Status
Not open for further replies.

TransNate

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
I posted this in diaper talk without much luck, but I still need the help. I changed my own diaper for the first time, and it was very time consuming and very yucky. I normally have aides or my daddy do it, but I was alone so I had to try myself. So how do I make the process less time consuming, and how do I better deal with the yuckiness? I have standard autism, and I'm medium to high functioning if this helps. Please give me advice of you can!

Easy to learn, hard to master, you need to practice practice practice and you will get to change your nappies fast

Think of a diaper change like a puzzle, make sure to have all the essential pieces (diaper, wipes, some place to dispose the diaper), give yourself enough room to work on it comfortably but get comfortable with a small space (at least the size of a handicap stall as that's what you'll be working with, optimally get comfortable changing in half that size in case a handicap stall isn't available)

Then you need practice ,

first take the diaper out of what you have it in, stretch it out and fold it down the middle to create a valley between your legs so the urine will naturally travel towards the center of the diaper,

then slowly slide down your current diaper, make sure you currently aren't in process of going before you completely slide down, when you are sure remove the old diaper set it to the side immediately wipe up the current area getting it as clean as possible,

then after that put the new diaper under you try to get it anchored, if in a bathroom stall I advise using the one of the walls of the stall then I advise starting with the bottom tapes making sure they are sorting of pointing diagonally upwards, make sure it is snug at the leg gatherers, this is the difference between wet pants and a soaked diaper later,

then do the top tapes pointing downwards making sure there is a barrier at the waste, failing to do this can also lead to wet pants to a wet shirt,

when you are sure you are finished check to make sure there is no exposed pots around the diaper that will leak when you move, make adjustments if need be to fix this, then wrap up the old diaper pull up your pants making sure your diaper is covered,

then go and throw away the old diaper wrapped up in an appropriate trash receptacle

rennecfox said:
Think of a diaper change like a puzzle, make sure to have all the essential pieces (diaper, wipes, some place to dispose the diaper), give yourself enough room to work on it comfortably but get comfortable with a small space (at least the size of a handicap stall as that's what you'll be working with, optimally get comfortable changing in half that size in case a handicap stall isn't available)

Then you need practice ,

first take the diaper out of what you have it in, stretch it out and fold it down the middle to create a valley between your legs so the urine will naturally travel towards the center of the diaper,

then slowly slide down your current diaper, make sure you currently aren't in process of going before you completely slide down, when you are sure remove the old diaper set it to the side immediately wipe up the current area getting it as clean as possible,

then after that put the new diaper under you try to get it anchored, if in a bathroom stall I advise using the one of the walls of the stall then I advise starting with the bottom tapes making sure they are sorting of pointing diagonally upwards, make sure it is snug at the leg gatherers, this is the difference between wet pants and a soaked diaper later,

then do the top tapes pointing downwards making sure there is a barrier at the waste, failing to do this can also lead to wet pants to a wet shirt,

when you are sure you are finished check to make sure there is no exposed pots around the diaper that will leak when you move, make adjustments if need be to fix this, then wrap up the old diaper pull up your pants making sure your diaper is covered,

then go and throw away the old diaper wrapped up in an appropriate trash receptacle

A few follow up questions

1) how do I fix the diaper if there's any places it would leak?

2) I usually don't know when I'm going, it just happens at random times. How do I make sure I'm not going when I don't know if I'm going?

Question 1. Refix the tape checking to make sure it fixed the fit.

Question 2. look in the diaper to see if you are urinating or defecating, if you are waits a few moments until you try again.

rennecfox said:
bottom tapes making sure they are sorting of pointing diagonally upwards

Somehow, this "diagonally upwards" thing is what most people advise, but it's all different for everyone. I, for example, find that, when pointing them upwards, the leg leak guards are too loose and simply don't do their job.
So I usually stick the bottom tapes downwards, depending on a diaper brand, even on the leak guards themselves. This may not look too nice, but it's the performance, not looks that we're after, right?

