Old Potty Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember my potty training. I remember it was a beautiful spring day, I wanted to go outside, but I was not allowed to because I was being potty trained. I remember wondering what I did wrong because I know my older brother (4 years older then me) would be not allowed to go out when it was bad, so I was confused about what I did wrong and why I was not allowed to go outside.

About how old were you at that time?

woodenpotty said:
It was a different time and they did things differently. Everything for children was a lot more disciplined (and for adults, I guess as I wasn't one then). I help at my grandson's elementary school. This line up would not be possible, especially with just one adult present. In the 1940s 95% of children were spanked. And don't forget the adults were children of the depression, when life was incredibly hard. That followed by more tough times with WW II. As a child I didn't resent all of this, as every other kid I knew had similar experiences. It is that "universal" effect that makes it not a problem. The real key to whether it became abuse was did you feel like this was done in love and that the wanted you to turn out well. We have enough people that tell stories of abuse (and it was) because whatever happened came not from love but hate. And there were also some wonderful things about the era.View attachment 31159

Since I was toilet trained before age two in the late forties my memories are faint. But I do remember the chair. It was wooden, had a red (rubber?) deflector upfront with a strap to secure me. Knowing mother and her handling of my bed-wetting, potty training was rigid.

Picture brings back memories. We were assigned to a line with each having a leader (front person). Rules were enforced with mild corporal punishment on the spot with repeat offenders taken to the principal’s office for more serious enforcement.

It was much the same at home. Mom handled minor offenses on the spot with spanking. Dad addressed serious stuff in the basement with a belt. I feared the whippings, but dad was fair. He gave me ample warning with a chance to correct my behavior before a trip to the basement.

It was a competition my baby trained at 2 1\2 mom's looked down on you if you're child was still in diapers.
Children in cloth potty trained sooner if they wear cloth diapers.
It was the normal back then.

Welcome to the club WBxx - (I was born in 1947) Just about all of that age had our bottoms burned up fairly regularly. You are right about the pee deflector,some were made of reddish rubber.abell deflector.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Foxkits - Yes 2 1/2 was about the end of "respectable" potty training. And after two they tended to get rather harsh to accomplish the task. In a side note, I make reproductions of 1950s potty chairs. About 80% of my customers are grandmothers. And I often hear that the mommy is being pushed by grandma to get the job done.

woodenpotty said:
About how old were you at that time?

because of health issues, I was about 4.

And that probably was the reason you remember it. Most kids under three would not have made the connection. I hope your health issues have resolved.

woodenpotty said:
Welcome to the club WBxx - (I was born in 1947) Just about all of that age had our bottoms burned up fairly regularly. You are right about the pee deflector,some were made of reddish rubber.View attachment 31160

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Foxkits - Yes 2 1/2 was about the end of "respectable" potty training. And after two they tended to get rather harsh to accomplish the task. In a side note, I make reproductions of 1950s potty chairs. About 80% of my customers are grandmothers. And I often hear that the mommy is being pushed by grandma to get the job done.

It’s been seventy years, but that deflector matches my memory. Funny how some things stick in your mind.

As for butt burning, were you ever spanked for wetting the bed? I was, many times. Told her I was sorry, was asleep, couldn’t help it. Guess she didn’t believe me. Tell you one thing, mom’s rage over my bed-wetting shaped my sexuality and in turn my entire life. It’s the reason I’m here looking for answers/understanding decades later.

No, but I can't ever remember wetting the bed except for once. But my mother would often say I would talk in my sleep. She would walk in my room and tell me to go to the toilet. The next morning I never remembered going to the toilet at all.

I had a friend who did wet the bed. the solution was his mom set an alarm for something like 2AM. It would go off and he would go to the toilet. And that finished the problem.

And another that had the alarm that went off when it sensed the first dribble. It still left PJs that had a little wet. But the kid could change PJs and not wake mom. And that was alright for her and him.

I was spanked and I spanked my kids but never for anything that I wasn't sure they did have control over. I had 3 girls and often they all would be in trouble.

One time the group got in trouble. The younger two admitted it but the oldest kept lying that she hadn't. I think she had escaped a couple of times, but I was suspicious. This time I spied and knew she was guilty.

