Is Destiny 2 dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I played the base game of Destiny 2 (i had a cheap rental code) and I was not impressed at all, and I've been waiting for a really good bundle before I get into it, like I did with Destiny 1 (which I bought as a bundle with everything up to The Taken King), I have heard that Destiny 2 is basically dead at this point, and I'm wondering if they will eventually stop making content completely or if they are gonna make a Destiny 3 (I think they should have never made a Destiny 2, should of kept the first 1 going with new content).

There are really two camps in that conversation. You'll get those that say that it is dying/sucks/is a money grab/etc and there are those that will jump down your throat for even thinking of tarnishing the name of Destiny. Its not dead by any means, but the population has dwindled and a lot of it stems from Bungie (Lead by Activisions plan sadly) basically learning nothing from their mistakes. Ive seen it every time there has been talk of an update or a DLC; they announce this ground breaking evolving content which is just rehashed material and are surprised when people are able to find out. When data mining is so prevalent and evidence leaks that your new DLC isnt actually new and previous mechanics that made the last game great (at the end of its lifespan mind you) aren't getting brought forward, your $30 price tag for an expansion better be damn well worth it.

I put many hours in Destiny 1. I bought it at launch because it interested me and at that time Bungie could do no wrong in the eyes of gamers. I mean, they were the minds behind Halo right? It was a beautiful game and the gun-play was amazing, but if I had my time back I would have waited for the complete collection and bought it just to play it because the launch game was a shambled mess compered to the final iteration with all the DLCs. Destiny 2 will sadly go down the same path. They will pump out a few DLCs touting a big price tag which would cost you probably close on $200, learn nothing, release a complete collection in the fall that will cost a fraction of what the day one players paid just before they make their big Destiny 3 announcement which will conveniently forget any mechanics in the others.

They have a 10 year plan for Destiny as an IP, but what it actually becomes after those 10 years is anyone's guess. I'm hoping (im being optimistic) that Anthem does well, but I personally dont hold Bungie in the same regard as I once did. I personally think they got a little to into the mindset of being untouchable because of their following.

I'm not saying "Destiny Sucks", I tried Halo back in the day and Hated it, but I liked Destiny 1 before expansions and absolutely loved everything up until and including The Taken King, the very last expansion I was disappointed by and Destiny2 original game didn't WOW me, so I'm waiting probably until they release the whole collection just in case I end up hating the last 1 or 2 DLC Packages.

And I am also waiting for Anthem very anxiously, and sort of hoping competition will make them do better than they have been doing.

I wouldn't say dead but I would say it has slowed down quite a bit since release the new dlc has given it a reason to play it more but the major changes from destiny 1 aka no random perk rolls on weapons armor ect which loses a large chunk of the fan base being the fans of the grind I still play it off and on but not like destiny 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back