Not open for further replies.

KimbaFoxNatsume

Pokemon Trainer in, err, Training... Pants
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I went in looking for a pair of pajama pants. Instead I come out with a Boston terrier shirt, a Build-a-Bear Chase plushie, and a baby Pua from Moana plushie. I'm in love with this Pua.

IMG_20180622_144540_2.jpg

I cannot go into a thrift store without coming home with at least another 3 kids books. Flea markets are my favorite though. People just want to get rid of the stuff so they are willing to take pennies on the dollar. Went with my grandfather-in-law before he passed away and he bought me a 3 foot tall stuffed strawberry shortcake for $0.50.

Chase was missing his pup tag, so I printed him out a new one on a Christmas card.

IMG_20180623_112928_2.jpg

Chase is $28 on Build-a-Bear's website, but he was $4.99 at the thrift store. Pua is shown at $26.99 on Disney's website, but I found him for $3.99.

Thrift stores are pretty great. I've found a lot of nice baby toys at local thrift stores, though my thrift stores stuffed animal selection leaves much to be desired. That being said, I have even heard of AB/DL's finding premium diapers at thrift shops and in rarer circumstances, even pieces of little clothing that some unfortunate AB purged. I have a friend who found an ABU diapersuit at a thrift shop.

While you can always bank on finding a nice little item at a thrift shop, I think places with more people, bigger cities and especially places in the US, have thrift shops that tend to have a wider selection.

Some lucky person had all of my nappies (5 cases of them), when I moved back to England from Finland! 😢

Marting said:
Some lucky person had all of my nappies (5 cases of them), when I moved back to England from Finland! ��

Oh wow! :O I just noticed that you lived in Finland! I dunno if we ever met each other tho :p What nappies those were? :)

Mainly tena's flexis and slip ultimas. Also some bedwetting liberos and drynites for teenagers. Luckily nappies are a lot cheaper in uk than finland lol

I get mine at the ARC or Goodwill and once I find where they moved the store the DAV (for people living outside the U.S. Association (for) Retarded Citizens --they named it a long time ago, forgive them-- and Disabled American Veterans thrift stores) and the first place I look is a thrift store. Usually I never buy new. And I ALWAYS look for them when I do Thrift Store cruising. My personal one-stop score was a few years back, Two full bags of Molicares AND a one-piece footie pajamas. For less than ten bucks. Getting like that makes me feel all happy for days on end.

I haven't been to the local Goodwill in a while. But sometimes I find awesome things there. Lately they've been making me mad at them because they decided to have a 'vintage' section, but half of the things they think are super-old-and-worth-a-lot-of-money are reproductions. They had a re-released Fisher Price record player, I thought it was the old style and got excited (I would have paid the $12!) but no. I told them:

"It's not old. It was just released about a year ago."
"What? How do you know?"
"The original didn't rely on batteries. You can buy this brand new for $20 at Wal-mart right up the road."

I have no idea what they did with it, but I didn't purchase it.

And in the realm of irony, I also bought a tiny little teddy bear with a VW tag on his chest for less that a quarter. Because I saw a button in his ear and knew what it meant. Turns out he's worth about $80. (Although I would never ever sell him. XD I put him in the 'special bear' cabinet with a little VW bug Hot Wheel. 'Special Bears' don't come down to play, they just like to watch over everything and make sure it's going well. :3)

CuddleWoozle said:
I haven't been to the local Goodwill in a while. But sometimes I find awesome things there. Lately they've been making me mad at them because they decided to have a 'vintage' section, but half of the things they think are super-old-and-worth-a-lot-of-money are reproductions. They had a re-released Fisher Price record player, I thought it was the old style and got excited (I would have paid the $12!) but no. I told them:

"It's not old. It was just released about a year ago."
"What? How do you know?"
"The original didn't rely on batteries. You can buy this brand new for $20 at Wal-mart right up the road."

I have no idea what they did with it, but I didn't purchase it.

And in the realm of irony, I also bought a tiny little teddy bear with a VW tag on his chest for less that a quarter. Because I saw a button in his ear and knew what it meant. Turns out he's worth about $80. (Although I would never ever sell him. XD I put him in the 'special bear' cabinet with a little VW bug Hot Wheel. 'Special Bears' don't come down to play, they just like to watch over everything and make sure it's going well. :3)

Yeah, the thrift stores around here tend to get a little carried away with their prices sometimes. I mean, I'm not going to buy a used article of clothing if it's only a couple more bucks brand-new. $4.99 for a plushie at a thrift store would normally be a bit high to me, but it was Chase and I've never had a Build-a-Bear stuffed animal before. (I had to borrow money from my mom that day, I couldn't pass him or Pua up.)

Yesterday I discovered there is something inside one of Chase's paws. It doesn't feel shaped like the heart they put in at Build-a-Bear, so I figure it must either be a sound box (that's no longer working) or a personal item his maker wanted to put inside. Mysterious!

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
Yesterday I discovered there is something inside one of Chase's paws. It doesn't feel shaped like the heart they put in at Build-a-Bear, so I figure it must either be a sound box (that's no longer working) or a personal item his maker wanted to put inside. Mysterious!

They did have specialized sound boxes to put in them, so it's possible. Only one way to find out for sure, though, and that would be to open him up and see what it is.

The heart always seems to go in last at the top of the fluff in the back. At least that's where I've always put it at the BAB I go to.

CuddleWoozle said:
They did have specialized sound boxes to put in them, so it's possible. Only one way to find out for sure, though, and that would be to open him up and see what it is.

The heart always seems to go in last at the top of the fluff in the back. At least that's where I've always put it at the BAB I go to.

I've never actually been to Build-a-Bear, although I've been to one or two malls with one. I always wanted to go as a kid, but after my first-cousin-once-removed went and I found out how expensive it was, my hopes were dashed. So Chase is my first plushie from there.

One of the local grocery stores once had a knock-off bear-building station set up. I went to check it out but passed on making anything. I don't think it lasted very long.

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
I've never actually been to Build-a-Bear, although I've been to one or two malls with one. I always wanted to go as a kid, but after my first-cousin-once-removed went and I found out how expensive it was, my hopes were dashed. So Chase is my first plushie from there.

One of the local grocery stores once had a knock-off bear-building station set up. I went to check it out but passed on making anything. I don't think it lasted very long.

If you ever do want to go, know that they have sales and some of the plushies are only about $12-15 regularly. The clothing though, that will add up FAST.

A lot of people don't know it, but you can usually get them unstuffed online and take them to the store to do the "Stuffing Ritual". :3

And I mention this because they're having a Teddy Bear Picnic flash sale. This guy is only $10. https://www.buildabear.com/lil'-cub-hazelnut/023341.html?cgid=stuffed-animals

Aww what adorable finds :eek: Lucky

Yeah, it was on my local news about the crazy lines that formed at malls for the pay-your-age promotion and how they had to cut it off.

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
Yeah, it was on my local news about the crazy lines that formed at malls for the pay-your-age promotion and how they had to cut it off.

I thought that would end in trouble. Even if it's only for 'club members' there are SO FREAKING MANY OF THEM. XD

Not sure who had the idea, but they really didn't think it through.

So I was on eBay tonight and saw a voice box for Chase, and the way it is shaped definitely feels like that's what's inside his paw.

Like I said, it doesn't work, but I'm still loving him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back