Spiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuddleWoozle

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
THERE IS A SPIDER THAT WON'T STAY OUT OF MY BED.

I would squish him for his impudence, but he's a fast little bugger.

I'll be sitting here, just poking around the internet and all of a sudden SPIDER. Then he runs like a freaking maniac over my blankets and away.

>:|

Somebody bring an anteater or something to catch this thing.

Oh, I don't wanna kill him because he's a -spider-, just because he won't stay out of my bed! He freaking tickles when he runs across me. :mad: I took my blankets and shook them vigorously, so maybe he'll take the hint that there aren't any bugs in my bed and go lurk somewhere else. LOL

*yells at spider* YOU HEAR THAT YOU EIGHT LEGGED MANIAC? THERE ARE NO BUGS IN MY BED.

*huffs*

Some spiders' offspring!

I'm an arachnophobe… I positively hate those things!!

They say that studying the object of one's phobia will help defuse it… dunno, still testing that theory…

But it does strike me as unusual for a spider to keep roaming into your bed. Roaming isn't typical spider behavior, except for a few hunting species such as the Brown Recluse and other venomous types. They're small, but not to be trifled with. Do you know what kind you've seen?

Sapphyre said:
I'm an arachnophobe… I positively hate those things!!

They say that studying the object of one's phobia will help defuse it… dunno, still testing that theory…

But it does strike me as unusual for a spider to keep roaming into your bed. Roaming isn't typical spider behavior, except for a few hunting species such as the Brown Recluse and other venomous types. They're small, but not to be trifled with. Do you know what kind you've seen?

I don't know precisely, but he's small, quick and naughty for not staying away. XD I checked and I'm not actually in the territory for Brown Recluse, so I doubt it is one. I haven't actually had him run up on me for a while now, so maybe he's moved on to a less flappy running ground?

I'm not trying to grab at him or anything, so he's got no real reason to bite me even if he IS a recluse spider. I mean, he can't eat me, why waste time running over and chomping me? *laughs* When he ran out last time, I took the blankets and shook them off and I haven't seen his silly butt since. This isn't the first time a spider has come into my bed, either. :p Not sure what's so intriguing about it.

I'm supposing it's because we had a whole mess of baby spiders come out on the front porch a few days ago. He might be one of them and is looking for a place to call his own. The porch is literally right outside the wall at the head of my bed. XD

I'm supposing it's because we had a whole mess of baby spiders come out on the front porch a few days ago

This is the part where I shudder, check my own bed, and freak out a little. That's TERRIFYING. I'm allergic AND arachnophobic. Begone, spindly-legged beastie!

OmiOMy said:
This is the part where I shudder, check my own bed, and freak out a little. That's TERRIFYING. I'm allergic AND arachnophobic. Begone, spindly-legged beastie!

*giggles* I think he's moved out now. I think I scared him, which is why he was running all over the place so much. I sit really still for long periods of time and when I shifted, I think he was making his way across the bed and was like "OMG! THERE IS A GIANT WOOZLE RIGHT THERE! AAAAARGH!" (Here I like to imagine him flailing at least two of his legs like a tiny cartoon character.)

The spiders don't bother me too much unless they start trying to snuggle like this one. I actually would go so far as to say they're my 'leggy frens'. There is a jumping spider who lives in our back room and he's like...the best acrobat I've ever seen. I watched him take out an annoying fly in mid-air and land on the shelf on the other side of the doorway. He jumped from the top of the dryer, snatched that fly, and managed to stick the landing over at least a three foot jump. That's like...amazing if you think of how small he was. It's like a human just going "OMG. I TOTALLY SEE A FLOATING HAMBURGER OVER THE GRAND CANYON. HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS." And then actually making the jump with hamburger in hand. LOL

If it's any comfort, there aren't any spiders that actively search for people to bite. In nearly all cases it's a defensive bite because they were either A: Surprised, B: Poked at/squished on or C: They were trying to escape from being captured. People are way too big to eat anyhow.

And I find it really funny that mostly the big hairy tarantula's don't actually want to bite, they want to kick their sticky little butt hair on you and make you itchy. One did it to a girl in science class and it was hilarious. I didn't like spiders at all at the time, but just let her cruise by. This girl started banging the table thinking it would scare the spider and make it run away. It scared the spider, but she kicked a bunch of butt-fuzz on her hands first.

- - - Updated - - -

AHAHAHA! He came back, but now I know what he was after. There is a tiny moth that is trying to get on my computer screen and he's trying to nab it. I chased off the moth AND the spider this time. (And turned my AC unit up so it stays too cold for them to want to hang around me. XD)

And I got a really good look at him this time. I'm fairly certain he's an Eastern Parson Spider, which are harmless but chase down their food like Brown Recluses do.

