It's not easy being green

Status
Not open for further replies.
babyboy said:
Ya the ones downstairs are top loaders with a center agitator.
I am not to worried about the FEDEX or UPS, for now the places I order my diapers from ship via USPS, and the mail lady gets things right, the stuff that come from UPS and FEDEX are not embarrassing things and the few times I do order from bambinos they let you select ship to FEDEX distribution area and the closest one to me is the Walgreens across the street, plus since everyone in the building knows this happens the first thing we all do is double check the address and name and take it up on flight of stairs, I have good neighbors so (well I can not speak for the new ones that just moved in over the weekend but the other 8 apartments are all good), and since have almost filled out my cloth diaper stash, just need to hold till the 13th of next month to do my final order I don't think I have to worry to much about my diapers being found out (unless someone sneaks a peak in the washing machine while I am doing a load of diapers) Plus I would not want to get someone fire in this economy, delivery drivers may not get paid well but it still a job.

There the problem "smelled like mold" did you let water get into the safe? That could be what caused the issue, that can drastically shorten the life of paper when there is O2 around. ya once mold starts growing paper is gone fast.
No not a drop of water has entered the safe. Sadly the thing of it is the safe was in my parents home and they are north of 68 y.o & 85 y/o respectfully and somehow they think that the house has to be like a fricken swamp! you enter the home and you are instantly met with the waffe of dampness & Mold their doctor wants them to moisten the air yet both of them cannot be around mold due to lung & immunity issues go figure some doctor huh? And they listen to nonsense spewed on money saving dumbell Clark Howard and internet goofballs saying oh turn down your thermostat in the winter and raise the thermostat in the summer and you wonder why you have conditions you do! Its the mold good grief! Whom ever spews that nonsense should be given a lobotomy DANG! Anywho the safe had baking soda box in it and a decent size packet of silica salt the same ones you get in boxes of shoes to no avail... Wonders why I am starting to get airway issues now gee thanks parents!

- - - Updated - - -

CuddleWoozle said:
Turkey Leg: It's because it was dumped and buried right away; not left out in the open to deteriorate. Kind of like a grosser version of mummification. XD

I actually have a safe, and I store a collection of paper money in there and have never ever had anything like that happen. And they've been in there for years and years now.

I think perhaps something is going on with your safe. O_O Is it a big safe or one of those 'portable' ones? 'Cause that might be the difference, mine is a great big monstrosity.

Its a safe that is about 2 feet by 2 feet square its one that has a combo & key lock Sentry some four digit model number and see my comment I made above on the issues with it.

xpluswearer said:
No not a drop of water has entered the safe. Sadly the thing of it is the safe was in my parents home and they are north of 68 y.o & 85 y/o respectfully and somehow they think that the house has to be like a fricken swamp! you enter the home and you are instantly met with the waffe of dampness & Mold their doctor wants them to moisten the air yet both of them cannot be around mold due to lung & immunity issues go figure some doctor huh? And they listen to nonsense spewed on money saving dumbell Clark Howard and internet goofballs saying oh turn down your thermostat in the winter and raise the thermostat in the summer and you wonder why you have conditions you do! Its the mold good grief! Whom ever spews that nonsense should be given a lobotomy DANG! Anywho the safe had baking soda box in it and a decent size packet of silica salt the same ones you get in boxes of shoes to no avail... Wonders why I am starting to get airway issues now gee thanks parents!

- - - Updated - - -

Its a safe that is about 2 feet by 2 feet square its one that has a combo & key lock Sentry some four digit model number and see my comment I made above on the issues with it.

If their house actually smells of mold, you can bet that some of the spores got onto the paper/into the safe. They may not have remained -active- for very long once placed within, but there was likely already damage done. Just found this bit: http://library.albany.edu/libdru/files/MOLD IN THE LIBRARY 2013.pdf

When we were clearing out my grandmother's house we had to throw out so much stuff because she kept it in the basement and it was full of black mold. The worst thing we found was a plastic bottle of honey from 1977. It was just straight black, like tar. D:

Being green can be hard, but I think you have to balance things out. The best thing you can do is get rid of any cars or pets you have, use trains instead of aeroplanes, and buy locally produced food.

I don't drive, don't have pets or children, rarely fly, and never use a tumble-dryer. My loft is well-insulated, the windows double-glazed, and I use energy saving LED and CFL lightbulbs. All glass, paper, plastics, electronics, batteries, textiles, etc. are recycled, and food waste is (somehow) used to generate electricity. Only used diapers end up in landfill, although many places also process them to generate electricity.

