Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote Acsses

Default Remote Acsses

What program(s) do you prefer for remote acsses to computers?

aj1983

I use VNC. I'd recommend it, buts it's the only one i've tried

Depends.
    VNC - One of the best ones I have used.
    rAdmin - I'm a bit iffy on it, I've used it for a while though with no issues.
    And, if you're looking for something a litle more discreet and trojan-esque/backdoor-ish, Sub7.
    Be warned, this is by far one of the most shady (but able to be legitimate) ones out there, although it is free, and gets the job done.

Since they have a demo I think I am going to give it a try.

SSH or SSH-wrapped VNC, X-forwarder, Remote Desktop, or the like.

VNC's good because it plays with everything, but it is very slow with image updates. 90% of the time I use straight SSH anyway, as I tend to do things via the CLI.

I also use certificates and another auth scheme (2-phase) rather than passwords where possible.

After playing with VNC I realized it is what my old school uses.

While VNC has it's place, LogMeIn Free is amazing for most people, because you can use it for free anywhere you can get a browser. I like the pro version, because it supports sound and gives stats on PC health without even logging in. The encryption, and authentication that allows me to use it to support my clients safely and securely.

Give it a shot, you'll like it.

I like it but unless you are willing to pay you can't fully controll the computer, I think I like VNC because you have full controll of the computer

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    While VNC has it's place, LogMeIn Free is amazing for most people, because you can use it for free anywhere you can get a browser. I like the pro version, because it supports sound and gives stats on PC health without even logging in. The encryption, and authentication that allows me to use it to support my clients safely and securely.

Give it a shot, you'll like it.
    Agreed, logmein is the best.

I mostly use ssh. However, VNC is good over a local network (far too slow over a slow internet connection, though). NX/FreeNX are fairly decent in these cases. But yeah, ssh mostly fills my needs, and I also use sshfs for mounting remote machines and Tramp in emacs. I set up key pairs for my machine and the others and so it makes it all pretty painless.