Faulty parts? (Oven and TV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So we are on our 3rd internet router as one of our TVs keeps disconnecting from the internet, I'm starting to think since I haven't been experiencing the same thing with my phone maybe the TV has a faulty wireless signal reciever?

Also our oven eventually started worked less and less often, my family believes I broke it because I was cooking things at 500 degrees (the maximum it goes to as it's a standard oven), am I really to blame?

How long is typical for an oven to last with no problems? we got 2 or 3 years out of it problem free (from brand new) then it started not igniting the gas so we cant use the oven anymore

For the oven, look at the owner's manual. Our current one has a way to reset the temp if it doesn't coincide with a thermometer. Also make sure there's no leak. They have a gasket around the door that can wear out.

For the tv I don't know unless maybe you have a bad internet connection or not a high enough speed to stream?

Scaramouche said:
For the oven, look at the owner's manual. Our current one has a way to reset the temp if it doesn't coincide with a thermometer. Also make sure there's no leak. They have a gasket around the door that can wear out.

For the tv I don't know unless maybe you have a bad internet connection or not a high enough speed to stream?

So I see the gasket, it is in tact (in fact basically brand new), I wish it seemed like a simple problem but will probably cost more money to repair than its actually worth.

With the oven, I really dont know much other than it was working fine for the first 2 or 3 years, then it got to where it would work wonderful at times and bad or not at all on other times, it also seems like it was worse in winter.

But basically with the oven the light at the bottom would turn on, then the gas is supposed to go on and get ignited, AFAIK it may not even be turning the gas on anymore; as far as a gasket goes it doesn't appear to have one, but if it does it would be hidden well and I'm not the type to just take stuff apart not really knowing how to identify what is broken and needs replacing.

I know just 1 of the parts is nearly $100 and if it needs 2 or 3 parts at a similar cost at that point we may as well save a bit more and get another brand new oven when sales hit (original price on our oven was $1100, sale price was around $500).

As far as the TV goes, it seems to not show any signs that the internet will get disconnected, it just does, then I need to reconnect the internet, yesterday that happened like 3 times in 15 or 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Can't help so much with the gas range, I've never had much experience with them. All of ours have been electric and never had trouble with them. At least until the one that decided to set fire to itself while we were running a cleaning cycle on it. O_O (Picture me in footed Cookie Monster pajamas yelling "EVERYONE STAY BACK!" And blasting the open oven with a fire extinguisher. XD Woozle Fire Department!) Is it possibly that the gas itself is at fault? Do you have other gas appliances? Could it be that the gas pipes are fouled somehow? There's a lot more that can go wrong with the gas ranges than the electric. (Electric, you just plug it in and test it with an ohms meter. If you're getting juice, it should work, if not, it's fried.)

The TV may be having issues with it's wireless card though. I know my laptop had that same trouble when the one inside it started going bad. Everything else would be connected fine, but it would just drop the connection and have a bunch of trouble trying to find it again. If it gets used all the time it just wears out I guess. I got a new one for my laptop that just plugged into the USB port, but that only lasted for so long before it ended up getting broken, too.

use a wire for the tv and your issues will be gone for good. you should never use wireless for anything else than portable devices

Alexia said:
use a wire for the tv and your issues will be gone for good. you should never use wireless for anything else than portable devices

I would need a very long wire to make that work since the wireless router is downstairs and the TV in question in upstairs.

try searching the internet with the make and model number and the suspected problem part with the oven - I've found repair lots of info on an old gas dryer I was having problems with - baring that get a factory service manual for it. Just be careful, gas appliances can be dangerous if you don't fix it right.

Isn't there a router relay for long distances?

Oven: going by your wording, I'm guessing that you haven't thoroughly read the owner's handbook; with that in mind, it's best that you take whatever qualified advice is given by whomsoever services the device.
Electronic ignitors routinely fail and explains the ongoing market in long matches and gas lighters. Our hob's ignitor failed over thirty years ago and we've made do with traditional lighting methods since then.
(Poor igniton in cold and damp conditions are typically an indicator of dirty or failing ignitors).

Television: relevant advice has already been given, but you do have to keep in mind any materials which a signal may have to go through or around; environmental factors also come into play, such as dampness and any other influences or interference on a weak signal (a bird nearby or, more notoriously, certain types of motor vehicles driving past).

Ovens are usually not that hard to repair. If the gas is coming on, it's most likely the igniter itself that's gone. They get crap in them even thought there's supposed to be a plate over them to avoid most of the splatter. Sometimes you can clean them up, but they usually can be ordered off the internet for under $20.

One thing that does tend to kill things is the SELF CLEAN cycle if your oven has that feature. Never do that right before you have a big dinner to prepare for family (learned that lesson).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back