How did you get over your guilt and shame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I would love to hear your stories on how you all got over your guilt and shame, especially from people who were absolutely horrified of the idea of being found out and eventually came to accept themselves. As someone who is working on this myself, I think this would be good for the souls of many of us who are struggling. Share away!

It's a fair question to ask.

Oddly enough, I think whatever guilt or shame I felt in the past was minute and often stemmed from confusion more than anything. Wanting to be a baby again and wear diapers simply isn't normal (then again, what is), there's a huge stigma surrounding stuff like that and I always felt that I was being forced to grow up too quickly. To make matters worse, when I first stumbled upon AB/DL, like when I first knew that was the official term, it was classified strictly as a fetish, but I never felt that this was sexual in any sense, it just seemed fun, pure and enjoyable to me. That moment of first discovery and then gathering the resolve to begin indulging was both confusing and somewhat difficult.

At 14, I decided to try dipping my toes into this gradually because I had thought about it off and on for years before that (since I was 5). I assembled a small assortment of baby items and when I could, I went to local pharmacies and stores and would buy your typical store bought medical briefs. As I started to wear and regress more, the more natural it felt. Sometimes the fantasy would be better than the reality, especially when you are stuck with lousy, cheap store brands, but over time even my lack of diaper options ceased to put a damper on things and I was slowly but surely realizing, that this was just another part of who I was. Being an AB was a little eccentric sure, but it made me happy, kept me focussed and it relaxed me like nothing else, so I started to realize that it wasn't anything to be ashamed of. I also noticed, as I was doing searches online, when this community was still niche and relatively unheard of (I guess it still is), that if I explored responsibly, everything would be fine.

It wasn't until I got a private room at University and moved out at 19 that I began indulging with greater consistency and more supplies i.e. onesies, larger baby toys, ABDL specialty diapers. During that time, I fully accepted this side of myself, I realized that this was a part of me, it was never going to change and I learned more and more about this side of myself as I engaged. I met girlfriends, finished classes, rented apartments, I still did all the adult stuff.

I suppose one of the only fears I had, even as I neared a point of full acceptance, was that other people would not be able to accept this, that I would be alone. At some point though, I decided to tackle those fears and I slowly began opening up and confiding in others. I told my closest friends, my girlfriends too and I was lucky, I was never met with any grief. Everyone I told accepted it, one girlfriend even participated as my Mommy. Having the acceptance of others further bolstered my own self-acceptance. Now, I'm in a very good place, I have my own apartment, finished University, am heading back for my Masters, I have several part time/contractual jobs, I have a load of hobbies that keep me busy and I even have a Mommy friend who cares for me from time to time.

One thing, that you'll notice with many of these stories, is that everyone's experience and path to acceptance is different, some likely struggled more than others. I don't think I personally had a very hard time accepting it. I always knew it was there and it was never getting in the way of my adult life or hurting myself or others, so I just began wrapping my mind around it and treating it as a unique interest and form of expression, an undeniable part of who I am.

Like I said, when you are just figuring out all the fine details you sometimes worry; will I find a girlfriend? will I lead a productive life? That worry can sometimes lead to shame, guilt, fear and embarrassment, but the more you practice and explore, the more you'll learn to accept yourself.

Aside from some initial confusion and worries about being alone, the only other thing remotely resembling hardship that I faced, was when I was still in my teens and my mother stumbled upon my stash of baby toys. She responded poorly, but fortunately, she never found any diapers and the shame and anger she exposed me to faded quickly. I know others have had quite the time accepting this, but for me it was a pretty routine process, not very hard, it took a while, but it was completely worthwhile.

Explore responsibly, learn to love yourself, seek the acceptance of those close to you and you should be fine, that guilt and shame will relent and you'll be perfectly happy with your AB/DL side. Good luck! I hope my story and the many other stories you'll get can help you and others :)

Last edited:
If I ever get that point I'll gladly share with you!! Wish being a dl was accepted better. Oh well what do u do? Happy diaper time!!

