What Was It Like to Live By Yourself for the First Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scamander14

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
So, I’m making a six year plan to be living on my own. I’m trying to get a good idea for how much money I need to be saving.

I start college in five weeks; as in, I move into my dorm in five weeks. I’m six years, I want to be living in my own apartment. What was it like when you first lived on your own and in something like an apartment, condo, house, etc.

How much money did you have to be saving? Basically, what was your income versus your cash-flow?

How crazy did you go buying AB stuff?

Were you able to buy AB stuff right away?

If you couldn’t/didn’t buy AB stuff right away, what was the reason you couldn’t or didn’t?

Reactions: Linda2323
I wish I could help you in this one bud, but I'm still 27 and living with my parents and sister haha. Not because I'm inept or anything, but because in Mexican families, it is pretty common to live with them until you get married. I mean, I could leave, but I still need to find a job that could afford everything.

And my family knows and accept my ABDL side, let me wear diapers and baby stuff, so yeah, not that hard.

Man, i think I need to start planning an eventual move...

I was on my own shortly after graduating college. I lived at the poverty level so I had almost no money to spend on myself. I lived in a small, upstairs apartment. There were times I had to walk to work because I didn't have money for gas. I was always hungry. Eventually I asked my employer, a big 3200 membership church, to not pay me because I would get more to live on if I was on welfare. I immediately got a $1000.00 raise which put me just above the welfare rate. Often churches are anything but Christian.

Anyway, I would occasionally steal diapers from their nursery, late at night. I soon learned to snag size 6. There was no such thing as the internet and no adult baby market. Ah.....the good 'ol days.

Yeah.
Dude, read theses books,

Rich Dad, Poor Dad, Robert Kyosaki
The Secret
As a Man Thinketh, James Allen
Think and Grow Rich, Napoleon Hill
You Were Born Rich, Bob Proctor
Evolution 2.0, Perry Marshall

Those books and similar books helped me get ahead of people my age when it comes to being aware of how to make five year plans realistic. (Books like that helped me a lot when I was hospitalized three years ago.)

I’m happy that your family accepts your AB side! That’s awesome!

kik91 said:
I wish I could help you in this one bud, but I'm still 27 and living with my parents and sister haha. Not because I'm inept or anything, but because in Mexican families, it is pretty common to live with them until you get married. I mean, I could leave, but I still need to find a job that could afford everything.

And my family knows and accept my ABDL side, let me wear diapers and baby stuff, so yeah, not that hard.

Man, i think I need to start planning an eventual move...

Scamander14 said:
Yeah.
Dude, read theses books,

Rich Dad, Poor Dad, Robert Kyosaki
The Secret
As a Man Thinketh, James Allen
Think and Grow Rich, Napoleon Hill
You Were Born Rich, Bob Proctor
Evolution 2.0, Perry Marshall

Those books and similar books helped me get ahead of people my age when it comes to being aware of how to make five year plans realistic. (Books like that helped me a lot when I was hospitalized three years ago.)

I’m happy that your family accepts your AB side! That’s awesome!

Yeah, thank you!! I'll remember to check some of them out!! I have my share of reads when I was in the psychiatric hospital myself!! And yeah, I think that if my plans go as I expect them, I might be getting my own place in one year or so!!

But yeah, not much experience to pass on to you on that department. And well, once my family told me they were completley cool, getting baby stuff and diapers became easier haha

Wow, I that sounds like that was a bad experience. I have a part time job now and I am putting away 40%of every paycheck first. I’m autistic and I am just becoming more independent. (I’ve only been driving by myself for three months or so.) And, it looks like college is going to leave me $40,000 in debt after four years. I want to become a counselor that helps people; I think it would be helpful for the AB niche (and other relatable niches) if there was an AB/DL who is a counselor. I know I would probably have to take a break after four years and get some of the debt paid off before it is too much to handle. College is one stupid liability.

In fact, the only reason I’m going to college is so I can become more adept at my social skills; they’re not the best. They’re more annoying than anything. If I didn’t have any issues with social skills, I would just be saving up money for a community college and an apartment.

dogboy said:
I was on my own shortly after graduating college. I lived at the poverty level so I had almost no money to spend on myself. I lived in a small, upstairs apartment. There were times I had to walk to work because I didn't have money for gas. I was always hungry. Eventually I asked my employer, a big 3200 membership church, to not pay me because I would get more to live on if I was on welfare. I immediately got a $1000.00 raise which put me just above the welfare rate. Often churches are anything but Christian.

