Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Being closed minded towards groups of people

Quote Originally Posted by willnotwill View Post
    There are only two things I can't stand in this world: People who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch.
    Those sneaky Dutch. All those damn tulips. They're really lucky that they're such nice flowers. Spreading their dang plants everywhere. (And that, my friends, was the OG "Beanie Babies" craze. LOL)

As to blocking, I have zero people in my block list, but I have in the past blocked a few people for a couple of days. Just because I was tired of dealing with them and needed to think. I unblocked them afterwards. I partly think that's what the feature is there for. When you just can't get around something with someone, take a break. :P

But then again, the people who I usually just can't get along with end up being banned for some sort of thing or another after a while, so the issue sort of resolves itself?

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleWoozle View Post
    Those sneaky Dutch. All those damn tulips. They're really lucky that they're such nice flowers. Spreading their dang plants everywhere. (And that, my friends, was the OG "Beanie Babies" craze. LOL)
    I hate tulips. They are growing like weed. I have to mow my tulips twice a week and I crush them with my wooden shoes every night.

That was a line from one of the Austin Powers movies if you hadn't caught on.

Quote Originally Posted by willnotwill View Post
    That was a line from one of the Austin Powers movies if you hadn't caught on.
    I missed that one, but I didn't feel offended in any way

I stay open-minded so I can point out faults of a group. I do it for fun.

I have a pretty extensive blocked account list on Twitter. It's a combination of removing ads I dislike (I block any account that promotes a video ad to my timeline, no exception), culling bots from my followers and keeping track of furries and/or ABDLs to avoid at cons (usually for one of the following reasons: they have views I find extremely objectionable, I think they are stupid and/or mean, because they strongly dislike babyfurs, or I think they would cause drama IRL), since I am liable to meet a lot of the people I interact with on Twitter. Maybe that makes me intolerant, but being selective when it comes to deciding who I give my time to, whether online or in person, makes everything a lot more pleasant.

I don't go out of my way to be in a bubble, but I absolutely don't tolerate certain views in my social media stream or from casual acquaintances. Strangers and people I barely know are not entitled to my attention.

I like to think the best of people, so I like to think that basically, everyone wants other people to be like them. We like it when people agree with us, it feels nice, comforting, self-reinforcing. Sometimes we even feel intelligent. Generally, whoever you are, if you find someone who likes the same stuff as you, you get on well together - it doesn't take effort to be with them, which means you get to use your energy for better things.

It does take a lot of energy to be with someone who doesn't share any interests with you. "I like birdwatching"....."oh. I like trains".... It takes effort for a train-spotter to try and enjoy birdwatching, and vice-versa. That energy can no longer be spent on better things, it is just spent on doing something you don't like doing.

Basically, it's the same with political opinions. If you find someone who shares identical political opinions to you, you get a small buzz from them agreeing with you, and it takes no energy for you to discuss those opinions with them. It *feels* nice. And conversely, it is difficult to be with someone who has wildly different political opinions from you, because it takes energy to discuss these opinions, energy that you could have spent doing something else.

And as humans, we have very clever brains that quickly learn when things cost us energy, and we develop "quick-fixes" to avoid those situations. So if someone says "I like Trump", instead of spending the energy to find out why they like Trump, we default to a "quick-fix" that saves us all that energy - we label them as a hater, a racist, or whatever. It takes far less energy to do that.

And I don't say this at all lightly - there is a good research to show this is true, and it is explained in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_RrLKIWbBg