Old Toys and the memories they bring

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelofConfusion

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Other
So I found a toy from my childhood today. And it triggered a bunch of memories, random little things that I've somehow retained.
what amazes me is for all intents and purposes, until I remembered them these things might as well as have never happened.
did they exist? yes I'm certain they did.
Does anyone else experience memory revival from familiar objects like this?

-Angel

hi angel, yea i had a weird flash back a number of months ago. i bit into a red robin hamburger with an egg on it for the first time , and i immediately flashed back to eating a fried egg sandwich when i was about two? sitting in only a diaper and plastic pants in my high chair. i couldnt believe it, it felt so real. i checked with others in my fsmily and they confirmed it wss how mom fed me lunch. i wss a wild experience.

I've found old books and toys from when I was little and they take me right back. XD

I have at least three of those shape sorting balls that Tupperware made because every time I see them I'm like "OMG SHAPES!" I'm searching for a set of animals that were made back then, too. They came apart in three pieces each. It was an elephant, a giraffe and a dog. And you could mix the pieces together to change them up. Like the giraffe's head could go on the elephant's fat body and so forth.

Try to make a long story short.

When I was 16 I worked hard all week during the county fair to win a curtain cow doll.

I was so proud of myself finally being able to actually win one of the larger size dolls in the arcade.

When I got home my family started laughing at me and I got offended and pissed off.

My mother finally found a picture of me at about 9 months with a cow doll that looked very much like the one I had won.

It fell apart and my mom through it out when I was about 15 months.

Talk about suppressed memories.

Egor

Wow. So you won a cow that looked like the one you had as a tiny little kid? O_O Trippy!

We never really stashed away or got rid of all of our childhood toys, they're all still around the house, so I can't really tell if any memories I have of them are from when I was very little or older already, but I had a moment like you described earlier.

My oldest brother is severely autistic and likes to watch children's movies, but most of ours were VHS tapes and recently our player broke, so we decided to finally get the DVDs. Apparently my mum stumbled across "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" on DVD and bought it. I knew we had the book and that I loved it as a child, but I couldn't remember ever having watched the movie. So she put it on, and suddenly I remembered every like, every sound effect, every picture. The DVD has some other short movies on it, and they all came back to me suddenly. I had completely forgotten they existed, but my mum told me I would always beg to watch them when I was small.

CuddleWoozle said:
I've found old books and toys from when I was little and they take me right back. XD

I have at least three of those shape sorting balls that Tupperware made because every time I see them I'm like "OMG SHAPES!" I'm searching for a set of animals that were made back then, too. They came apart in three pieces each. It was an elephant, a giraffe and a dog. And you could mix the pieces together to change them up. Like the giraffe's head could go on the elephant's fat body and so forth.

Dont know if this helps but if it is what I think your talking about it was Zoo It Yourself by tupperware and there are tons of them on ebay.
Zoo If Yourself

My mom did tupperware when I was little I I had the kids baking set and the Noahs ark bath toy, both of which I have since bought back and love!

Yep, that's them. :3 I just haven't gotten up the gumption to order them online. I keep hoping to find my actual ones from when I was little, but they might have been given away. :( But I have a LOT of toys from when I was a baby/little kid, so they might still be around and hiding.

I mainly get these types of experiences from watching old movies! There are certain movies that immediately make me feel little when I watch them and make me remember how I felt when I watched them in my youth. This mainly goes for Disney movies but also some of the movies I just watched a ton of times as kid like Casper. I also get this with certain foods- jello makes me feel younger and reminds me of going to buffets with my parents and getting whipped cream and jello as a dessert.
As for objects- once in a while I'll be cleaning my room and I'll find something old that immediately takes me back to that time in my life! It's crazy how the memory works but it's also super interesting :smile:

I still have "Tina Bear" (Girl bears cant be named "Teddy".) She was my stuffy until I was... fiveish? I kept her for years in my old footlocker.
Good times.
I still have most of my old Comic books and ALL of my old Star Trek collection.
Great times. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty cretin my OLD copies of The Forgotten Door, Danny Dun and the anti gravity paint, Runaway Robot, and Citizen of the Galaxy are all around here someplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back