The wife and I are buying our first home!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravensteel

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Topic title says it all, but we are finally buying our first home. We have rented the house we are in for three years and while we like it, we just want something to be our own. We are a small family if three so we are not moving into a mansion, but we are really excited about the house. Anyone have any first-time home buyer knowledge you would like to pass on?

Congratulations!

The good news you have already been living in a house so you have such things as cleaning supplies already. I went from my parents' house directly to my own and had to buy all that. In time, I also bought my own washer and dryer. It seemed like the spending would never end! (it doesn't).

First, get many, many boxes and start packing!

My advice is, if you can, while things are mostly still in boxes, or even before you move in, do any painting you want to do. This will eliminate moving furniture and stuff around later. If you haven't already, make sure someone goes through the house like a realtor or home inspector and check for EVEYRHING! Make sure toilets flush, faucets don't drip, all outlets work and make sure there are no past or present evidence of termites, birds or mice. They can really do the damage! Hire an exterminator if needed. Some will come on a regular basis if you want.

I'll add on as I think of other things and I'm sure others will chime in. Have fun!

Yes, the home inspection is important. The most important element is having a sound foundation. When my wife and I were first married, we bought our first house, a two story frame, two bedroom, one bathroom house, and we were delighted to have our own place. For us, it was a great house to get our lives started. If I could only go back in time to that place in our life.

We didn't have much money, so all the repairs and improvements I did with some help from my father-in-law. They lived next door.

No home buyer knowledge... yet. I've been living in apartments of my own for a while, but it is definitely the dream to have a house of my own and more space for things like diapers and possibly, a nursery down the line.

Out of curiosity, any plans to set aside a room or a space for a nursery or the baby stuff?

Just wondering, probably not as you expressed that it's a smaller house, but I know if I had a house, regardless of the size, I'd certainly have a nice little room set aside for my AB/Little supplies.

In any event, congratulations, having your own house is a big step forward. I hope you enjoy your new home and that you and your family can form some happy memories there :)

dogboy said:
Yes, the home inspection is important. The most important element is having a sound foundation. When my wife and I were first married, we bought our first house, a two story frame, two bedroom, one bathroom house, and we were delighted to have our own place. For us, it was a great house to get our lives started. If I could only go back in time to that place in our life.

We didn't have much money, so all the repairs and improvements I did with some help from my father-in-law. They lived next door.

We have our inspection next week so fingers crossed everything goes well. I am not a handyman at all. One of the things that attracted us to this house is that it is move-in ready and was recently remodeled. Hopefully we won't see any problems that will have to be dealt with. Really don't want to sink a lot of money into fixing something up.

- - - Updated - - -

Poofybutt said:
No home buyer knowledge... yet. I've been living in apartments of my own for a while, but it is definitely the dream to have a house of my own and more space for things like diapers and possibly, a nursery down the line.

Out of curiosity, any plans to set aside a room or a space for a nursery or the baby stuff?

Just wondering, probably not as you expressed that it's a smaller house, but I know if I had a house, regardless of the size, I'd certainly have a nice little room set aside for my AB/Little supplies.

In any event, congratulations, having your own house is a big step forward. I hope you enjoy your new home and that you and your family can form some happy memories there :)

The house has a completely finished basement that will essentially be my hangout room. All of my things my wife doesn't want around the house will live there that will include my all my AB/DL stuff. My wife could care less about my AB/DL side, but she rightfully doesn't want it advertised for anyone that walks into the house. I will also have to be mindful of my son as he kids bigger. He is about to turn one now, so I don't don't bother hiding my things. When he gets older though I'll have to be secretive about it. Not looking forward to hiding my AB/DL side at my own house, but that's part of it I suppose when you have kids lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Scaramouche said:
Congratulations!

The good news you have already been living in a house so you have such things as cleaning supplies already. I went from my parents' house directly to my own and had to buy all that. In time, I also bought my own washer and dryer. It seemed like the spending would never end! (it doesn't).

First, get many, many boxes and start packing!

My advice is, if you can, while things are mostly still in boxes, or even before you move in, do any painting you want to do. This will eliminate moving furniture and stuff around later. If you haven't already, make sure someone goes through the house like a realtor or home inspector and check for EVEYRHING! Make sure toilets flush, faucets don't drip, all outlets work and make sure there are no past or present evidence of termites, birds or mice. They can really do the damage! Hire an exterminator if needed. Some will come on a regular basis if you want.

I'll add on as I think of other things and I'm sure others will chime in. Have fun!

Thank you! Yeah I'm really not looking forward to packing all my things up. I own around 2000 dvds and several hundred books so packing is terrible lol.

Congrats, this is excellent news :)

Takes a long long time to pack, just remember to write on your boxes so you know where to put them.

You need to watch this movie. Before you buy a house it's a comedy. Afterwards, it's a horror pic.
[video=youtube;TLLQquBdU8M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLLQquBdU8M[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back