I try to buy local organic food, but it can be so much more expensive, and sometimes you just want a cucumber in December or Brussels sprouts in June and it's hard to resist when you see them in the supermarket. :-/

I was also pescetarian for over a decade. Eating meat is incredibly damaging to the environment, but stress and illness meant I had to look after my body, so I eat meat now. *shrug*

I'm not sure I'd want to give up disposable diapers, but I don't wear that many... :sweatdrop:

- - - Updated - - -

xpluswearer said:
[M]y parents... are north of 68 y.o & 85 y/o respectfully and somehow they think that the house has to be like a fricken swamp! you enter the home and you are instantly met with the waffe of dampness & Mold their doctor wants them to moisten the air yet both of them cannot be around mold due to lung & immunity issues go figure some doctor huh?

That doesn't sound good! I don't know if it would help, but you can get cheap hygrometers to display humidity levels. The ideal range is 40% to 60%. Maybe it would help show your parents how damp the house is?

If your parents need humid air, you can get humidifiers/steamers that you put your face into and breath steam that isn't infested with mould spores.

I bought a dehumidifier to help in winter when the windows are closed and cooking, showering and drying clothes causes humidity to build up. It works incredibly well.

if you live in a climate that requires both heat and air conditioning, you get to battle humidity on two fronts. Here in Iowa in the winter, the furnace sometimes has to run a lot and that really dries out the air, so I have April Air in my furnace which humidifies the air. In the summer however, outside humidity can get really high and that makes it hard for the air conditioner to keep up. (air conditioners have two jobs - cool the air and remove water, which is what holds the heat) So I have a dehumidifier in the basement that runs whenever it needs to, usually about 30% duty cycle in the summer.

bambinod said:
if you live in a climate that requires both heat and air conditioning, you get to battle humidity on two fronts. Here in Iowa in the winter, the furnace sometimes has to run a lot and that really dries out the air, so I have April Air in my furnace which humidifies the air. In the summer however, outside humidity can get really high and that makes it hard for the air conditioner to keep up. (air conditioners have two jobs - cool the air and remove water, which is what holds the heat) So I have a dehumidifier in the basement that runs whenever it needs to, usually about 30% duty cycle in the summer.
At times in the summer here in Northern Michigan it can feel like the deep south or in the tropics kinda like breathing through a steamy hot sopping wet sponge! And in the winter the cold has a cold humidity factor to it also makes your outside walls on the inside of your home build up frost on them too. I would rather live in a nice and dry and cool 60-72 degree weather all year round. Oh how I wish I could go back to heating the house with woodstove. Instead I got wall heaters UGH. would love to put in a dehumidifier in the parents home I hate leaving the home and clothes having that smell of mustiness.

Whilst I'm not too worried about oil running out (there are plenty of plant-based oils), I do worry about the amount of plastic rubbish we're creating - and am trying to reduce my plastic waste. I'm planning to buy biodegradable wet wipes in future, and already buy biodegradable nappy bags for small pads (I've not been able to find any biodegradable large nappy bags in the UK yet). I'd like to try cloth nappies - but I'm bowel IC, and the advice I've had is don't use washable nappies (and I don't fancy cleaning them). I'd be interested in knowing how anyone else gets on with washable nappies who has bowel IC and / or messes.

Minih said:
Whilst I'm not too worried about oil running out (there are plenty of plant-based oils), I do worry about the amount of plastic rubbish we're creating - and am trying to reduce my plastic waste. I'm planning to buy biodegradable wet wipes in future, and already buy biodegradable nappy bags for small pads (I've not been able to find any biodegradable large nappy bags in the UK yet). I'd like to try cloth nappies - but I'm bowel IC, and the advice I've had is don't use washable nappies (and I don't fancy cleaning them). I'd be interested in knowing how anyone else gets on with washable nappies who has bowel IC and / or messes.
Public service announcement DO NOT FLUSH WET WIPES down your toilet or face big plumber & Septic bills to de clog the pipes!

Minih said:

try these
https://www.nickisdiapers.com/bummis-flushable-bio-soft-liners.html
you put them on the top layer of your cloth diaper, when a bm happens, you take this and flush it all.

Now I can understand cloth might better. But also have to consider your location. California we trying to save water. So washing cloth diapers will waste a lot of water. So here why I think the plastic back diaper is better.

In California, you want to save water and also have plants and a yard with grass. How do you have the yard hold water? Well, the Gel of the diaper. Is useful to hold water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back