using cologne or antiperspirant to scent diapers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambinod

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I just cracked open a new stick of antiperspirant and really like the smell, it's different than my usual choice. And now that I've had some time to think on it, it would really make a good diaper scent. It's not quite pampers, but it's close, and IMHO, more pleasant and somehow more appropriate.

It's Old Spice stick, in "Amber" scent.

So I was wondering, has anyone tried adding scent to their diapers with something other than those scent oils sold online? (or the scent strips places like ABU add)

I may try applying some of that Amber to a few diapers and see how I like it. It's pretty strong.

unnamed.jpg

Think that could cause a chemical reaction if diapers are made with so many chemicals as some have said on here. I would contact a university chemist in the Chemistry department and ask them about this. Or could cause a unpleasant odor combination that you would regret.

Wouldn't the antiperspirant make the diaper less absorbant? Or do you plan on only adding it to the outside anyway?

Schwanensee said:
Wouldn't the antiperspirant make the diaper less absorbant? Or do you plan on only adding it to the outside anyway?
Good point. Make your diaper ineffective that aint smart welcome to leaky city!! Why not make pants white too like the armpit areas on the shirt LOL.

There is a place near me that sells perfume and cologne knock off body oils. One of them is a baby powder scent. I sometimes use a drop in a diaper.

As a wearerbof cloth diapers and rubber pants , the first order of business is unscented soad and no dryer sheets sure it may smell good now hut mix it with body fluid and you can discover something that could gag a maggot , the dryer sheets effect absorbenscy with the wax it deposits on the surface .it could be an epic fail or it could work , be prepared to abandon that diaper if it goes wrong .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Schwanensee said:

Well anything you coat the top sheet with is probably going to reduce absorbency so yeah probably best not to apply inside. Besides, I'm interested in the smell, so applying it outside makes more sense. As long as it doesn't make the prints run or start transferring I suppose. When I do try it I'll probably just rub the stick on the front and middle a few passes. (AFTER taping up of course, because I'm sure that stuff would prevent the tapes from getting a good stick on the front panel)

You usually strike me as the most informed, Bambinod. I'm surprised you don't already have a great solution for this!

I have thought about this in the past. What if you cut a hole in the bag of diapers, insert the scented item, and then taped the hole shut. I imagine it would depend on how strong the scent is coupled with exposure time, but it might be worth a shot. With deodorant, it might be better to cut a chunk off the stick and maybe smash it a little to stir up the fragrance.

Alternatively, you could try building an alambic to extract the scent from the deodorant. It might not work, but would be an interesting experiment. Though, I suppose we are drifting into obsessive territory.

It's a nice idea, but like others have said, I would think that antiperspirant would effect the general absorbency of the diaper. Furthermore, a lot of antiperspirants are kinda cold and slimy, not sure if I want that type of feeling inside my diaper.

The cologne and perfume idea sounds interesting, but I'd hesitate to try that. Personally, I have had a few adverse reactions to cologne in the past. One day, I wore a pretty strong scented cologne and I found it made my skin red, looked like I had a heat rash. There was another instance where I wore a much milder cologne, the type you splash onto your skin, and at the end of the evening, I had tiny hives starting to surface. Bottom-line, perfumes and colognes are such a hodgepodge of potent ingredients and scents that the effect it could have on your skin may well be negative. While I enjoy the smell of some colognes, I don't think I'd want to risk having an adverse reaction to it in my diaper area.

I actually had an AB friend who liked putting a couple drops of vanilla extract in her diapers, to keep things extra fresh. I never personally tried it, but I do know extracts, while a little sticky, aren't harsh on the skin. Some of them, like vanilla, are actually quite soothing. This may be a novel way of scenting diapers on the cheap without ruining the diapers absorbency or running the risk of irritation.

At the end of the day though, when I want that genuine baby fresh scent, I use Johnson's Baby Powder, it always makes me smell like I came fresh out of the nursery and it doesn't inhibit my diapers absorption powers. Baby powder is the definitive diaper scenter (is that even a word?)... nuff said :)

Oh I have some vanilla extract, I might give that a try to see what it's like, I do like the smell of vanilla.

