Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Childhood Pets

I've had quite a few pets, including insects I found outside and two fish. The most notable pet (and my all-time best friend ever) was my yellow lab. His name was Bear, and I loved him more than anything else in the world. Initially, my parents had a beagle named Daisy, but I don't have too many memories of her. We got another dog, but he had something wrong with him and he had to be returned after one day, which broke my heart. The vet's assistant sold my mother the only remaining puppy from her litter of 8, but she informed my mother that both of Bear's parents were prone to eating, and his mother had eaten a watch. He was very energetic, and he even jumped a couch one day when we were trying to catch him. We took him out for a walk when he was very young, and he walked us. One memory I have of Bear is that he whined to go outside around 3 in the morning, then he stole one of those singing snowman things from Hallmark and took off into the back yard. I quietly tried to convince him to let go, but then my mother came out screaming, and the whole neighborhood woke up. That was Bear's signature move: he'd pick up whatever he could (including pillows, arm covers for chairs, clothes, and extension cords) and take off into the yard with it. He never left our house, and the one time he got off the property, he just stood in the front yard wondering where he was, and it took a long time to get him back into the house. He was doing well, but then he got older, and he slowed down rapidly. In one month, he went from running around and making tons of noise to unable to move or stand up. We later found out he had cancer, and we sadly decided that it was time for Bear to go. The day Bear died was easily the worst day of my life, and I'm crying just writing this. Even though I have many friends that I love, Bear will always be the best friend I ever had <3

My first pet was a hamster named Tiffany but my family had a cat (which hated me) named Muffy. It would always attack me and I love animals so I was never mean to it or anything. After about a year my mom had to get rid of her. Muffy would hide behind doors and things and jump out and bite and scratch me and on top of it I was having allergic reactions to the saliva. I learned after her that I'm a dog person lol.

I don't even know if I can manage to list all of the pets we had when I was small...

I'll just stick to those who were my 'own' and not family pets. I'll put rough dates. :3

Mr. Ed (1988): I had a half-blind dappled gray pony that I named Mr. Ed after the talking horse. (Because I was in love with that show as a little kid. THE HORSE COULD TALK! XD) And no, we weren't rich or anything, my dad got irritated with my brothers constantly fighting over who got to ride in a go-kart they had and traded it for the pony. He lived at my 'adopted' grandparents' farm and we would go out every couple of days to clean up and take care of him. (Gramma would feed/water, we cleaned up the barn and such.) I eventually got too big to ride him and we gave him to Gramma's little grand-daughter. I have no idea what happened to him after that, but I like to think he lived a happy life.

Little Lady(1989): My very first dog. She was a Basset Hound and the goofiest thing. I would try to take her for a walk, but she would end up pulling me down the street because she was just so strong. I had no idea how to train her to 'heel', so we just made the best of it. LOL She died suddenly and I got:

Susie Que(1995): This one is probably the most mean/nasty dog I've ever had. :P She was a purebred Cocker Spaniel but I suspect she was a poorly bred one. If you tried to brush her, she'd bite you. So I would have to basically live with her getting matted and gross until we'd finally take her in and have her shaved down. Which was terrible, but there wasn't any way around it. Most of the time she was fine, but then she bit my toe open once for trying to scratch her back with my foot. (Which I'd done often enough in the past and she seemed to like. I dunno.) We moved and re-homed her with MASSIVE warnings about her aggressiveness. The people who took her wanted her for her NAME, which I thought was totally stupid but my family was desperate not to dump her in the pound. (Then, after all the warnings about her attitude problems/biting, they called and asked why the dog was growling and had tried to bite one of the girls when they were petting her while she was eating. Uuuuuugh. I TOLD you she was aggressive and angry about people messing with her while she was eating.)

I have no idea what happened to her after that. Probably put to sleep. And no, the move was most certainly not planned. We lost our house and had to move quickly with no time, I was told, to find a place to keep the dogs. :P

Zak(1991): A white tomcat I rescued from a shed (along with his sister and three other siblings) after their mother was poisoned by someone in the neighborhood. I was allowed to keep Zak and his sister, but had to get homes for the other three. Luckily my sad-eye routine worked on some neighbors and a gray tabby went to my friend's house and the other two were adopted by the crazy biker couple across the street. (Crazy in a good way. ) Zak and Snowflake stayed with us until it became apparent that one was a girl and one was a boy. Zak went to live with a friend of my dad's from work where I got regular news about his doings. Including disappearing for a week and being found hanging out with the kids at another house. He ended up migrating over there, I think. Snowflake went to my brother ( ) Where he let her go outside and then complained when she came back pregnant. The last I knew or saw of her, she was making her way down the street towards another house, so maybe SHE moved, too.

