Thread: Real Estate?

Default Real Estate?

Anyone a realtor or in real estate that could enlighten me on their day to day activity and whether or not its worth going into? Im in my 20s looking for a change. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnii View Post
    Anyone a realtor or in real estate that could enlighten me on their day to day activity and whether or not its worth going into? Im in my 20s looking for a change. Thanks.
    I actually had my realtor's liscense when I was 30 years old. I was a church musician, so I was doing this on the side. It did not get my full attention so I didn't do well and eventually gave it up. I think it's a hard job in that there are a lot of agents who come and go. It only takes a couple of courses, several tests and you can be licensed so you don't have a lot to lose, and who knows, maybe you will be one of the really successful ones. They're out there, making good money.

A realtor I used just got back from France. Her and her husband are a team. I asked about becoming one and after the classes and test she said you need cash to start for things like a license, office and cards. You also need a car big enough to carry people around to houses.

Both my grandfather and my aunt tried to do this, they both gave up on it because you need to front the cash for most of the things like the license, signs, cards, so on and so forth. I'd say it's probably not for everyone but if you have the time (And the little bit of money to put forward) you could possibly become one of those people who makes a like. . . $50,000 commission in one day. It would take time to get there but those people exist.

You're looking at about $1000 for classes and licensing, add about $500/yr for professional insurance, about another 700 for signs (which if you work for somebody you may be provided with them) and about $100 for business cards and design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's no such thing as a "Realtor's license." Realtor is not a synonym for real estate agent or broker. A realtor is a member of the National Association of Realtors, a professional organization. Realtor is their trademark and improperly used otherwise.

A lot of the licensing and the rest depends very much on what state you are in. In my state (North Carolina), you take a 75 hour, prelicensing course (usually through one of the community colleges though there are other providers), there are no online courses which is sort of a anachronism in this day and age. You take the test and you are get a provisional license which lets you work along with another broker. After than you can take a 90 hour post licensing course and get a full license.

Note, most agents work for a brokerage firm. If you have dreams of pocketing the full 6% commission from the sale, let me burst that balloon right now. It doesn't work that way. Sure, you can create an independent brokerage and pay all the expenses and obtain insurance, or you work for the brokerage firm and take what residuals from what they get in commission. Not saying it can't be a rewarding full time or part time endeavor, it's just not as rosy as it appears to some.