TSA restrictions on powder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fly often and have never had the powder confiscated but I try to have no larger than a travel size container of powder in my carry on bag. That being said, I did have a large container with me once where they had to do an additional inspection on the backpack. Nothing was said but if you're not ready for the extra scrutiny, you might want to send your powder in a checked bag.

srmousse said:
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/l...815/tsa-powder-restrictions-carry-on-baggage/

Looks like American airport authorities are limiting the quantity of powder allowed In your carryon to just 12 oz and can search your bag and examine the powder if they so choose. They are recommending storing your powder in your checked bag to simplify the security line.
This is what I do not get about the TSA restrictions. We cannot take a 20 ounce bottle of water thru the checkpoint yet the same lot of bottle water is sitting next to the checkpoint in the store at the airport go figure or the 12 ounce can of soda too. Strange though that bleach is not permissible yet is sold at a store at Terminal E in Boston and large bottles of liquid Health & Beauty items also Cleaning supplies I am scratching my head on that !!!! Also selling items that are prohibited too. By the way selling big bottles of baby powder too. What about the large drinks you buy at Mc Donalds or Burger King and those 16-20 ounce starbucks/ Dunkin Donuts too????
Whats to say you do not grab a wine bottle that is empty from a bar trash can or airline club too and use it as a weapon??? Ladies with long fingernails are more dangerous than a 12-20 ounce water or soda for crying out loud! let alone your keys can be used as a knife or tool too.... TSA BONEHEADS!!! in my opinion just window dressings.

You are allowed to carry powder. It will probably be tested as powder appears a certain way under x-ray. Once it clears the test its good to go.

Powder is allowed. I once was stopped at the checkpoint when they saw it in my bag and all they wanted to do is assure it was powder and not liquid (which they have restrictions on).

xpluswearer said:
This is what I do not get about the TSA restrictions. We cannot take a 20 ounce bottle of water thru the checkpoint yet the same lot of bottle water is sitting next to the checkpoint in the store at the airport go figure or the 12 ounce can of soda too. Strange though that bleach is not permissible yet is sold at a store at Terminal E in Boston and large bottles of liquid Health & Beauty items also Cleaning supplies I am scratching my head on that !!!! Also selling items that are prohibited too. By the way selling big bottles of baby powder too. What about the large drinks you buy at Mc Donalds or Burger King and those 16-20 ounce starbucks/ Dunkin Donuts too????
Whats to say you do not grab a wine bottle that is empty from a bar trash can or airline club too and use it as a weapon??? Ladies with long fingernails are more dangerous than a 12-20 ounce water or soda for crying out loud! let alone your keys can be used as a knife or tool too.... TSA BONEHEADS!!! in my opinion just window dressings.
I agree that TSA is almost entirely for show: nearly all the regulations they enforce do little or nothing to actually decrease risk.
That said, the idea of the limits at the checkpoint is to prevent malefactors from bringing in dangerous materials from outside the airport. In theory, everything that's available past the checkpoint has already been cleared.

The reality of the situation is that TSA is going to remain largely ineffective some changes occur: much greater funding and selectivity for hiring, change the legal environment regarding "profiling" of passengers, or change the laws regarding qualified carry concurrent with supplying frangible rounds.

The liquid ban comes from intelligence on people smuggling in a binary explosive of which includes a reasonable amount of a liquid substance. This is why there's a 3oz/1qt Ziploc bag thing in place. Still, even PreChek people (who don't have to pull out the ziploc bag), still need to comply.

willnotwill said:
The liquid ban comes from intelligence on people smuggling in a binary explosive of which includes a reasonable amount of a liquid substance. This is why there's a 3oz/1qt Ziploc bag thing in place. Still, even PreChek people (who don't have to pull out the ziploc bag), still need to comply.
Whats to say someone brings in a large empty container and the other companions bring in the so called amount needed to do such actions whats to stop that like I said someone can find a wine bottle in a airport bar trash can take that and use it as a vessel. shoot you dont need a container really just a empty camelback backpack enter the airport club and fill it up at the beverage counter by the unlimited wine, beer and use that.. or Orange Juice...
may as well eliminate the sugar for coffee too while you are at it.
I still say why not ban fingernails longer than the quip of the finger huh. Keys...

