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elenwen

Est. Contributor
Sorry, it's not a really pleasant discussion, but I have to ask nevertheless.

I've read quite a lot about how wet (not messy) diapers smell. And I have a question: am I the only one, who never had such problem?..
I mean, I usually change regularly and usually throw used ones away at least once a day, but there were times I had to wear one diaper way past the time I usually wear and even past their normal capacity.
And sure, the used ones do start smelling after several days, but not that bad, so...

Same for me. Smell is not an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If fluid intake is mostly water, then I almost never smell anything. Coffee on the other hand, and after 8 hours in the same diaper, I can smell myself. This regardless of which diaper I'm in.

I'm the same - smell is almost never an issue for me with one exception - asparagus. For those that can detect the smell of asparagus in urine (about 50% of people), it's a dead giveaway if you ate any within the last day. I realized this after having asparagus for dinner one night. The next morning when I woke up I could easily detect the distinctive smell from my wet diaper. I made sure to change frequently that day.

Not really an issue here either other than maybe my bedroom if I don't toss the diapers everyday but even then it is very faint.

It's all dependent on what you are eating and drinking. As others have said, if you're drinking water and mild fluids like milk, then there is little to no smell at all. Same with what you eat, if you eat milder stuff and avoid heavy proteins, the smell is going to be minimal.

Of course, I always change immediately and I am always quick to double bag my diapers, tie em up and toss them down the garbage shoot. I have found that the only time the smell gets bad, is if you let them sit for a while or if you let multiple diapers accumulate, I hardly ever let either of those things happen. So yeah, I don't really have a lingering smells problem, my apartment is always nursery fresh :)

It also depends (hahahahaha, that pun never gets old) on the temperature. When our AC went out at the house, my diaper bin started stinking pretty quickly. (And then the flies came. And were marching and flitting around and they made me an angry woozle. And then the cats started catching the flies and then I was a disgusted woozle.)

Also I was reminded over the last week or two here that if you spend more time out in the heat, you need to drink more than usual (more than your already more than usual) to keep your urine from getting concentrated due to evaporative losses in your body. I was surprised to see some very dark yellow tones in my diaper here last week because I spent time outside and didn't increase my intake to compensate. I wasn't exactly getting dehydrated, but it was having a big effect on the dilution of my urine. (and I wasn't having to change nearly as often!)

Thanks for your responses, everyone!

In fact, many things actually became clear.
I do only drink mild drinks and I drink quite a lot, be it hot or not... So yes, seems like all factors for the lack of smell are there...

there are a few things that you can consume that will eliminate your urine and fecal smells. you have to get them from the pharmacy and therefore you will have a virtually smell free diaper except for your body sweat odor.

I've noticed coffee gives my wet padding a stronger smell.

Even if I have clear colored urine, it still smells bad after an hour. Just normal rot smell.
I usually only have 12-14 hours available to wear and I put on plastic pants to mask it so it isnt that much of a big deal at the moment.

I've been told there was "dirty diaper" smell with my urine when I sat down next to someone in my family with a full wet diaper. I can notice it myself sometimes waft up through my shirt, or when I'm under the covers and air pushes out through them towards my face. I almost kind of like the odor mixed with baby powder scent, but I wouldn't want to expose someone else to it. I wear my diapers for about 8 to 12 hours typically if I can, so that probably explains how it gets strong.

teddytugger said:
I've been told there was "dirty diaper" smell with my urine when I sat down next to someone in my family with a full wet diaper.

Yep, parents that have put a kid or two through diapers can have developed a pretty good nose for someone in need of a diaper change, gotta watch out for that!

bambinod said:
Yep, parents that have put a kid or two through diapers can have developed a pretty good nose for someone in need of a diaper change, gotta watch out for that!

A wild TeddyTugger has appeared!
Random Stranger use Parent Nose Radar.
IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!

I was out at a McDonald's that has a big playground inside and used the bathroom in there and some lovely idiot had decided to put the used diaper bin right under the hand dryer. Uuuuugh. The smell wafting out was terrible (no poo, just rank pee). I pushed it over to the other side of the room by the toilet and re-washed my hands.

CuddleWoozle said:
IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!

I was out at a McDonald's that has a big playground inside and used the bathroom in there and some lovely idiot had decided to put the used diaper bin right under the hand dryer. Uuuuugh. The smell wafting out was terrible (no poo, just rank pee). I pushed it over to the other side of the room by the toilet and re-washed my hands.

Some people just leave home with their brains on the pillow they got up from that morning for crying out loud! Let alone leaving the common sense in the car before they go into work and punch in for the day! I swear people are getting moronic! Egads!

xpluswearer said:
Some people just leave home with their brains on the pillow they got up from that morning for crying out loud! Let alone leaving the common sense in the car before they go into work and punch in for the day! I swear people are getting moronic! Egads!

A few times I've been in a grocery store parking lot and seen a cart at some random spot in the lot with a diaper rolled up left in the cart. Probably parents changing their kid in the back seat and not wanting to drive home with the dirty diaper. But still... people put their groceries in there, y'know! Idiots.

You are hilarious Cuddle. And putting the diapers under the dryer sounds absolutely nasty. Maybe a disgruntled employee.

CuddleWoozle said:
IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!

bambinod said:
Also I was reminded over the last week or two here that if you spend more time out in the heat, you need to drink more than usual (more than your already more than usual) to keep your urine from getting concentrated due to evaporative losses in your body. I was surprised to see some very dark yellow tones in my diaper here last week because I spent time outside and didn't increase my intake to compensate. I wasn't exactly getting dehydrated, but it was having a big effect on the dilution of my urine. (and I wasn't having to change nearly as often!)
My urine is much more concentrated during the hot weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back