Bugsy(1995): A wild rabbit my dad brought home. I 'tamed' him enough to keep him and feed him. He never liked to be touched. Looking back on him made me certain that I wouldn't try to keep another wild animal because it's obvious to me now in hindsight that he was very unhappy. But I was a kid and thought if you touched them, they would die if you let them go. Bugsy was actually old enough to live on his own but I didn't know it. (No internet!)

Bopper(1997): A gray lop bunny that I had when we were forced to move. We took him back to the breeder we got him from, so his had a happy ending. The poor breeder thought I didn't like him, and I said "No, I love him." I didn't get to have him for very long, but he loved being brushed and having his cornstarch 'bath'. XD

Stormy(1999): A little black raincloud in the form of a cat. She would purr so loud that a few times she had us going "What is that noise?" And finding her curled up rumbling. She was such a sweetheart. She died on Halloween night 2000 of kidney failure from being exposed to antifreeze. (We took her from my grandparents' house and apparently my Alzheimer's riddled grandfather had tried to poison all the cats with antifreeze. ) I still miss this kitty.

Pinkie(1998): A white mouse I saved from my brother's abandoned ball python. He brought the snake and left it at our house, refusing to come get it. We took care of it as best we could but he ended up dying because we had no idea and no instructions other than "Feed it a mouse every so often". Anyway, Pinkie was pretty happy for a mouse I suppose. He would let me catch him and hold him, walking with his little teeny feet on me and tickling me. And yes, he was named after Pinky and the Brain.

Spike(2000): A gerbil I snuck into the house without my dad knowing after Pinkie had passed on. He would spend most of his time jumping and trying to knock the top off of the aquarium, so I had to put a heavy book on it so I would know that he wasn't going to be gone in the morning. XD I don't know why he was so insistent on escape. Maybe he was a criminal mastermind gerbil?

Since then I have had many pets and once I was old enough to firmly voice my opinion, none have been re-homed. Even when they ended up being a total pain in the butt. It's been so many years since Susie, but I'm still freakin' salty as the dead sea that we had to give her up. I was prepared to deal with her horrible behavior for the rest of her life, and I didn't really want to give her up because of it. I was still a 'kid' and so over-ruled by my dad.

(Guys I've had who have passed since then of nothing more than old age: Dinky (cat), Mithras (mouse), Furfnel (gerbil), Daisy (dog), Thor, Pixie, Thumper, Ready, Velvet, Midnight and Mo (rabbits, owned concurrently. XD They all got old together!), Jemima, Mr. Brown, Ringo, Coco, Godiva, Rebekkah, Hershey (Ducks, the last five were Khaki Campbells so they were brown. Hence the chocolate names.)

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleWoozle View Post

Susie Que(1995): This one is probably the most mean/nasty dog I've ever had. :P She was a purebred Cocker Spaniel but I suspect she was a poorly bred one. If you tried to brush her, she'd bite you. So I would have to basically live with her getting matted and gross until we'd finally take her in and have her shaved down. Which was terrible, but there wasn't any way around it. Most of the time she was fine, but then she bit my toe open once for trying to scratch her back with my foot. (Which I'd done often enough in the past and she seemed to like. I dunno.) We moved and re-homed her with MASSIVE warnings about her aggressiveness. The people who took her wanted her for her NAME, which I thought was totally stupid but my family was desperate not to dump her in the pound. (Then, after all the warnings about her attitude problems/biting, they called and asked why the dog was growling and had tried to bite one of the girls when they were petting her while she was eating. Uuuuuugh. I TOLD you she was aggressive and angry about people messing with her while she was eating.)
    My first dog was a cocker spaniel I named Dixie, when I was about three or four. I remember getting her at the breeder's house. But one time I think I was touching her around her mouth, and she bit me. So my mother gave her to someone else the breeder said wanted her.

It couldn't have been too long after that that I picked out a poodle puppy, which we had for 14 years.

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaWolfNagihiko View Post
    My first dog was a cocker spaniel I named Dixie, when I was about three or four. I remember getting her at the breeder's house. But one time I think I was touching her around her mouth, and she bit me. So my mother gave her to someone else the breeder said wanted her.