Anyway, I would occasionally steal diapers from their nursery, late at night. I soon learned to snag size 6. There was no such thing as the internet and no adult baby market. Ah.....the good 'ol days.

Scamander14 said:
College is one stupid liability.

Not really. I enjoyed my four college years. They were fun and liberating, meeting people and doing things I liked to do. I enjoyed college quite a bit. And wearing diapers to classes is fun and useful haha.

Although, the happiest time for me was high school. Man, terrific time. Can I go back then? Anyone got a time machine? XD

Yeah, they’re great books.
Have fun on your next adventure!

kik91 said:
Yeah, thank you!! I'll remember to check some of them out!! I have my share of reads when I was in the psychiatric hospital myself!! And yeah, I think that if my plans go as I expect them, I might be getting my own place in one year or so!!

But yeah, not much experience to pass on to you on that department. And well, once my family told me they were completley cool, getting baby stuff and diapers became easier haha

- - - Updated - - -

Man, I hated high school. I really wanted to go to my senior prom with a guy and that is impossible at a catholic high school. Lol.
What I mean by liability is that I’m not getting paid to go to school. If you buy something that makes you money without you doing virtually anything, it becomes passive income and an asset. For instance, a car is a liability because you have to take care of it and it is worth less money the moment you drive it off of the lot.

kik91 said:
Not really. I enjoyed my four college years. They were fun and liberating, meeting people and doing things I liked to do. I enjoyed college quite a bit. And wearing diapers to classes is fun and useful haha.

Although, the happiest time for me was high school. Man, terrific time. Can I go back then? Anyone got a time machine? XD

Scamander14 said:
Yeah, they’re great books.
Have fun on your next adventure!

- - - Updated - - -

Man, I hated high school. I really wanted to go to my senior prom with a guy and that is impossible at a catholic high school. Lol.
What I mean by liability is that I’m not getting paid to go to school. If you buy something that makes you money without you doing virtually anything, it becomes passive income and an asset. For instance, a car is a liability because you have to take care of it and it is worth less money the moment you drive it off of the lot.

Gotcha!!

Yeah, I imagine going to a catholic school and wanting to go to prom with a guy must be tough. I went to high school in Mexico, but it was a private school, the most expensive on the city and very prestigious. So everyone was super nice because, you know, it's kind of how it all rolled. I had a blast in high school. Everyone was super cool. My teachers were the best and we spoke on first-name basis. Yeah, there a few assholes, but I became a little bit popular because I was always nice to everyone. Great times! I swear I cried on my Graduation...

There are some general rules of thumb, but what you really need to do is come up with a budget.

There's lots of good resources out there on how to budget, but generally the process is:

- Take your monthly income
- List out what all your monthly expenses would be (multiply and divide as required to normalize everything to a month, makes things way easier).
- Ideally leave yourself a buffer for the unexpected.

If the expenses are greater than the income, something has to change. If they aren't, you can pull it off.

You'll also want to start building up an emergency fund, basically a chunk of cash that you keep somewhere accessible (ideally a savings account). Part of living on your own is dealing with random unexpected expenses, and relying on credit (especially until you have access to lower interest sources of credit) is a path to ruin. Typical recommendation is 3 to 6 months living expenses.

Saving for retirement and such is also important (figuring out a specific amount is a lot of work, but 20% of income is a good basic guideline), but I think that can be deferred for a few years until you can your career off the ground and living situation sorted out... just don't wait until you're in your late 30s to 40s to think "hmm, maybe I might want to retire some day..".

As to the rest of your question, I waited a bit before really ABDLing it up... mostly because people wanted to come see the place/etc and I was busy unpacking and all that. Then I went on a bit of a binge and honestly kinda burned myself out. I indulged very little when I was living at home, and I think I had built it up in my mind for so long that when I could finally do pretty much whatever I wanted, the reality didn't live up to the hype I had. I ended up getting more involved with the local BDSM scene and the whole diaper thing kinda subsided for quite awhile.

