Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Questioning My Faith

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFellow View Post
    It is true that you can use Newton's argumentation on many other religions and possible scenarios.
    But he did not.

It is true that when 50 million people in your country are doing something wrong it does not become true by this majority.
    As I am german I've learned this from my grandparents history.

And if you like to believe another one of the myriad possible reality interpretations: the allmighty Spaggetti Monster might have created the whole world with every human and his memories and everything else like it is, just yesterday and no one would be able to find the truth out. =P
    Maybe I'm missing the point here, but I rather like Isaac Newton (even if history records him as being a bit of a jerk!). He was truly brilliant, but not entirely right about everything. There was value to be gained in questioning the assumptions he laid out.

Having not read everything else in the thread, I'll only offer my own advice.

Do your own thinking. Investigate everything, ask questions, seek answers. See where they take you. Sometimes it's back where you started with a greater understanding, sometimes the path takes you somewhere else entirely.

Don't put too much stock in one thing or another. Sometimes the 'gut feelings' turn out to be the right choice, sometimes you need to dig deeper for your answers.

I like science for the way it tries to quantify the world and universe. That's a big undertaking, but also realize that scientific understanding changes daily. It's not static. It's constantly changing to reflect new information.

Religion, when taken responsibly, is good for social needs. A group of (nearly) like minded folks wanting to do some good in the world is a great thing. Just don't fall for the "Don't ask questions, everything is 100% accurate, all is concrete." Religion ought to be similar to science. As things change, it should be a bit more fluid than it usually is.

But like I said in the beginning, you can't be led down the path, you need to find it for yourself. :3 It's the journey that makes the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Leio View Post
    So...

Recently,

I have been seriously questioning my faith. I grew up with parents that are devout Christians.

Ever since I was little, I always had doubts about what I was taught about the Bible. During this summer break, I have been spending time watching debates between atheists and theists. I admit that the theists sometimes have very good points, but I feel that atheism appeals more to logic and rationality.

The main doubts that I have are relating to the philosophical "Problem of Evil" aka why does so much bad stuff (evil) happen in the world and how can evil exist with the concept of a all knowing, benevolent, and powerful god. Some more doubts that have come to mind are the contradictions in the gospels and the Bible.

I've never had any spiritual experiences. I've never had the experience of God talking to me. The one experience that I question whether it was supernatural was in the midst of my depression. During that one depressive episode, I heard a command telling me that I had to continue fighting and that it was to early for me to die. No one was in the house when I had that experience.

This is a long post and I thank everyone for taking the time to read this. All I want to know is if other's have had similar experiences and how they have either reconciled their faith or left it.
    I have only skimmed the thread twice and not reading all of the detail to the OP.

So for give me.

I have one felling when I looked at this.

I was brought up in a "religious' environment and shamed and berated for not being as perfect as I was suppose to.

As I grew up I saw a lot of things that made me question the "religious" belief. As I went thorough my education I was exposed to a lot of contradictions and challenges to the "laws" of the religion. I made some own discoveries and core beliefs.

Then when I lived on the Hopi Reservation I got my eyes opened.

I do not go to church. One "excuses" is my perfume allergies and I just about go into raspatory arrest when I get near the old hypocrites in the front of the church with Bengay and perfume on to a level when they can smell it.

The thing I go by is more of I live my life as an example of what I understand that the "bible" says you should live your life and not what the religions tell us to do.

I have read the bible from cover to cover and I do not see the "churches" even acting to what is said should be done.

So as for the evil question. How much is bad things happen to "groups" that continue to make bad choices and Those that get help are the ones that get off their asses and do instead of the ones that wait for someone to come help them.

Just my opinion.

For the non believing:
    Referring to Isaac Newton:
    IF there is even slight chance that god exists it would be the most logical choice to live like if it is true compared to the consequences of the remaining other possible faults of choices of believing and the non existance of god and not believing but being wrong with that.
    This is a fact nobody can deny.
    It's a fallacy known as Pascal's Wager.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager

The problem is that there are thousands of gods and supernatural concepts one could believe in. Most of these belief systems are contradictory in their metaphysical claims. And many belief systems punish those who worship other gods.

So the best thing to do might be to have no supernatural beliefs and hope the gods are merciful of sincere ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by Leio View Post
    So...
    ently,

I have been seriously questioning my faith. I grew up with parents that are devout Christians.

