Tykables Chicago Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scamander14

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
So, I collect Transformers and there is a big convention in Chicago called TF-Con. Tykables Chicago store is 25 minutes away from the venue. I was thinking I would stay in that town and drive to the convention, TF-Con. Should I do it?

Why not?

I did this last year with an anime convention during July. Took some time to find the store, it was actually awesome, despite being in their low stock phase of much things. The people there were cool, in within five minutes, without me having to say much, already had a onesie picked out for me. It went something like this.

I was kinda hiding behind daddy, cause kinda shy bab, they guessed I wanted to pink one, and that I wanted the butterfly print. Printed it up, talked for about a good thirty minutes. Funs was had. The second trip there, I spotted a pack of their medium overnights. Daddy was cruel, made me pony up and blushy by making me ask about them. Unfortunately, they were for someone else, but we still left the store again with more onesies. We were asked about the theme of the store a few times, opinions on a few products, and I d'awwwed at the rocking horse they had.

All in all it was a fun time, and I am wanting to go back again. Everyone was friendly and helpful. You can tell they have pride in their product and brand, which I think is key to making it such a positive experience. Just be careful you don't drive past, cause like I said... Chicago.

The other thing to keep in mind about locating the Tykables store is there are pretty much zero outside indicators. The only sign I can recall was small and on the door, couldn't see it all while driving.

Traemo said:
The other thing to keep in mind about locating the Tykables store is there are pretty much zero outside indicators. The only sign I can recall was small and on the door, couldn't see it all while driving.

Well, they make sure to try to stay low profile and I remember when they had just opened and people in the area had found out what kind of store it was they assumed the worst and made a big deal out of it on TV ; talk about overreacting considering you couldn't even see in the store (so it would be discrete)

I am autistic so, I might go down a day before the convention actually starts to I can rest. This would be my first road trip by myself.
NeverKnow said:
Makes sense. Just make sure to account for commuter traffic if you're going to be driving into or out of Chicago during rush hour... 25 mins without traffic can be quite a lot more with, depending on where your convention is. And know when you're going to steal away during the business day to Tykables. (Though I think they might be able to open up by appointment on Saturdays?)

- - - Updated - - -

It’s great to hear that the service is good. I’m happy you have someone who went with you. I might call them; maybe email. I think email might be more secure.

Azie said:
I did this last year with an anime convention during July. Took some time to find the store, it was actually awesome, despite being in their low stock phase of much things. The people there were cool, in within five minutes, without me having to say much, already had a onesie picked out for me. It went something like this.

I was kinda hiding behind daddy, cause kinda shy bab, they guessed I wanted to pink one, and that I wanted the butterfly print. Printed it up, talked for about a good thirty minutes. Funs was had. The second trip there, I spotted a pack of their medium overnights. Daddy was cruel, made me pony up and blushy by making me ask about them. Unfortunately, they were for someone else, but we still left the store again with more onesies. We were asked about the theme of the store a few times, opinions on a few products, and I d'awwwed at the rocking horse they had.

All in all it was a fun time, and I am wanting to go back again. Everyone was friendly and helpful. You can tell they have pride in their product and brand, which I think is key to making it such a positive experience. Just be careful you don't drive past, cause like I said... Chicago.

I saw the TV about the store. I can't see why anyone made a big deal about it. If you don't want their merchandise, don't go there.

woodenpotty said:
I saw the TV about the store. I can't see why anyone made a big deal about it. If you don't want their merchandise, don't go there.

Exactly, just like you don't go into an Adult Video store if you don't want to rent such videos; I never understood why people are so vocal about how wrong they think things are that nobody is forcing them into; if they aren't involved they should let people do as they want (granted it's all harmless and legal).

MailCat581 said:
but the negative publicity by it being on TV and neighbors of the store threatening to videotape and defame anyone they saw go in there by posting photos and videos on the internet kind of scared me away.

None of that has ever happened.

Here's that TV spot people were talking about.

[video=youtube;5sJ-ZEQrtd0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sJ-ZEQrtd0[/video]

Exactly! Free will is a thing!

woodenpotty said:

- - - Updated - - -

I think the issue is one, there are people in power who would exploit the AB/DL community; two, people hate that this ‘trash’ is on the news. But then, it’s marketing. I mean, Barnam and Bailey Circus went on for over 100 years because they did what no one had ever done before. Personally, I’m happy to have a chance to go. It is a dream come true.

Takashi said:

[video=youtube;5sJ-ZEQrtd0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sJ-ZEQrtd0[/video]

Takashi said:

I was specifically talking about the comment of people "videotape and defame anyone they saw go in." Our store was open for almost four months before anyone even noticed us. The true extent of everything was "I saw something I didn't like and I complained on Facebook." The meeting they had in the clip you posted is a monthly meeting Mount Prospect has every first Tuesday of the month to talk about anything, there was not a 'special meeting' or anything like that. If you watch the Mount Prospect youtube video, you can see that less than 30 people went to talk about us; more than 55k people reside in Mount Prospect. They have several clips where they show the room and it is not even half full.

We have been open for a while now, that was June of 2016 and we are now in June of 2018 and not a single customer has ever complained about anyone watching them or anything like that. Not only did nothing come from it, we actually took over the space next to us and expanded out store front late last year.

Last edited:
Likely a scare tactic to try to keep potential customers away. I'd give them an earful on how they are being ableist douchebags picking on someone with a disability. But I have a medical need and I'm also discovering my inner little.

So it's even bigger than when we came through - NICE!
Guess I'll have to haul my blushing little girl back to Chicago . . . .

I want to come and visit in this store when this babb is coming to US at somepoint for the very first time in mah life! :smile1: That rocking dinosawr would be awesome to see and test! :D Roar!!

I have decided to not plan my trip there this year.

But, you work there? If you do, that is awesome.

OR....

Was this a quote from an article?

todaler said:
I was specifically talking about the comment of people "videotape and defame anyone they saw go in." Our store was open for almost four months before anyone even noticed us. The true extent of everything was "I saw something I didn't like and I complained on Facebook." The meeting they had in the clip you posted is a monthly meeting Mount Prospect has every first Tuesday of the month to talk about anything, there was not a 'special meeting' or anything like that. If you watch the Mount Prospect youtube video, you can see that less than 30 people went to talk about us; more than 55k people reside in Mount Prospect. They have several clips where they show the room and it is not even half full.

We have been open for a while now, that was June of 2016 and we are now in June of 2018 and not a single customer has ever complained about anyone watching them or anything like that. Not only did nothing come from it, we actually took over the space next to us and expanded out store front late last year.

todaler said:
I was specifically talking about the comment of people "videotape and defame anyone they saw go in."
You know something, good for you and your employee's for working very hard. While I don't agree with everything you ever have posted (no one will because we are all different) I do like the fact that you guys over came many obstacles over the years, from having to change your company name, to extreme product shortages & over public exposure. Keep up the good work, and yes I do endorse your products, love the new diaper lines (overnights & waddlers) will forever have a spot on my diaper shelf.

Scamander14 said:
But, you work there? If you do, that is awesome.

Yup yup, I am actually one of the owners. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back