It couldn't have been too long after that that I picked out a poodle puppy, which we had for 14 years.
    I didn't have a dog for a while afterwards, but then I felt terrible for a little terrier puppy that my one brother got and was being mean to. So I managed to talk him into giving her to me. I had her for almost sixteen years, that would be the one listed as "Daisy". She was the best and silliest dog ever. She loved to be dressed up. One of those rare oddball dogs that is like "I am so cute now! Come pet me everybody! I am wearing a pirate costume!" XD

Susie's father was really really aggressive when we went to pick up the puppy we'd bought, so I wonder if he had something to do with it. Her mom was fine, but her dad was trying to tear his way into the house to get at us. O_O

I guess I cant really say she was my dog but she was. My grandparents watched me a lot and one time took me, my siblings, and my cousins on a road trip. On this trip we came across Lucky. Lucky was the sweetest tiniest puppy I had ever seen she could fit in both my hands and I was maybe 5 or so. She even peed on my Barney pillow. Hahaha anyway me and her were inseparable. My grandparents always had two dogs and when Duke died. I could tell how sad Lucky was. So Id often sleep on the kitchen floor with her and wed just snuggle all night. My parents would pick me in the morning and my graparents where happy for both me and dog. That beautiful lab mix made everyone feel so happy and the energy that dog brought out in everyone was amazing. Id say she was my first pet even though I didnt really own her. Awesome topic

Lost a street cat that we always seen around when I was really young, I felt bad.
    Lost beloved Boo-Boo kitty 2003, Mittens 2009, and Bubba 2016.
    Two more in the future =/
    I'm going to stick to stuffed friends once I move out. I can't keep taking the loss, a piece of me dies each time. I'm an aspie so that might be a reason.

I'd say that I lose a bit of myself every time I lose a furry friend, but that spot does heal eventually and I just remember the fun times and not the sad ones.

And I'm beating myself in the butt for not mentioning Sir Didymus. He was a great lovable orange furry cat. Who thought he was a dog. He was bestest best friends forever with Daisy the dog. :P He would pet her, and she would give him her food. LOL Such a pair of crazies. He ended up with a pinched nerve in his lower back that semi-paralyzed him. He couldn't walk, but he could feel all the excruciating pain from the nerve. The trip to get him better ended with me having to let him go.

The vet said he could do surgery, but there was only like...a 30% chance of the surgery working and a 95% chance of it just happening again. And he was in such pain that I couldn't stand to see him crying so. The vet was very kind and made sure he was out sleeping before giving him the final shot. So it was like seeing him go from "OW OW OW! IT HURTS SO MUCH!" to "Oooh, that feels much better. I'm happy and sleepy now." more than just here and gone. I still miss him, but the spot that was torn out has healed somewhat now and I can think about how silly he was and how he would run across the room just to bop his head against my foot. XD

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    My first dog was a mixed breed puppy from my brothers dog.

We had the litter of puppies on one of our beds when they where just starting to walk.

The one I was playing with wet on the bed, and my oldest brother said "Oh no a tinkle berry, "Damn you!""

My parents where in their room listening to us and started to laugh.

I got to keep him and he was named Tinkle berry damn you or tink for short.

Unfortunately we had to move from LA to PDX and he could not come with us.

Egor
    After we moved to Oregon and finally got settled in. All of my brothers had there "farm projects" and I did not have anything. (I do not remember this part of it, but it was definitely one of my first depression spells) I was very depressed about this and my mother was talking to my grandfather in LA about it. HE got mad at my mom and sent $20 for them to get me a farm animal of my own. So my dad found this lady in town that had a young goat and bought it for me.

1) She got named Missy Goat and proceeded to eat, girdled and killed every bush around the house (except blackberry plants). She mad me very happy and lived for 18 years.

2) IT turned out that this ladies "husband" had left her with 3 kids and no money and their selling the goat (that was her husbands) was the only money they had had for a few weeks.

I still have the majority of my childhood pets, but I'm 21 years old so that's probably why. I have a Persian/Tabby mix name Ashley; she's 13 years old and a major diva. Then I have a miniature Dachshund named Amy; she's 12 years old and a yapper. After Amy I have Josie; she's a 8 year old Jack Russel and VERY hyper. Then there's Vinny; he's a 6 year old Blue Russian. He's too smart for his own good. We have Yuki; she's a 6 years old Tabby and very tough for her small size.

I only lost two pets in my childhood. One was my first cat name Tabby; he died of an illness in 2006 at 2 years old. Tabby acted a lot like a human. Then I had a cat name J.R that ran away in 2012; he was a wild child.