Rec
    Ever since I was little, I always had doubts about what I was taught about the Bible. During this summer break, I have been spending time watching debates between atheists and theists. I admit that the theists sometimes have very good points, but I feel that atheism appeals more to logic and rationality.
    Best suggestion I can give you is start watching more debates and make up your own mind. I not going to tell you which is right.

The main doubts that I have are relating to the philosophical "Problem of Evil" aka why does so much bad stuff (evil) happen in the world and how can evil exist with the concept of a all knowing, benevolent, and powerful god. Some more doubts that have come to mind are the contradictions in the gospels and the Bible.
    Remember each group has their own holy book that tells the history differently in their own religious group. That could be why different religions fight with each other. With Atheist. I can look at every race or religion group and say I have no hate for any of them.

I've never had any spiritual experiences. I've never had the experience of God talking to me. The one experience that I question whether it was supernatural was in the midst of my depression. During that one depressive episode, I heard a command telling me that I had to continue fighting and that it was to early for me to die. No one was in the house when I had that experience.
    Not sure but I think with religion. God forgive you anything. The problem is with this is people believe it and do stupid things. Like, commit suicide. While Atheist most of us believe 1 life and 1 death but not all of us. But we take life for granted more. Most of us don't do stupid things. Which we know it could put our self in danger.

This is a long post and I thank everyone for taking the time to read this. All I want to know is if other's have had similar experiences and how they have either reconciled their faith or left it.
    What started me on Atheist was a video game called Elite in 1984 also the game Master of Orion and study of Science and study of stars and if they could have life on them. Also at the time I was seeing life in the deepest part of oceans and they are living in extream environments. Even if a planet was harsh life could live.

Oh, from Pascal? Wow thanx a lot!
    Yes, the problem how to believe is not ssolved by this decision matrix.
    It is just comparing the possible choices and consequences of a decision everyone has to take.

......................God exists (G)............God does not exist (G)
    Belief (B)........+∞ (infinite gain)......−1 (finite loss)
    Disbelief (B)..−∞ (infinite loss)......+1 (finite gain)

And it does not serve as a proof of gods existence.

I do not believe in hell as a place of afterlife punishment for non-serving God, but I believe in Hell as a condition of our hearts and mind. I understand the teachings of Jesus as main concept in a guide for eternal existance, given from god as beeing eternal life himself.

Oh, from Pascal? Wow thanx a lot!
    Yes, the problem how to believe is not ssolved by this decision matrix.
    It is just comparing the possible choices and consequences of a decision everyone has to take.

......................God exists (G)............God does not exist (G)
    Belief (B)........+∞ (infinite gain)......−1 (finite loss)
    Disbelief (B)..−∞ (infinite loss)......+1 (finite gain)

And it does not serve as a proof of gods existence.

I do not believe in hell as a place of afterlife punishment for non-serving God, but I believe in Hell as a condition of our hearts and mind. I understand the teachings of Jesus as main concept in a guide for eternal existance, given from god as beeing eternal life himself.
    Pascal's Wager also works when it comes to which religion you should believe in, because not believing in one religion means you'll be in that Religions Hell as opposed to your Heaven, which also comes in to your Belief-Disbelief system, so why take the chance of not believing in the supposed "one true religion" and go to hell anyway as compared to not believing in any Gods or Goddesses in the first place.

For instance let's say you have 6 different Religions, you believe in Religion 1, so when you die you go to Religion 1's Heaven, but at the same time you go to the Hell of the other 5 Religions because to those 5, Religion 1 is not the True Religion, but to Religion 1 the other 5 aren't the True Religion etc etc.

This is actually one of the main problems with Religion, no one can decide which is the one True Religion, or explain why their Religion is the one True Religion.
    Last edited by SgtOddball; 2 Weeks Ago at 16:22. Reason: Giving more detail

My Religiosity (spirituality) is manifested in my love for my teddy bears

I choose to love inanimate objects rather than an imaginary deity or a belief system because..?

Because my love for my teddy bears is as pure as love can be because it comes from within me rather than as a result of what I've been taught (trained) to believe... because my love for Cutie 1 & Cutie 2 is of me

We are three but we are One... we are Me

The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost...

Cutie 1 is the 'Holy Ghost' in Us, and Cutie 2 and I absolutely treasure him because...
    Last edited by twinky; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:56.

I have no faith to question. I was grown up Catholic and pretty much lost interest in their dogma about the time I gave up believing in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. Frankly, I'd probably have given it up earlier if I'd been paying attention in First Communion prep and understood what they were trying to tell me about transubstantiation.