quick question for the tech-heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
i'm about to rewind the armature on our old vacuum cleaner motor and i'm stuck at finding the suitable insulating paper [at a reasonable price]; my question is, would normal electrical insulating tape do the job, or do i need to source mylar tape or mica film, etc?

(i'm just off to do a heat test on some eletrical tape :biggrin:)

update: just seen a Dupont Kapton-a-like tape (0.05mm thickness) which seems to have higher temp specs and upto 3000V AC resistance; anybody got experience with such stuff?

Last edited:
I've used Kapton tape where I work when we have to parts in an oven up to 150C, it works much better than standard electrical tape. I would not use standard electrical tape for rewinding the armature, it cannot withstand the temperatures that a motor will generate. Standard electrical tape is too easy to stretch out, especially when warm, whereas Kapton tape will not stretch as easily.

cheers for the reassurance; i bought a roll of kapton-a-like shortly after my previous.
i'm in the middle of other jobs at the moment, so the motor's on the backburner (along with loads of other stuff :biggrin:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back