I struggled with this for a very long time as a teenager, but, it wasn’t just ABDL things for me. Growing up in the South, can be very challenging for anyone trying to sort out questions of identity, sexuality, or religion as there is a simple culture of conformity that you get from small towns. For me, growing up trying to be the best Christian, the best student, a perfect child while dealing with such an unusual liking to diapers was gut wrenching. To top it all off, I’m gay, so as you could imagine there was a lot of self hate in my life. However, there is one more thing about me that got me through it all—I’m very contemplative by nature. I have always been inquisitive about life’s big questions and have been prone to deep thought since I was very young. During one of the lowest times of my life I finally stopped myself and asked a simple question that is a little different than the generic “who am I”. I asked myself what do I believe and why do I believe it. Please don’t misunderstand this to be a religious question, despite the connotation, it’s a retrospective analysis of who I am fundamentally. What I did was used the question as a sieve and analyzed everything about myself and came to terms with a lot self hatred. I accepted the fact that being a DL was actually okay! It’s a part of me that makes me happy and doesn’t harm anyone around me. Granted I respectfully keep it private from other people, but I am not ashamed of who I am and it is not something that I have any desire to change about myself.

I just got to a point where I just have a better mentality about a lot of things, one of them being that if something is a part of you and there is no harm in it, why feel guilty or ashamed?

A lot of times there are things you wish you could change, but when you realize that you can't change reality, but you can change how you react to reality and manage your stress, you can live a better life with the same problems (if it is really a problem, but in the case of being an AB, DL, Little, or any other related aspects it isn't a problem, it's part of your identity and the only problems come when you can't live comfortably with yourself, or when somebody else in your life is making a big fuss, but the last part is for another topic; this one being about self acceptance).

I'm not sure I've gotten over shame and embarrassment at all, but I've accepted it, when some of my friends learned about me wearing diapers.
And later, when we used to systematically go off to and get caught in off-limits areas, and embarrassment and shame from being told off for that added to the excitement of breaking rules, and then at some point I started thinking, that the people, who used to catch us didn't know about my underwear and that added even more shame and excitement and I ended up even liking this feeling to some extent...

No shame here; luckily I was able to bring it up with my wife without too much trouble. Only guilt I feel is the environmental impact of my new hobby. I'm actually kind of hoping it's a phase only for that reason, but I'm going with it and hope one day my wife gets more on board (playing mommy, diaper change, etc.)

It took much longer than I would like. I'm not sure why it became clear to me that while this was a weird desire, that didn't make it wrong. I spent a good while in grudging self-acceptance where I knew it wasn't awful but it was still enough of a practical irritant that I wished it was gone. It took making ABDL friends, first online and then in the real world to get me to see that it could also be a positive thing.

Keep trying. Loving yourself and your harmless quirks is so much better than the alternative.

For me it was time and not isolating myself.
The strongest guilt and shame would occur post masturbation for the longest time with me, I would be repulsed afterwards and all kinds of thoughts would race through my head.
Luckily, I slowly accepted myself for loving diapers, and developed a little side to (met and made a ton of friends over the years) and being able to meet & communicate with them helped me immensely. My shame and guilt has gone away, and now I genuinely enjoy everything to do with it.
I've actually just met a woman that loves the fact that I wear diapers (for fun) she's overly supportive (its her kink, guys that wear diapers) so that has helps tons with self-esteem.

pampers4U said:
I've actually just met a woman that loves the fact that I wear diapers (for fun) she's overly supportive (its her kink, guys that wear diapers) so that has helps tons with self-esteem.

Wow, you are incredibly lucky!! And I've thought about this before - I believe there are more diaper girls out there than we are seeing right now. I think the stigma is making it much more difficult for women to come out with their kink. Hopefully in time, it will be easier for them to come out with it. Congrats on finding such an incredible woman!

pampers4U said:
I've actually just met a woman that loves the fact that I wear diapers (for fun) she's overly supportive (its her kink, guys that wear diapers)

That's what I'd call winning the jackpot at the lottery!

It was the "coming out" and complete acceptance by somebody else. It was the realization through this community that there are allot of people out there just like me. Some with more problems and some with less, but that I am not alone. So I can say I no longer have the guilt and shame that I once felt.