As for cutting a hole, I think that's what ABUniverse does with their Scent option. They've got these long thin strips (3/4" x 7" or so?) that they cut a little hole in the bag and stuff in the strip to scent the diapers while they're still in the bag. Stick antiperspirant isn't designed to evaporate out like liquid cologne does, so I don't know how well that would disperse inside a bag of diapers. I think what I might try is to just drag the stick down the centerline of my diaper after taping up, and see how well that works to hold the scent. Will try it first on a diaper without print on the shell though, just in case it tries to make inks mobile.

This'll be an interesting experiment to do, I've never heard of anyone spending much time trying to scent diapers.

If it's specifically the amber scent that you like, that is a popular ingredient in perfume. If the stick doesn't work, you could try to find an alternative like that.

Schwanensee said:
If it's specifically the amber scent that you like, that is a popular ingredient in perfume. If the stick doesn't work, you could try to find an alternative like that.

I don't know quite what it is, I don't think I've ran across this exact scent before. But I like it and it somehow goes well with diapers. It's not like pampers or talc, it's very much its own thing, but it's both aeromatic and gentle (not harsh), if that makes any sense. It's hard to describe a scent with words when you can't compare it with another scent.

Doesn’t the smell mix with the diapers smell which may lead to very strange smells?

bambinod said:
I don't know quite what it is, I don't think I've ran across this exact scent before. But I like it and it somehow goes well with diapers. It's not like pampers or talc, it's very much its own thing, but it's both aeromatic and gentle (not harsh), if that makes any sense. It's hard to describe a scent with words when you can't compare it with another scent.

As far as I know, amber is meant to be an undertone in perfumes, so it would make sense that it's not harsh. Maybe if you have the opportunity, you could go into a shop and ask if they have anything amber scented. Real amber is very expensive, but there's synthetic alternatives.

You could also look at the ingredients, I think all scents in products need to be listed.

Schwanensee said:
You could also look at the ingredients, I think all scents in products need to be listed.

I'm thinking that only applies to foods and drugs?

though the bottle of baby powder i bought today does say "Ingredients: Talc, fragrance" and I don't think I'm meant to eat that. Maybe it's considered a drug?

Some people have allergies to certain frangrances, so if something is to be applied to the skin, it should probably say what's in it. I don't know for certain though, the laws might be different where you live^^"

My personal favorite scent is the scent strip that rears uses when you buy there baby scented diapers, is more subtle than abu's scent, but it mixes well when the diaper is wet.

Scentsy makes a baby powder scent satchel that I bought and used to successfully scent my diapers and baby blanket. It's very, very strong and my wife found it objectionable.

Schwanensee said:
Some people have allergies to certain frangrances, so if something is to be applied to the skin, it should probably say what's in it. I don't know for certain though, the laws might be different where you live^^"
Found that out. I was at a lawmaker meet & greet and I like to smell good when I am in public and so I went in sat down and was conversing with the lawmaker and someone came in behind me and fricken passed the heck out. So I cannot go out in public with my cologne on is that how society is now? Never heard of such nonsense until just recently what has gone wrong with humans are we becoming allergic to living jeez!

xpluswearer said:
Found that out. I was at a lawmaker meet & greet and I like to smell good when I am in public and so I went in sat down and was conversing with the lawmaker and someone came in behind me and fricken passed the heck out. So I cannot go out in public with my cologne on is that how society is now? Never heard of such nonsense until just recently what has gone wrong with humans are we becoming allergic to living jeez!

This makes me question how heavy-handed you are with your cologne. I'm not allergic to any scents, but I am very scent-sensitive due to migraines, they can trigger an attack. Cologne, perfume and the like only bother me when they're used excessively, like when I can't be within a 5 meter radius of a person without being smothered by their perfume.
Another thing to consider is whether or not your cologne uses a lot of chemicals. I find that I'm less bothered by natural scents (I have a green tea perfume that I really like, my friend has a citrus one that doesn't bother me) than chemical scents (cheaper, sweet perfumes or air fresheners.)
If you are using a subtle, natural scent, I don't mean to offend you or assume anything, that person might just have been particularily sensitive and maybe not have eaten anything that day.

Also, before you go cursing the frail nature of modern society: A big reason why people have become so sensitive to scents is probably that absolutely everything is scented nowadays. Shops use scents to lure customers, advertisements include scent samples, soaps, shampoos etc are heavily scented, air fresheners everywhere. It might actually be worse in the United States, as over here I don't feel as assaulted by scents than when I went to visit America. (We also don't scent baby diapers...I'm always slightly confused when I see people talking about "pampers scent" on here^^")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back