Saw an owl tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elenwen

Est. Contributor
My mom and I went to our local park late in the evening and I heard that high-pitched bird cry, went to investigate and found a little owl, slightly larger, than my palm, sitting only about two meters above myself. There was another one around, too, but it was hidden in the leaves.

I think it wasn't a full-grown owl, though, but a baby owl or something, because, even though I could hardly see in the dark, it seemed a bit fluffy and had white or light-grey feathers and it's "ears" were also fluffy...

It's almost a miracle — to see a real owl so close, and in the middle of a large city, too...

Last edited:
Super cute... Maybe it had your Hogwarts letter and was just waiting for your mom to turn around so it could deliver it :)

I've seen a few owls over the years and the experience is always incredible. I love owls.

We get to see the occasional Tawny Frogmouth (I know they aren’t really an owl but they are owl like :) )

Oddly enough, I've never seen an owl in the wild before, but apparently they're quite common all over Canada. Then again, I hear they mostly frequent rural areas and I'm a city boy.

I saw some other winged creatures earlier this evening though. Me and a few friends went walking by a park right around dusk and there were bats very visibly flying and chirping at one another just above some tall and full trees. One of my friends got spooked, but I happen to like all types of critters so I wasn't alarmed. Conversely, Bats unlike Owls are supposedly quite rare throughout Canada, at least in the big cities anyway, so I'm surprised I managed to glimpse some of them in such a small park and yet, I've never seen an owl.

Argent said:
Super cute... Maybe it had your Hogwarts letter and was just waiting for your mom to turn around so it could deliver it :)
Well, then it should have been looking for me, not vice versa. Still, it was a great experience...

Poofybutt said:
Oddly enough, I've never seen an owl in the wild before, but apparently they're quite common all over Canada. Then again, I hear they mostly frequent rural areas and I'm a city boy.

I saw some other winged creatures earlier this evening though. Me and a few friends went walking by a park right around dusk and there were bats very visibly flying and chirping at one another just above some tall and full trees. One of my friends got spooked, but I happen to like all types of critters so I wasn't alarmed. Conversely, Bats unlike Owls are supposedly quite rare throughout Canada, at least in the big cities anyway, so I'm surprised I managed to glimpse some of them in such a small park and yet, I've never seen an owl.
I've also seen bats, they are quite common in that park I often go to. They hunt for food over a pond and can be clearly seen against the sky.

OOOO! <3 My mom and her friend had an owl swoop right over the windshield of the car they were driving it. He almost got hit, but he was fine. Scared the pants off of them, though. I've also been lucky enough to spot the one that lives in our woods. He was up in a tree and if he hadn't been looking at me or making noise, I would have walked right under him and never seen him. His big old eyes are what let me pick him out. XD

I work at night, so when I come home I get to see if there is any nocturnal wildlife around. I've seen three red foxes and a gray fox (!), a bunch of raccoons, opossums and skunks, a few deer (one stood in the middle of the road while I sat there stopped like "Would you please move it on over to the side?" XD) and lots of turtles and frogs. Saw a snake once, too, but that was during the drive to work when it was still daylight. He was really wiggling to get over the road, so I stopped and let him slither off the other side. A lot of people would have hit him on purpose, but he wasn't doing any harm.

I like to go out at my last break at work and look for bats. There are security lights outside by our smoking area and the bats like to swoop around close to nab the insects. A lot of the other people I work with are freaked out by them, but I assured them that the bats would never come to bite them.

We have a lot of raptor birds, owls, hawks, the occasion bald eagle, a few of the spotted eagles (wambli greshkre in Lakota) and of course bats. And that's just in town. We also have year-round some Canada geese. Their migration patterns are sort of messed up because the town was built in the middle of THEIR road. And the town gives them food (trash cans) so some stay all year. Violent little bass terds, they are. You see a gaggle of them walking toward you in a V formation, and you might think they're begging food. They're NOT. It's a crime in progress. "We know youse has the goodies, hand it over and nobody gets hurt." Owls don't come around people much because we scare the mice into hiding...

Bats, now, my wife and I were out in the front yard in El Paso Texas and she was afraid of bats, until I told her to look up, and every time they do a vertical dive another mosquito just got eaten. A lot of people don't like bats but absolutely NOBODY likes mosquitoes. Native people see raptor birds "wambli" as magic because they connect the earth to the sky. To see one up close is a blessing.

They are very common around here (PDX). the last house that we rented had an old barn and there was several habitat houses for Barn owls. They did go there but at night (From about 1 hour after sundown) they would come out into the cedar trees just outside of our bedroom window. They do not hoot they are in the class of "stretch" owls. It was like having cats "yowling" for three to five hours.

Pretty birds but damn annoying.

P.S. We had Palled bats on our back porch when we lived on the Hopi Indian reservation and they are not quiet either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back