It does not mean that I am not afraid of others finding out, because despite my discretion with my AB habits, it could always happen. What I am afraid of is people will just not understand, not initially anyways. I hold a position of high responsibility, a highly compensated professional. My employer, my co-workers just wouldn't get it. That is my concern.

God willing I will be retired before this cat ever gets out of the bag. And then I wont care.

But ACCEPTANCE by my significant other was the key for the purging of the guilt and shame.

Everyone here takes it for granted, but long before the internet the turning point for me was finding and communicating with other likeminded folks.

I just kinda thought to myself:

“Honestly, fuck it. I’m not doing drugs (anymore) and I’m not hurting anyone and I’m doing good in life. It’s okay to be weird because what do I want to be normal for? That’s overrated and boring. They’re cute as fuck comfortable as hell and they smell good and I can use it whenever and wherever I want!”

(Apologies, what happens inside my brain is often times swamped with profanity)

Tickle said:
Hi. I used to be embrassed but now I wear my nappies in public under a dress. Every can see them. I get people to change me in public so everyone knows I wear nappies. I wear them 24/7 and I love them. Sometimes I take them off and wet my pants in public to. People are accepting and even help me change my nappy. I'm a girl and love showing people my nappy to anyone that asks.

Strangers change your diapers? Wow! Aren't you the lucky one! Where do you live? I want to live in a place where I can do that, too!

Scaramouche said:
Strangers change your diapers? Wow! Aren't you the lucky one! Where do you live? I want to live in a place where I can do that, too!

Something tells me that one's not going to be here long enough to answer

Well here's my story:

Coming to the realization that I was a DL took many years. I was married (thankfully divorced now). Marriage was hugely stressful, living in a rural area on the other side of the world from all my friends and family. There was no one to confide in except my then-wife (and she wasn't always that understanding). She was older, with a child from a previous marriage. I remember becoming interested in what the heck female pads were, after having had an aversion to them for my whole adult life (it's a guy thing, we can be squeamish....). It took a long time, but the sequence of events was sort of like a "desensitization" of sorts. First I just looked at a packet of my wifes pads, sitting there in the basket in the bathroom. I felt guilty, shameful, as if I was about to be caught. I had no idea why I felt that way. I hated it, and secretly loved it at the same time, they were feelings I had never really had, or allowed myself to feel.

Then, after many weeks of just looking each time I went to the toilet, trying to work out what the heck was wrong with me, I furtively looked at the (locked) door in case she came through (weird what our brains make up), and picked up the packet just to feel it and look closer. It crinkled, and I dropped it, turned red, panicked, held my breath in case I had just been rumbled, then as quietly as possible, replaced it in *exactly* the position it had been in, flushed and tried to calm my shaking hands.

Well, that put me off for a little while, it was way too intense, I thought my head was exploding.

But fast forward a few more weeks, and it started again. Then when I had worked out how to not make the packet crinkle, it became more regular, and finally after a few months, when my wife was out, I opened a single pad, just to study it. It didn't bite me or kill me, which I guess I found surprising, haha. But now I had a new problem! How the heck would I hide this from my wife? She would obviously find out that there was an unused pad just sitting there, or in the bin, or wherever, and she'd confront me, and my life would be over....my mind was in overdrive again. I managed to stuff it down the bottom of the almost full kitchen garbage, inside an empty biscuit packet, and I prayed for her not to find it and confront me.

And fast forward a year. I was now fairly comfortable holding unused, open pads, and was considering what they felt like to wear. I mean, were they uncomfortable? My wife had complained about that sometimes, something which I really didn't want to hear or think about, thank you very much. But nevertheless, was she right, or just making it up? I had to wait a few more weeks for her to leave the house for any length of time, but I seized the opportunity when it came. I waited for the car to become a distant sound....I waited in case she had forgotten something and came back....I waited....I waited.....finally, after half an hour, I knew she wasn't coming back, so I dove right into the bathroom, ripped open a pad, pulled my trousers and underwear down, and tried to work out how these things stuck.