CuddleWoozle said:
I don't know precisely, but he's small, quick and naughty for not staying away. XD I checked and I'm not actually in the territory for Brown Recluse, so I doubt it is one. I haven't actually had him run up on me for a while now, so maybe he's moved on to a less flappy running ground?

I'm not trying to grab at him or anything, so he's got no real reason to bite me even if he IS a recluse spider. I mean, he can't eat me, why waste time running over and chomping me? *laughs* When he ran out last time, I took the blankets and shook them off and I haven't seen his silly butt since. This isn't the first time a spider has come into my bed, either. :p Not sure what's so intriguing about it.

I'm supposing it's because we had a whole mess of baby spiders come out on the front porch a few days ago. He might be one of them and is looking for a place to call his own. The porch is literally right outside the wall at the head of my bed. XD

Some spiders can be stupidly aggressive. ^^; I've had a brown recluse "stare me down" before. It was actually its aggressive behavior which prompted I and a friend to take a closer look at what kind of spider it was. Jumping spiders almost border on being cute for it; they're so teeny tiny, but so territorial. They'll chase you right out of "their" corner!

Also... eww, spiderlings. o.o I would be totally creeped out by that! I've had unfortunate experiences with spiderlings hatching in laundry before…

Let's hope your little spider friend got the message^^

I go back and forth between not minding spiders and being pretty disgusted by them, what are you doing brain? In winter we often have these big hairy house spiders in the basement, they are totally harmless, but I don't like the look of them. I'll usually take a glass and piece of cardboard and carry them outside.

As a kid, my brother was super scared of spiders, so just to make fun of him I bullied myself into liking spiders :p The things you do to tease your siblings...

Schwanensee said:
Let's hope your little spider friend got the message^^

I go back and forth between not minding spiders and being pretty disgusted by them, what are you doing brain? In winter we often have these big hairy house spiders in the basement, they are totally harmless, but I don't like the look of them. I'll usually take a glass and piece of cardboard and carry them outside.

As a kid, my brother was super scared of spiders, so just to make fun of him I bullied myself into liking spiders :p The things you do to tease your siblings...

I was actually doing the research to figure out what kind of spider he was and they said that most species of house spider never go outside. :| And that releasing them outside just ends up killing them. D:

At least I figured out he was trying to be a SpiderBro and not just randomly running around. XD

CuddleWoozle said:
I was actually doing the research to figure out what kind of spider he was and they said that most species of house spider never go outside. :| And that releasing them outside just ends up killing them. D:

At least I figured out he was trying to be a SpiderBro and not just randomly running around. XD

Oh no :O I don't wanna kill them...*goes to do research*

So, internet says that our local species of house spiders likes caves, dry corners and lives close to the ground...we have a garden shed, they can live there. (And they do, I checked.) Also, I've seen them a lot outside scuttling between leaves, so I think they can survive outside? We really only see them inside our house in winter, when it's colder outside and the leaves probably get less comfy.

Can I feel less guilty now? :(

Schwanensee said:
Oh no :O I don't wanna kill them...*goes to do research*

So, internet says that our local species of house spiders likes caves, dry corners and lives close to the ground...we have a garden shed, they can live there. (And they do, I checked.) Also, I've seen them a lot outside scuttling between leaves, so I think they can survive outside? We really only see them inside our house in winter, when it's colder outside and the leaves probably get less comfy.

Can I feel less guilty now? :(

Sounds like they're the opportunistic kind of house spider that can survive outside, too. So don't be guilty anymore! XD

Sapphyre said:
Some spiders can be stupidly aggressive. ^^; I've had a brown recluse "stare me down" before. It was actually its aggressive behavior which prompted I and a friend to take a closer look at what kind of spider it was. Jumping spiders almost border on being cute for it; they're so teeny tiny, but so territorial. They'll chase you right out of "their" corner!

Also... eww, spiderlings. o.o I would be totally creeped out by that! I've had unfortunate experiences with spiderlings hatching in laundry before…

This was the critter I was thinking about. I got bit by a brown recluse a few years ago and my hand got infected with MRSA from the spider bite. The doctor in the ER said that 60% of brown recluses were infected with MRSA because it's so prevalent. I had to have a PIC line and six weeks of Vincomyacin.

dogboy said:
This was the critter I was thinking about. I got bit by a brown recluse a few years ago and my hand got infected with MRSA from the spider bite. The doctor in the ER said that 60% of brown recluses were infected with MRSA because it's so prevalent. I had to have a PIC line and six weeks of Vincomyacin.

Eeep! O_O;;

The one I encountered was wandering through my office at work. At first it was relatively inconspicuous, but then it started tracking me as I moved around. It adopted an aggressive stance and kept itself facing right at me. It was really the behavior that made it stand out. I'm glad no one got bitten that day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back