Well most of you guys are to young to remember but i can remember when they banned cigarettes and smoking on flights yet sold them in the airport ,theory is if you toss or have your smoking stuff confiscated you'll pay the outrageous "airport price" , to replace what you had to get rid of . As far as TSA they are nothing but hall monitors with bad attitudes. In the early days of TSA i flew and had my keys on Kubaton they had a fit and made me get a box and put it in cargo, however in my check on bag they had not a word to say about a Collapsible PR 24 side handle baton, much of TSA is decoration and the illusion of detterence with a handfull of people who think the uniform confers some grand authority,well the majority are just unhappy unfulfilled typical people doing a job to pay the bills and make it thru another shift,we would probably do better at placing trained canines at checkpoints,half my neighborhood thinks my service dog is "Kugo" ,it makes no sense to them differences in temperament or personality and what they have been trained to do .

I think as biometric , magnetic , on other non keyed technology gets better and more accepted a day will come when keys will be prohibited,as a decidedly low tech solution that has stood the test of time of hundreds of years , i dont think its gonna happen anytime soon, especially with the embarrassing hacking of so much sensitive information from "secure" data installtions .People dont realize yet how much information can be gleaned from there devices, that isn't explicitly written by the apps they use the frequency and timing of use ,and being able to exploit a weakness in a known app to compromise many apps.
Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I have been flying since you could smoke on board the aircraft and it's never in the past, nor is it now, banned to carry cigarettes or whatever on the plane. There are some restrictions on the types of lighteres you can have. The smoking ban has nothing to do with having you buy cigarettes in the airport, but the hysterical outcry against second hand smoke.

had a issue with mistaken identification of sprinkles for crushed capsule guts used for drug use! Why is it that people do not clean up after they use something! Borrowed a family member car that was just borrowed by another and I said to original owner hey who is using drugs in your car . I do not want to be pulled over and have that be in the car if I am driving it I would be jailed in a New York second for a score by some opie deputy in my backwoods part of the country. there was also a metal tool that had a burnt end with black residue on it and a layman would put two and two together and say drug use not a tool to be used in a workplace that you put objects together now would you??? I was not taking the chance on being caught with something. Somehow the person before me claimed its sprinkles off a pop tart now why would someone eat something after you put it in a dirty holder in a car huh? come on now I was not dropped off the last mayflower ship now!!! they got miffed I said good god clean up after you use the car for the next person geebers!!!!

willnotwill said:
The smoking ban has nothing to do with having you buy cigarettes in the airport, but the hysterical outcry against second hand smoke.

It's easy for smokers to forget how annoying second-hand smoke can be for some people. It's really not that different than someone on the plane (or bus or restaurant or whatever) having an out-of-control screaming kid. (which is something that's easier for the smoker to relate to) You paid for a service you need, yet you're trapped in the situation, and there's little you can do about it but suffer through it. And I can't help but feel resentment for the source of my suffering.

(I'm one of those unlucky ones with bad sinuses that gets anywhere from mild to downright pounding sinus headaches when forced to breathe cigarette smoke for very long, and yeah, growing up around two parents that practically chain-smoked really sucked, especially on long car trips)

The health consequences never even occur to me, it's the pounding headache that makes me want to jump up and feed them their cigarette. Even though it's almost certainly not intentional, I can't help but think of them as being extremely inconsiderate of those around them.

bambinod said:
It's easy for smokers to forget how annoying second-hand smoke can be for some people. It's really not that different than someone on the plane (or bus or restaurant or whatever) having an out-of-control screaming kid. (which is something that's easier for the smoker to relate to) You paid for a service you need, yet you're trapped in the situation, and there's little you can do about it but suffer through it. And I can't help but feel resentment for the source of my suffering.

(I'm one of those unlucky ones with bad sinuses that gets anywhere from mild to downright pounding sinus headaches when forced to breathe cigarette smoke for very long, and yeah, growing up around two parents that practically chain-smoked really sucked, especially on long car trips)

The health consequences never even occur to me, it's the pounding headache that makes me want to jump up and feed them their cigarette. Even though it's almost certainly not intentional, I can't help but think of them as being extremely inconsiderate of those around them.
I quit smoking going on three years ago but i can have people walk by me and tell if they smoke just from the smell.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Probably worried about carbide. Carbide is a powder that, when mixed with water, becomes explosive. Not too powerful, but enough of it could pose a threat. Kind of surprised they're only cracking down on this now. After all, even thermite is a powder.

NovaDL said:
Probably worried about carbide. Carbide is a powder that, when mixed with water, becomes explosive. Not too powerful, but enough of it could pose a threat. Kind of surprised they're only cracking down on this now. After all, even thermite is a powder.
Yep World Trade Center towers were painted with Thermite laced paint! Some renovation huh?
When will they ban fingernails & Keys? Cannot wait for a ACLU Lawsuit to be filed on that one.

Whoa. And I was seriously considering the possibility of smuggling cocaine on my carry on luggage in Johnson and Johnson containers. Let's hope nobody uses that as baby powder.

TSA tries to hard :T, fly private!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back