Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spiders

Let's hope your little spider friend got the message^^

I go back and forth between not minding spiders and being pretty disgusted by them, what are you doing brain? In winter we often have these big hairy house spiders in the basement, they are totally harmless, but I don't like the look of them. I'll usually take a glass and piece of cardboard and carry them outside.

As a kid, my brother was super scared of spiders, so just to make fun of him I bullied myself into liking spiders :P The things you do to tease your siblings...

Quote Originally Posted by Schwanensee View Post
    Let's hope your little spider friend got the message^^

I go back and forth between not minding spiders and being pretty disgusted by them, what are you doing brain? In winter we often have these big hairy house spiders in the basement, they are totally harmless, but I don't like the look of them. I'll usually take a glass and piece of cardboard and carry them outside.

As a kid, my brother was super scared of spiders, so just to make fun of him I bullied myself into liking spiders :P The things you do to tease your siblings...
    I was actually doing the research to figure out what kind of spider he was and they said that most species of house spider never go outside. :| And that releasing them outside just ends up killing them. D:

At least I figured out he was trying to be a SpiderBro and not just randomly running around. XD

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleWoozle View Post
    I was actually doing the research to figure out what kind of spider he was and they said that most species of house spider never go outside. :| And that releasing them outside just ends up killing them. D:

At least I figured out he was trying to be a SpiderBro and not just randomly running around. XD
    Oh no :O I don't wanna kill them...*goes to do research*

So, internet says that our local species of house spiders likes caves, dry corners and lives close to the ground...we have a garden shed, they can live there. (And they do, I checked.) Also, I've seen them a lot outside scuttling between leaves, so I think they can survive outside? We really only see them inside our house in winter, when it's colder outside and the leaves probably get less comfy.

Can I feel less guilty now?

Quote Originally Posted by Schwanensee View Post
    Oh no :O I don't wanna kill them...*goes to do research*

So, internet says that our local species of house spiders likes caves, dry corners and lives close to the ground...we have a garden shed, they can live there. (And they do, I checked.) Also, I've seen them a lot outside scuttling between leaves, so I think they can survive outside? We really only see them inside our house in winter, when it's colder outside and the leaves probably get less comfy.

Can I feel less guilty now?
    Sounds like they're the opportunistic kind of house spider that can survive outside, too. So don't be guilty anymore! XD

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphyre View Post
    Some spiders can be stupidly aggressive. ^^; I've had a brown recluse "stare me down" before. It was actually its aggressive behavior which prompted I and a friend to take a closer look at what kind of spider it was. Jumping spiders almost border on being cute for it; they're so teeny tiny, but so territorial. They'll chase you right out of "their" corner!

Also... eww, spiderlings. o.o I would be totally creeped out by that! I've had unfortunate experiences with spiderlings hatching in laundry before…
    This was the critter I was thinking about. I got bit by a brown recluse a few years ago and my hand got infected with MRSA from the spider bite. The doctor in the ER said that 60% of brown recluses were infected with MRSA because it's so prevalent. I had to have a PIC line and six weeks of Vincomyacin.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    This was the critter I was thinking about. I got bit by a brown recluse a few years ago and my hand got infected with MRSA from the spider bite. The doctor in the ER said that 60% of brown recluses were infected with MRSA because it's so prevalent. I had to have a PIC line and six weeks of Vincomyacin.
    Eeep! O_O;;

The one I encountered was wandering through my office at work. At first it was relatively inconspicuous, but then it started tracking me as I moved around. It adopted an aggressive stance and kept itself facing right at me. It was really the behavior that made it stand out. I'm glad no one got bitten that day!