I kept looking round at the bathroom walls and door, it felt like the whole world was watching me, I wanted to bail so hard, yet I was magnetically drawn to completing this task. I felt weird, I wasn't female, yet I was doing something that literally only females do, and even then, only because they have no other options, they have to! I was choosing to do this! I didn't understand myself, I felt embarrassed, shameful, guilty, sad, perhaps I had truly gone mad?

And so it went on, bit by bit, every few weeks there would be another single episode to add to the one before it. It really did take a long time, years in fact. I was a normal guy, living a normal (but stressful) life, and just occasionally, I'd be gripped by this desire to "find out more". And when I did, each time I did, my head would nearly explode, I would be left shaking, full of weird emotions I didn't understand, thinking I was crazy, and it would put me off it for weeks.

Then I remember one time when I wondered how those pads absorbed....erm....stuff? I didn't really want to know. But I did. But I didn't. But I did. Were they like a sponge? Or a dishcloth? Did they get wet and stay wet? Or what? And again, I had to wait. And wait. Until the next chance... And the next chance came some time later, but I took it. I did the same as before, furtively waiting for the sound of the car to fade, waiting, waiting, waiting, trying to distract myself with chores, until the half-an-hour was up. I dove into the bathroom again, got one out, and wondered what the heck to do? Should I put it under the tap? Or get a cup of water? Or.....no.....I didn't just think that......I didn't.....did I.....? Pee? NO. That's too far. That's stupid. Put it away, you really are crazy now. That's it, throw it away, go and mend the fence. YOU DIDN'T THINK THAT.

I threw it away. I was disgusted with myself. I hated how crazy I thought I was becoming. I was a normal guy. Why was I having abnormal thoughts?? This was NOT normal behaviour, and I felt like my entire upbringing was all for nothing. I was letting my family down, my friends, any higher being that might have been looking down benevolently on me.

But I couldn't shake that thought.

And so it went on like this. Until one time I plucked up the courage to pee on a pad just a tiny bit, watching what happened. The few drops of pale yellow liquid disappeared into the pad, staining it in a patch, moving up and down the length of it, more than it did sideways. Wow, that was interesting! I had had no idea that these things were designed so well! Ingenious! Man, that deserves some special attention now. I wonder how much it can hold?

And on it went. I worked out (at a particularly inconvenient moment, and in the worst possible way) that pads didn't hold very much at all. FUCK. How the heck am I going to clean the bathroom floor without being noticed??????? Now my pants are wet too!! SHIT SHIT SHIT.....SHE'S IN THE OTHER ROOM!!!!!

Yeah. Until I wondered what sort of products DID hold more than a pad. I knew that there were different sizes of pad, so what was the biggest? Next time I was in the supermarket, I thought, I'll take a quick peek at that aisle to see....(which blew my head just as much as the very first time I held a pad, since now it was in public, and strangers could see me looking at the shelves of pads, so they'll automatically know my entire history, how deranged I am, that I'm a pedophile (obviously there's a proven connection between pads and pedophilia, well done brain), a mass murderer, probably Hitler, and they'll......look at me disapprovingly!!! ;-) Wowee, my brain loves to wind me up.

I came to the conclusion that adult diapers were.....a thing.....and probably had been designed for exactly my sort of predicament - stopping too much....liquid.....from hitting the floor while your wife is in the next room. Thank god there were clever people on this planet!

But it took for ever to work out a time and place to actually buy a packet. I had to work out - where - it was important that it was somewhere I didn't go very often, so that no one would recognise me afterwards, then - when - the wife had to be out of town (which never happened), then - how I would hide them from her - fuck, this was almost too much effort.

I knew I was highly interested though. I couldn't shake the thought, and the emotions kept blowing my mind, each time I thought about it.

That first time I put the diapers on the conveyor, trying desperately not to look the cashier in the eye. But she looked at them, looked at me, looked at them, looked at me, looked at them, slowly lifted her head, eyes wide open in some kind of realization, and just looked at me, eyes popping out of her head.... I honestly nearly died that day.

How did I deal with the emotions? The shame, guilt, excitement, horror, sadness at myself, embarrassment of telling my current girlfriend (it's now a long time after the divorce)?

