Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Childhood Pets

Wow! This is very interesting reading all of your stories of your favorite childhood pets! I'm glad I was able to help revive this thread! Please encourage others to share their stories of their favorite dogs, cats, fish, or whatever pet you may have had.

I always had pets of all sorts growing up, but the 2 I've been the most connected with and were with me for all of my childhood (until late high school or a few years after that) were a Cat named Morris (looked kinda like the one on the bag of cat food Orange/White; he had 6 fingers (basically 2 thumbs per hand) on both of his front paws), and a Dog named Big Boy (half Pit-Bull, Half Lab, he had a shiny Black/Brindle (multi-color) coat of fur and was very loving, protective, and laid back (he sounded fierce, but never bit anybody and wanted tons of attention)).

I've had both of them for roughly 14 or 15 years (at the same time; they were basically best friends to each other) and grew up with both of them; naturally they eventually got old and quickly died peacefully; and both hurt a lot emotionally; of course you eventually "replace" (I'm using that term loosely as you still miss old pets, no 2 are the same, all are unique) them and move on, but you never forget old pets, and they will always hold a special place in your heart and memories.

For most of my youth, I had a black cat named Donel Doo (or Donel, for short)—he was a dear old soul. Sure, there was the occasional clawing when I got a little too rough with him, but I meant him no ill will. For one thing, I liked how he used to walk over me while I was asleep. Sadly, the older he got, the more dehydrated he became. Even all those saline injections we gave him per our vet's instructions weren't enough to save him. We now keep his ashes up on the living room mantel.

Before him, we had a tiger-looking cat named Minou. He didn't last very long—he just up and ran off a few months or so after I'd been born.

I had one pet really aside from fish, briefly a bird, and a cat that I don't really remember all too well. Baylie, a German Shepherd Boarder Collie Mix. You'd think she'd be a big dog but she was actually tiny lol. She was with us from March (Ish, she was only a couple weeks old) 2001 until Feb 2014. I was absolutely terrified of dogs when we got her, that was the whole point, because a lot of people had dogs and my sister wanted a pet, and since I was allergic to the cat and he had to stay with the neighbors we got a dog lol. I was really close to her and I pretty much can't remember a time from before she was with us. I was absolutely devastated when she left us, still am, get sad about it from time to time, but she's in a better place now. Also, my sister and I used to joke that Baylie got treated better than we did lol. She really was the queen of the house. She was really smart but she was also a little shit from time to time lol, miss her a lot.

I had guinea pigs for 15 years, up to 13 at one time due to incest. Two years ago we decided to give away the last one, which were young and alone. There also were a dwarf rabbit. I currently have a husky rescued from Albacete. Although Iīm allergic to both rodents and dogs I canīt live without them. Iīm not that allergic to dogs, so she can sleep on my bed.

My family has gone through a dog and a couple cats but I still have my kitty that I got when I was 10. He seems to have a little bit of arthritis, but otherwise he is doing pretty good.

We had tortoises when I was very small (under 5) but they escaped from our garden a lot so we gave them to someone who could look after them better

We got a cat called Barney when I was 6. He was very close to my mum's partner at the time so when they broke up he had Barney, I haven't seen him since; he should still be alive though

I got a hamster called Leah when I was 7 at my dad and she lived for 2 years and passed away when I was almost 10

When I was 8 we got our 2 cats, Digby and Domino who are still alive. They are 10 now (i'm 18)