Well all three of them got paddled for what they did. But I told the older one to stand in the corner because she lied. And about half an hour later I got her and gave her a nasty bare bottomed strapping. :eek:tkspanking:

A couple of hours later the youngest one came and told me that her sister had lied. I told her that I wouldn't have done what I did unless I was sure she lied. And, as far as I know, stopped any of them from lying to me.

But to pat myself on the back being 100% sure the child really had control is earth shakingly important. And finding a non spanking solution needs always to be tried first.

I'm sorry you weren't treated better. Try and understand that (I'd wager) she had other problems. Did she act responsibly when spanking at other times?
My wife had a mother with problems. She said she would get spanked for nothing and other times she expected to get spanked but didn't. Left her very confused.

I was 90's kid, but I do remember potty training, and I potty trained late—around 5½, and still had trouble around 6. I was made to call an adult every time I even thought that I needed the potty, even if it turned out that I didn't. I just didn't have that sense that you get when you have to go, and it made for a lot of wet pants and bedding at home, and lots of embarrassment at school. My mother never threatened me with anything but her disappointed lectures cut hard.

Words can be as bad as getting physically punished (perhaps worse because there are not visible marks). But once you get to school age real problems happen. Did you have a physical ailment? Did they try when you were younger or did they wait for you to be ready?

woodenpotty said:
Words can be as bad as getting physically punished (perhaps worse because there are not visible marks). But once you get to school age real problems happen. Did you have a physical ailment? Did they try when you were younger or did they wait for you to be ready?

There was something wrong with the nerves in that area, probably something to do with me being a preemie (2lbs 8oz). Mom had been trying to get me trained since 3, but it wasn't working, because I just couldn't notice it. After a while she tried putting me on a schedule — I would have to go potty at specific times whether I thought I needed to or not. This had limited success, and by the time kindergarten rolled around, I had to work on the class schedule — which was bad for me staying dry.

I'm sure she was frustrated and she let you know her disappointment. You want the best for your kids and when it isn't working... :grouphug: I'm also guessing she wanted the school to work with you and they refused. Now a days schools have to adjust for kids with special needs. In a perfect world she wouldn't have let you sense her frustration.

The reason I asked about starting training. At that that time emphasis was placed on the child determining with toilet readiness and if you didn't have sensations... I think your mother was correct with having a schedule for you to go potty. That is a great technique for the training process. Did you have any problem with bowel movements? Or were aware of that function?

woodenpotty said:
I'm sure she was frustrated and she let you know her disappointment. You want the best for your kids and when it isn't working... :grouphug: I'm also guessing she wanted the school to work with you and they refused. Now a days schools have to adjust for kids with special needs. In a perfect world she wouldn't have let you sense her frustration.

The reason I asked about starting training. At that that time emphasis was placed on the child determining with toilet readiness and if you didn't have sensations... I think your mother was correct with having a schedule for you to go potty. That is a great technique for the training process. Did you have any problem with bowel movements? Or were aware of that function?

I was fine with bowel movements, because those hurt when the time came. When it was time to go we made a rush to the potty then. It was all heaps of praise then, because I never missed those.

So that sounds perfect for your bowel movements. Normally that technique would take care of both functions but with missing sensations things didn't progress. My guess is your mother did what the best she or just about anyone else could. So try and take what was said with a grain of salt. And perhaps some of the anger should be with the school. It doesn't seem to be too big an accommodation to make sure you had regular access to the rest room. Did you ever get a sense of a full bladder?

I finally got the sense of a full bladder at around 6. It kicks in really early, even now, so I'd run to the bathroom every hour or so. Now, it kicks in a bit late, so unless I'm wearing some kind of protection I'm usually in trouble; and if I'm sleeping, it rarely wakes me up in time.

It is interesting with people who identify as being DL. Some are out of necessity, some not so. I hope you can work out any anger. It keeps you captive to things in the past. When it comes to toilet training I identify with older more strict methods. But only for those who are capable. And I wonder if we were in your mother's place what would we do. Thank you for being open to all my questions and I wish you the best.

potty chair quiz

WBxx (or anyone else who would care to answer) I guess it is time to further test your memory. Did it have solid sides, tubing or was it a fold up? Or even something different yet?bear with balloons.JPGoak hill blond RH.jpgDSC03320.jpg

That solid Bear with Balloons chair looks very familiar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

They were common. Do you remember if it had a tray and/or seat belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back