Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Sissy
  5. Little
Hey everyone,

I have a nasty issue where I keep having to get a new mattress every now and than for the obvious reason that it goes yellow... In any case, I am looking for a fix for that. I sleep in a queen size bed and was looking for a solution, do any of you have a solution?

Kind regards,

Fox

You can buy fabric from Babykins by the yard,it feels like an old loved t shirt to me now, but it has a waterproof membrane in the middle , most people have no idea it's there ,just feels like a nice luxurious sheet ,for queen size you may have sew additional fabric to sides to tuck in under mattress .
I have a double complex rehab bed ,that regular sheets don't fit because it has a wide padded bumper around the mattress and it covers that with room to spare so it might do a queen, the average bed mattress I believe is about 84" long that's not a issue you can get it as long as you need .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I have an... not sure how it is called in English... "undersheet", that is waterproof and yet soft and feels like thick tough cloth and is like a sack (?) into which a mattress is put. So if I leak at night, only sheets have to be washed, the mattress is undamaged...

Last edited:
there are plenty of waterproof matress covers out there, even Walmart has them

Mattress cover. They zip on and protect the mattress from liquids, dust, and bugs. They're available in Walmart and mattress stores. Also, mattress pads to put underneath you. They make disposable ones, but I recommend investing in a few washable ones.

I have a large rubberized sheet to put down over the mattress, and under the bedsheet.

Get some washable bed pads the larger the better and try Better dry or crinklz diapers they work great for me and I leak less offten. One nice thing about having multiple bed pads is thst you can quickly change them with out having to change the sheets it will also extend the life of your full matress protector

I have always used a water proof Mattress cover because it keeps bugs out of the Mattress. if you live in a apartment all it takes is one neighbor getting bedbugs and they can go through the whole complex.
plus everyone has dust mites in there mattresses

Estimates as to how many dust mites actually live in an average mattress vary wildly from 10'000 to over a million.

By putting a Mattress Cover on it cuts off there food supply of skin cells and body oils.

i live in the calif desert and we have one more way of killing dust mites and bed bugs as they die at temperatures above 140 degrees.

We just wrap our mattresses in black plastic and put the out in the sun on a day with 100 degree plus temperatures and let them bake.

I use a fitted plastic sheet. I used to use a rubber sheet that I actually prefered but changed to a fitted plastic sheet a few years ago. They need to be replaced every so often because the plastic gets brittle and cracks and they can yellow too. I was it down with a mild dish detergent which I believe is best for maintenance.

mikesecret said:
I use a fitted plastic sheet. I used to use a rubber sheet that I actually prefered but changed to a fitted plastic sheet a few years ago. They need to be replaced every so often because the plastic gets brittle and cracks and they can yellow too. I was it down with a mild dish detergent which I believe is best for maintenance.

So why the change to plastic?

WBxx said:
So why the change to plastic?

Because when I first changed to plastic I didnt know how to get a rubber sheet like I used when living at my parents home. I wrecked a mattress from bedwetting at the first place I lived on my own. The landlady replaced the mattress with another one and gave me a plastic cover and said I could find them at department stores. So thats where I went to find them after that and Ive used them ever since. Now I get them at a medical supply place and I think I could also buy a rubber sheet there but it would be more expensive although probably last longer.

Yes rubber sheets are a little more expensive but when the two are compared they are pretty comparable, it comes down to personal choice .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Get a waterproof mattress encasement and then get a waterproof mattress pad. You will almost always be able to just wash the pad, but also you get double protection because the mattress pads could allow some liquids at the edges. Also useful if you have cats with claws as they will cause some pinholes over time but usually the holes aren't going to go through the second layer.

Ok, thanks for the many replies! I will have a look around :)

Tip for the day: For anyone with a plastic sheet on their bed, in my experience occasionally rotating the sheet will significantly extend its life. Expect the same holds true for rubber sheets, but failure doesn’t seem to be an issue with them.

Elenwen said:
I have an... not sure how it is called in English... "undersheet", that is waterproof and yet soft and feels like thick tough cloth and is like a sack (?) into which a mattress is put. So if I leak at night, only sheets have to be washed, the mattress is undamaged...

In the UK the most popuar bed pad's are made by Kylie. They are brilliant and soak up a lot of urine before you feel uncomfortable.

ST50 said:
In the UK the most popuar bed pad's are made by Kylie. They are brilliant and soak up a lot of urine before you feel uncomfortable.
I see... But I wasn't talking about a bed pad. I think it's called mattress cover, the thing I have. It's like rubber or silicone or something like that, and has a soft, velvet-like dusting on the outer side.

Maybe one more think: Check that say are breathable. Rubber and "plastic" are not the best materials - PU is much better. Also it's probably a good idea to use a mattress protector that covers the complete mattress. I personally use also a protection for the blanked. I don't wear diapers every night, because normally I don't have that many accidens. How ever from time to time it happens that I wet the bed - and the the blanked protection helps a lot, because otherwise you would have to change the blanked also if it happens...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back