For a long time I fantasized about like forcing myself to wear diapers for a week straight and all that.. but when I had the ability to do that, it just seemed like a lot of bother.

I first lived entirely on my own at 19. I was in University and I had a dorm room all to myself, courtesy of my high grades.

I did not have a part time job as my course was very hands on, but I worked the year prior and saved like crazy, I received scholarships, I sold some rare video games for extra spending cash and at that time I was receiving $130 a month from my father, apparently family services got a hold of him and tried to get him to pay some of his massive back child support, it didn't last (it stopped about 5 months into that school term), but it was something extra to count on each month. It can be hard to net an income when you are in University, especially if your course load is heavy. I had enough funds so that as long as I wasn't splurging on diapers and baby things every month, I could enjoy myself pretty reasonably and regularly.

It took me a few weeks, about a month at University before I started to indulge, as I needed to work up the nerve, it can be overwhelming when you have space to yourself and ultimate freedom. Once I worked up the nerve, I went pretty hard in my 2nd month at University. I bought two packs of Bambino diapers from a now defunct Canadian AB Diaper distributor, an adult onesie, an adult pacifier and an adult baby bottle and went to town... between studies, homework and nights out with friends of course. I found that if I reserved my AB time for weekends only, sometimes every other weekend if course work was piling up, I was able to stretch my finances as well as my diaper supply. Some weekends, I would even tell my friends on campus that I was heading home for the weekend, so I wouldn't have to worry about them knocking at my door if I was padded up and in baby mode.

Since then, I've had two apartments all to myself and my AB routine is pretty much set in stone; I regress and baby out whenever I can. I am also fortunate enough to have consistent freelance work and I am now a paid scholar as well, so I have much more income now, enough to stock up on diapers and maybe treat myself with a baby outfit or accessories every month.

Now, your living situation may differ from my own. When I was wading into this side of myself deeper, I had a room to myself, not all dormitories are set up that way. You may have to plan out your purchases and really pay attention to your class schedule and your roommate's class schedule in order to figure out when it is best for you to diaper up and baby out. If you manage and plan your time and finances accordingly though, there's no reason why you can't explore your AB side and have some fun. Treat this first year on your own as "baby steps".

Best of luck to you :)

I live in the projects, as I am low-income and have a cruddy job. However I do live alone and rather enjoy it. I am a natural introvert, and living alone feels natural to me. I got into diapers fairly recently compared to pretty much everyone here, and living alone makes it very easy to explore what I want to try out. It's a safe place to experiment.

I've been living in my own place on my own for about 3 months now, having spent the previous 7 years or so living in shared housing or university halls.

I did indulge in ABDL stuff before I got to my current place, but it's a lot less hassle now I don't have to hide everything in my bedroom. Getting to pad up and do babyish things about the flat without any worries is a great thing.

I haven't gone wild with buying ABDL stuff for 2 reasons. The main one is that I do get people visiting me, mainly my parents who don't know anything about it. So everything has to be packed away in a drawer during those times.

The other reason is that I'm just generally careful with money, and rarely splash out loads at a time. This is something I've just learnt over the years. The amount of income I get in each month (after tax, pension etc deducted) is easily more than enough to cover all my expenses. That includes rent, utility bills, council tax, contents insurance, internet and food. Plus any occasional expense like weekends away, day trips or purchased belongings still doesn't tip the cost above my income.

I realise I am fortunate to be in this position. My job requires me to have a degree, which I worked at getting for 4 years, and have a loan to pay back. I don't own a car, so that saves a lot of money. I simply walk to work or to the shops, as I've specifically moved to a flat close to those things.

I wish you good luck with your future plans!

I'm 26 and still living with my parents. I graduated with my A.A. back in Dec. '17 and started my first job about a month ago working part-time at Lowe's. First paycheck was $246 and $220 of that went to savings. I'm waiting for my Income Based Repayment to go through with my student loans but it looks like I won't be required to make payments. If my hours stay the same and I don't get a raise, I'll only make just under $14,000 my first year. I'm trying to get as much money as I can to build up a savings and to buy a new/better form of transportation.

T-31+Micro+Yellow+Outdoors.jpg

It's going to cost me $7,000 and they don't offer financing. I have a GoFundMe set up but no donations yet. I hope to be out on my own sometime next year.

