Bruce Jenner/Caitlyn Jenner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starlight99

Est. Contributor
Am I the only LGBT person alive who hates this jackass?

I don't truly believe that Bruce Jenner is transgender, judging not just by my own personal experience, but by other transgender people I know, both generally and personally. My theory is that he just wanted to extend his 15 minutes of fame after he got divorced from Kris Jenner. Think about it: the Kardashians are undoubtedly the most famous family on Earth today, the two parental figures are getting divorced, and the one is set to be on the outskirts of the tabloid world. So what's he gonna do? He comes out as transgender. And in an increasingly liberal society, calling him on it would be an instant argument for someone at unknown status and career suicide for someone who's famous. Frankly, I think he's a smack in the face to the LGBT community. To consider him transgender is an up-yours to the entire community. Well, to consider him and his family human is an up-yours to humanity. It's almost like a crossover of Freaks and Pink Flamingos without a fourth wall. Who can be the showiest and the trashiest simultaneously, and what group can they be somewhat a part of, while still being better than everyone in that group. Every time I even mention anything LGBT-related, he always comes into the conversation, and I'd personally like to break his neck for even being associated with an act like that. That's my take on Bruce Jenner. Anybody else wants to throw their hat in the ring, go right ahead.

Regardless of your assessment of Caitlyn Jenner as a person (I'm not a fan myself), respecting her gender as expressed by her shows affirmation not only of her individual identity but of transgender identity in general. It shows implicit respect for expressed gender identity.

I literally winced reading this post. Rag on Caitlyn Jenner all you like, but misgendering her is hitting way below the belt.

As a person who's battling with my own gender identity and my own gender expression (which I don't really do in public because I don't want attention), this situation makes me wonder whether there even is an identity struggle there after all. I, along with literally every LGBT person I know, try to live our lives with as little attention as possible, and then this one shows up and tries to get as much attention as possible, and that's what sucks. When you're coming-out occurs just as you're about to leave the media spotlight, it goes from "yes, I'm transgender" to "I'M TRANSGENDER, LOOK AT ME!", and that's what I hate. I hate to think of the fact that if I discuss my identity issues with anyone, their go-to answer is "Isn't that the same as Caitlyn Jenner?" The fact that is seems more like an extension of someone's fame than a discussion of a personal struggle pisses me off, and that's why I can't really accept this. I accept it in literally every other situation, but this just seems fake. I know if I got my shit together and realized that I was transgender (I truly can't figure out what I am yet), I'd have to hear "You just want attention like Jenner! You're trying to get attention!". It sucks when hundreds of thousands of people worldwide have to be represented by one person who truly doesn't represent us, that's why I'm so pissed off.

As for the "hit below the belt," imagine having girls' clothes hidden your bedroom, and when your mother finds them, she asks if you're supposed to be like Caitlyn Jenner now. That makes two of us hit below the belt. -_-

I have almost no media interaction with Jenner. Prior to the transgender announcement, it might have been back in the days of the Olympics and the aftermath of the win since I heard anything of her. If it was publicity designed to raise her stature, it was a very long time coming. In any event, little of what I heard about her recently was positive.

I think it is almost a certainty that a small number of any group is lying, seeking attention, or otherwise disingenuous. In this case, I don't think it matters. The harm of withholding our acceptance until a person passes our particular standard of validity does far more damage to the legitimate members of that group than accepting a "faker".

We don't have to like her. Just accept and move along and encourage others to do likewise. It's basic decency and we do it because it's right rather than a gift that we bestow.

I can not stand Caitlyn Jenner, but I will not judge her gender identity. This made me cringe too.

I just ignore her and the rest of the Kardashians. XD They've got no influence on my life, so it's pretty easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back