Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The biggest problem in politics is simple.

I agree political participation in this country is lacking. Far to many people are either apathetic or pay no attention to politics. Participation in elections even presidential elections is alarmingly low. I heard that something like 90 million people didn't bother to vote in 2016. I also find that to many people are very uninformed about civics and the way that the government works. Case in point when people were surveyed about health care reform they said they didn't like Obama Care but did like the ACA not realizing that they were the same thing. The country is becoming very polarized. As a result Congress can't get a thing done. Obama proposed spending money on infrastructure. Nothing happened for 8 years why because the GOP didn't want to give him a victory. Trump proposed spending money on infrastructure but once again nothing is happening because he wanted the states to shoulder the financial burden. I look around the world like in Singapore or China and see amazing infrastructure projects and yet we are falling behind. The grid lock in congress is hurting all of us. The public can make a difference but they need to stay informed and pressure their member to act.

Here what I seeing. We are not seeing facts in the media. But we are seeing Politic Properganda. Left is on one set of news, right being on the other side of the Media. They could be true in some ways. But not the whole truth. The left and right tend to leave so much out it distorts the truth.

They are also not posting all the facts and only posting what will hurt which politic side they favour. I had to learn to watch both news to hope to form my views on I think the true fact is. Problem is I could be wrong on either side.

Thing is people I have seen something said and over time be distorted to say something else. Because of the media cuts and paste the info. So we don't see the whole facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Azie View Post
    Once elected, at least where I live, [my representatives] try to be inclusive to everyone they represent ...
    In other words, they represent a minority - people in their district. This is what we expect of them and we also expect them to negotiate with other members of congress to find satisfactory compromises. This is how the system operates, and it appears sensible, but it doesn't seem to be working. Just ask the majority of Americans.

I think the problem lies in the fact that an acceptable compromise in congress is not the same as an acceptable compromise in the general public. In congress, reaching a compromise on a divisive issue, abortion for example, would most likely involve financial considerations such as tax breaks for some, or reallocation of funds in unrelated areas. I believe this is the "business as usual" most Americans object to.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    In other words, they represent a minority - people in their district. This is what we expect of them and we also expect them to negotiate with other members of congress to find satisfactory compromises. This is how the system operates, and it appears sensible, but it doesn't seem to be working. Just ask the majority of Americans.

I think the problem lies in the fact that an acceptable compromise in congress is not the same as an acceptable compromise in the general public. In congress, reaching a compromise on a divisive issue, abortion for example, would most likely involve financial considerations such as tax breaks for some, or reallocation of funds in unrelated areas. I believe this is the "business as usual" most Americans object to.
    Yes, I do agree its the business as usual attitude that is leaving a bad taste in Americans' collective mouths. The system works, the issue is actually with the people we are electing that stick hardcore to what ever their party dictates. There is a difference between the statesman and the politician, and I believe that at a state level, at least in Iowa, we have noticed it, and have elected the best federal representatives we can. In particular, we have seen the same people stand toe to toe with both parties and different political ideologies in order to best represent the the citizens of the state.

This 'business as usual' is actually a flaw of the two party system, where elected officials take it as 'I belong to this party, we won the election, I must vote according to my party.' That leads to piss poor governance and policy making. Basically most of our federal government is more concerned about their party winning over what the people they represent want. And yes, I do agree that an acceptable compromise in congress is not the same as a good compromise for the general public.

The idea of a political compromise is 'We can give you first trimester abortions, if you give us permission to privatize the federal prison system, of which ten members of our party are investors. Oh and we will throw in your 1/100th of a cent green energy tax cut, if you give us the 100% private jet fuel write off. And while we are at it, we want a shiny new bridge to no where. Oh, and papa needs a new pair of shoes, so I must get new shoes for this to go through.'

That's just a loose example of course and very fictional, but generally how things tend to go. Instead of dealing with one issue, it turns into a complete circle jerk of misspending.

[QUOTE= It is the worldwide culture where too many people click the like button on social media and then tell themselves they just made a difference.[/QUOTE]

Most of us are NOT members of an "extreme political" opinion. Such as the Klan or the Transgender lobby just to name a couple. The VAST majority of the population are middle of the political spectrum, and happy with there lives. So answering a couple of those online Democratic poles that always end by asking us to donate $5, and voting every 4 years is about all they feel the need to do for the most part. And they have a job to get to in a couple hours anyway.
    So yes. most of the population is content to putter along with the system as is. It's only when one of two things happens that these people finally get out of the Lazyboy and turn off the game.
    A. The person in question STRONGLY believes in one of two apposing positions. Right to life vs Pro choice or Religious freedom vs LGBT rights.
    or
    B. Something gos really wrong. Such as Ronald McTrump gets elected by the Electoral collage.

[QUOTE= The fact is that if a lot more people contacted their local legislators and made it clear that the people have the power to vote them out, chances are we just might have better Presidential candidates than Trump vs Hillary again. [/QUOTE]

Although I would trust both McTrump and Billery as fair as I can through a Klingon battleship in a 5G gravitywell. Billery was still WAY more qualified than McTrump for the job. A. She's been in the Whitehorse, As the first lady, She's been in congress, she's worked for the Foreign Service. She was THE most fully prepared candidate to ever run for the office.

[QUOTE= But instead people turn to a mass media that paints political party followers with unfairly broad strokes. It was through contacting legislators that I learned that not every leftist is level headed, and not every conservative is a fascist. Far from it. Both sides have their share of extremists, and extremists sell more papers than genuinely nice people do. [/QUOTE]

I think you sort of answered your own question there. It's all about dragging the readers/listeners/viewers, with a dumbfounded look on there faces. so you can sell them newspapers, A new Ford pickup truck, or more Landry soap. It ALL about the $$$.

[QUOTE= ...the only way that can change is if more people actually got involved in the legislative process. [/QUOTE]

The last time I was to the Michigan Democratic Caucus, I attended the two hour LGBT caucus, being chaired by a gay man, and watched as an obviously trans-woman sat for two hours with her hand in the air, as the chair ignored her and called on ONLY the hands attached to a swinging... member. So arguing you need to get involved to make change... True... But not always true. It may well just get you ignored. So be ready to find some way to kick ass and take names without getting prosecuted for the attack.