I moved away from home but am not by myself. I live with my boyfriend and 2 roommates. But even then I've never been able to be more AB my entire life which will absolutely increase when I do inevitably get my own place with my bf.

I don't get much that's too obvious, but I do have toy shelves out in the open and a case of diapers in the closet (something I couldn't do before)

Used to wear maybe once every few weeks due to disposal problems now I wear a few times a week

Sheepies said:
I moved away from home but am not by myself. I live with my boyfriend and 2 roommates. But even then I've never been able to be more AB my entire life which will absolutely increase when I do inevitably get my own place with my bf.

I don't get much that's too obvious, but I do have toy shelves out in the open and a case of diapers in the closet (something I couldn't do before)

Used to wear maybe once every few weeks due to disposal problems now I wear a few times a week
Oops forgot some of the questions.

When I moved out I had about $2000 saved up. But with so many roommates it makes living much cheaper.

I didn't go crazy buying stuff but I definitely bought a bunch of stuff.

When I started college I did not have a job so I really had to watch my spending at first. I found when I was having over-spending issues that a Spending Tracker was very helpful. You can find them pretty cheap- they are basically like little check books that you write the days' purchases in and there is a column for income as well- so you can compare the two. It gives a visual of the money spent vs the money made so I think that would be really helpful to you if you're concerned about spending.

In my first two years of college I would buy AB things here and there but it was difficult in the beginning because I didn't have much money. I usually wouldn't order anything online either because it would be delivered to the front office of my dorm and the hours were very limited which I found annoying.

It's really important that you find a balance between working and classes though- you need to take care of yourself to avoid getting overly stressed so I wouldn't advise working too much your first semester and just getting a feel for how much time you'll need for your classes and how you can fit work into your schedule. Being a part time student vs. a full time student will also make a big difference in how much you can work and how much time you'll need to dedicate to classes. Every class no matter how few credits still requires more of your time.

Definitely get a feel for things and then see what works for you! Good luck with your first year of college! :catsmile:

Well, I went from living with my parents to immediately living with my daddy 4 miles away. He bought a house in my city JUST FOR ME so I wouldn’t feel uncomfortable moving away.

That shows true love and dedication right there (however, not required to be the only form). I went from living a bab lifestyle at parents home to living a bab lifestyle at daddy’s with tons of bonuses!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I became independent in 2011, after my Dad finally passed-away.
Actually, I have never lived alone by myself.

Yeah, I wear at night. I use paper towels as a booster. I’ve been having panic attack more frequently and wearing at night/to bed has helped a lot.

BoundCoder said:
There are some general rules of thumb, but what you really need to do is come up with a budget.

There's lots of good resources out there on how to budget, but generally the process is:

- Take your monthly income
- List out what all your monthly expenses would be (multiply and divide as required to normalize everything to a month, makes things way easier).
- Ideally leave yourself a buffer for the unexpected.

If the expenses are greater than the income, something has to change. If they aren't, you can pull it off.

You'll also want to start building up an emergency fund, basically a chunk of cash that you keep somewhere accessible (ideally a savings account). Part of living on your own is dealing with random unexpected expenses, and relying on credit (especially until you have access to lower interest sources of credit) is a path to ruin. Typical recommendation is 3 to 6 months living expenses.

Saving for retirement and such is also important (figuring out a specific amount is a lot of work, but 20% of income is a good basic guideline), but I think that can be deferred for a few years until you can your career off the ground and living situation sorted out... just don't wait until you're in your late 30s to 40s to think "hmm, maybe I might want to retire some day..".

As to the rest of your question, I waited a bit before really ABDLing it up... mostly because people wanted to come see the place/etc and I was busy unpacking and all that. Then I went on a bit of a binge and honestly kinda burned myself out. I indulged very little when I was living at home, and I think I had built it up in my mind for so long that when I could finally do pretty much whatever I wanted, the reality didn't live up to the hype I had. I ended up getting more involved with the local BDSM scene and the whole diaper thing kinda subsided for quite awhile.

For a long time I fantasized about like forcing myself to wear diapers for a week straight and all that.. but when I had the ability to do that, it just seemed like a lot of bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back