GeraldRoss said:
Somehow, this "diagonally upwards" thing is what most people advise, but it's all different for everyone. I, for example, find that, when pointing them upwards, the leg leak guards are too loose and simply don't do their job.
So I usually stick the bottom tapes downwards, depending on a diaper brand, even on the leak guards themselves. This may not look too nice, but it's the performance, not looks that we're after, right?
True upwards never has been the best fix for me either, your right it's about the seal more then any thing, the upwards part is more so the tapes will hold the wings of the brief facing up up as the day goes on and it gets heavier in theory creating a seal

rennecfox said:
True upwards never has been the best fix for me either, your right it's about the seal more then any thing, the upwards part is more so the tapes will hold the wings of the brief facing up up as the day goes on and it gets heavier in theory creating a seal
I guess that's how it should work, but no, it's not like that.
What we need, are three-tape diapers. The bottommost tape will seal leg guards, the middle one will pull the wings and the leg guards on the rear side and the topmost tape... Well, that's pretty self-explanatory...
That will probably be an ideal diaper.
I know, that there is some brand with three tapes, but unfortunately it's not available in my country. I'm talking about having all diapers like that.

GeraldRoss said:
I guess that's how it should work, but no, it's not like that.
What we need, are three-tape diapers. The bottommost tape will seal leg guards, the middle one will pull the wings and the leg guards on the rear side and the topmost tape... Well, that's pretty self-explanatory...
That will probably be an ideal diaper.
I know, that there is some brand with three tapes, but unfortunately it's not available in my country. I'm talking about having all diapers like that.

Oh jeez this is a whole lot of information. I tried changing my own diaper yesterday and I leaked all over my pants and my dad said he was proud I tried but it made me really yucky. It's just so hard! And I like pullups more than diapers anyway because I can take them off on my own, but my dad and aides don't like them for the same reason. That's because I like to take off my protection and wear undies instead. So I'm trying to prove to them I can handle my own diaper changes but this is impossible!

TransNate said:
Oh jeez this is a whole lot of information. I tried changing my own diaper yesterday and I leaked all over my pants and my dad said he was proud I tried but it made me really yucky. It's just so hard! And I like pullups more than diapers anyway because I can take them off on my own, but my dad and aides don't like them for the same reason. That's because I like to take off my protection and wear undies instead. So I'm trying to prove to them I can handle my own diaper changes but this is impossible!

I understand, that you want to do everything yourself, but you should rely on others more. I'm not saying, that you should just let them do all the with for you, what I mean is: ask your caregivers to teach you how to do it.
Even children, if they are old enough to get dressed themselves, but still need diapers, are taught to change themselves by their parents. Same here.
No matter how many people explain you, how to do it properly, nothing beats a first hand example.
When you get changed, watch and feel what your caregiver is doing, then try to recreate the feeling and actions by yourself. Or, even better, ask that you do it itself, while caregiver guides your hands and instructs you on proper way of changing.

GeraldRoss said:
I understand, that you want to do everything yourself, but you should rely on others more. I'm not saying, that you should just let them do all the with for you, what I mean is: ask your caregivers to teach you how to do it.
Even children, if they are old enough to get dressed themselves, but still need diapers, are taught to change themselves by their parents. Same here.
No matter how many people explain you, how to do it properly, nothing beats a first hand example.
When you get changed, watch and feel what your caregiver is doing, then try to recreate the feeling and actions by yourself. Or, even better, ask that you do it itself, while caregiver guides your hands and instructs you on proper way of changing.

That's a good idea. I really wanted to surprise them with knowing. Which is difficult because my aide/my dad dresses me in the mornings/before bed too. But I am just trying to prove I can be independent. Because I want to move out of the house. But normally when I try I just try and prove I don't need diapers and then there's that huge mess. I could always try that again. Third times a charm. And then if that doesn't work a third time then I ask for help on how to change my own diapers.