I'm still dealing with them now, 14 years after I first looked at that pad. My current girlfriend has helped enormously, she was absolutely cool when I told her I wore diapers occasionally. She gave me a hug and said that it was a part of me, and that she loved me for who I am. I couldn't have asked for anything more. She's a keeper. My ex-wife was NOT so understanding, I had broached the topic, but never actually shown her anything - she never had any evidence - but that didn't stop her from bringing it up in court when we divorced. She told the lawyers the most horrible stuff, which I still haven't really forgiven her for.

Yeah, so it's a daily struggle. I haven't quite figured out why I'm this way, but I'm very glad that there are other really nice people who also share this personal oddity. Thank you everyone reading this for being you, for being cool. I've actually met some DLs in real life, and the vast majority of them have been super lovely people. So thank you! You guys rock for being open and accepting.

I'm not a psychologist, but I do wonder if I am just deeply ashamed of who I am, period. The DL bit is a fascinating way of getting in touch with that part of me, and I while I still harbour thoughts of giving it all up to "become normal again", that hasn't happened, and every time I try, I cave pretty quickly.

So yeah.

I believe it mostly boils down to our trying to conform with what "normal" society says we should be like. We obviously do not fit their description, and struggle with wanting, liking, loving, or even just being turned on by diapers in spite of being led to believe we shouldn't.

That causes our internal conflict which leads to our feeling guilty and ashamed. Those feelings then lead us to try and purge diapers from our lives in order to conform. Except that never works, and eventually we are drawn back to diapers (often so much we binge on them). And the cycle continues.

Breaking that cycle of guilty self loathing is as easily said as you just have to stop caring what "normal" society thinks of us, how we should act, and what we should like. Be yourself, and accept yourself for the ab, dl, or sd that you are. Of course, that's easier said than done.

So to start I think it is worth defining guilt and shame, the dictionary often blends the two meaning. Even in psychology we often try to over-define both. It wasn't until I got into volunteering my time with recovering veterans that I heard it boiled down to a definition I rather like.

-Guilt is what we feel when I have DONE something wrong.
-Shame is when we feel I am what is wrong.

So, this is where I am writing from.

Now, to put it frankly I fit the bill for a high-risk assessment based on the Adverse Childhood Experiences, which is a fancy way of saying I didn't have a great childhood. Crappy life aside most of my life was planned and I didn't have much choice or control over my day-to-day until I moved out. So diapers were a three-fold outlet for me, a way to rebel, a way to gain some control (albeit by giving up control), and a way to exercise choice. Now, back when I first started I can't that I felt particularly guilty or ashamed of wearing diapers.

Once I got caught the shame I felt when my Dad would sit me down and try to talk me out of wearing, even going as far as to send me to a psych to "fix the problem" of course I didn't see it as a problem and I certainly didn't feel safe talking to some random stranger about the issues in my life as a teenager. I suppose if anything I was feeling shamed by my parents and took that upon myself. I can't say that I ever felt guilty of wearing though I was always walking that line of dread and excitement of being caught again. If for no other reason than to prove to my parents that despite everything they had tried that they couldn't control every aspect of my life.

I suppose if I had to associate a specific negative emotion with wearing it would be fear. Specifically a fear of being judged by others which can be tied to the childhood and teenage shaming and the additional crap I had to deal with because of it. Which is easily the biggest reason I stay out of mainstream dating and stick to the kink world.

As for how did I deal with, in my case, shame. As I mentioned it still effects me in the dating realm. This doesn't go into the fact that post-military I spent 2 years of my own accord doing recovery work to address my PTSD and during that time I worked through a lot of my childhood issues as well. To be honest, at the end of the day my diaper use started from a dare and then it turned into a way to rebel and feel like I had a choice.

So that is my story, now I dare say that we all have different reasons for getting into diapers so ultimately our emotional ties to them are all going to be different. In the case of guilt and shame, being honest with yourself as to the reasons behind the emotions is a great starting point. Beyond that, it depends on the circumstances and beliefs that drive those emotions as to how you deal with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back