TransNate said:
I could always try that again. Third times a charm. And then if that doesn't work a third time then I ask for help on how to change my own diapers.

Now that's the spirit! Do your best and you will prevail! =)

TransNate said:
But normally when I try I just try and prove I don't need diapers and then there's that huge mess. I could always try that again. Third times a charm. .
That's a terrible idea, you don't just want to not be incontinent and it stops (there wouldn't even be adult incontinence products if this was true). Even if you get the bowels under control by some miracle (given the other post you've already revealed how well that worked out), you already stated you are bladder incontinent. How does that factor in to this idea? You said you want to be independent, part of being independent is learning, doing the same mistakes over and over again is not the road to independence.

Last edited:
Hi!

It's not that bad once you practice enough. Be careful not to get any baby oil, or diaper rash cream on the tabs that close the diaper. One you do they will not hold.. I know what you mean. Diapering ourselves does not hold the excitement that we receive when our Mommies or Daddies are doing it. It also is not a time o feel the love from Mommy or Daddy. It is a time to get ourselves diapered and to be back feeling secure and protected once again. Take it in stride. Practice! Practice! Practice! You know when you go into a public restroom and you need a quick change you will have to do it while standing up. It beats not being in my diapers but it is all business when we have to do that. I do it twice a day as I wear my diapers to work. I have gotten used to diapering myself. I wish you the best always. BabyBoy4u

If you seriously want to minimize your need for diapers, determine first how much control you can have while wearing protection, determine if protective underwear can handle your accidents, if they can then wear those.. Going cold turkey with diapers isn't a sensible option when you have issues like this.

rennecfox said:
If you seriously want to minimize your need for diapers, determine first how much control you can have while wearing protection, determine if protective underwear can handle your accidents, if they can then wear those.. Going cold turkey with diapers isn't a sensible option when you have issues like this.

I never know when I'm going I just feel like I should. So undies could do the trick.

TransNate said:
I never know when I'm going
And how exactly do you rationalize even trying non absorbent underwear?
you claim to have a 172 iq, I don't see how you can draw this as a logical conclusion as it will inevitably end in failure every time.

I just feel like I should. So undies could do the trick.

Protective is the keyword, and you should try them at home first to see how well they handle your wettings and messes.

you claim to have a 172 iq, I don't see how you can draw this as a logical conclusion as it will inevitably end in failure every time.
My dad says I may be the smartest person he knows, but I'm too stubborn for my own good. That's why the least protective thing he buys me is pullups. However, I'm an adult, so I've bought underpants. But I guess I see everyone's point. I can't do undies because a medical condition, but I can try pullups or protective underpants.

You want to be independent, I get that.

You want to show that you're ready to be independent by wearing normal underwear. I get that too.

But in your case, even though you have uncontrolled wets/messes, and you admit to this, you think undies is "showing independence". But it just creates more mess, more upset to those around you, your carers, your dad, the public. That's not showing independence, that's being juvenile, when you go against everyone's advice.

If you really want to show that you're ready to be independent, you need to make the decision and agree with those around you, that protection (diapers or pullups) you need, and you will wear. That's being grown up, admitting that. It makes it easier on everyone.

As others above have said, asking for help, observing how the carers change you, asking for them to assist you when you want to learn to change yourself, that's proving to them that you want to be independent, and they will assist you in your goal to be independent.

Set a goal for yourself. If you can remain dry and clean for a few days or a week, only then consider trying lesser protection. If you continue to remain dry and clean, then consider undies. Your carers and your dad can help you in this goal. But to achieve it, you need to tell them immediately you feel the need to wee or poo. Go for it!

When my parents put me back in diapers for night time, (when I was about 12) for the first 3 months they diapered me showing me how it was done, after that for another month I was allowed to do it myself, but they would always check me before I went to bed. After that I was allowed to do it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back