Thread: Moving to a new place...

Default Moving to a new place...

Soon, I will be moving back to Derry, NH, after living in Salem, NH for the past 52 years.
    Moving day was supposed to be yesterday, but got postponed a few days.
    The issue is that the other party with bought the family home in Salem, NH to cough up the money to my younger brother to close the deal.
    Anyway, we are downsized and packed to move.
    The waiting to move is driving me nuts as an Autistic person.

Is this a move you have to make or is it one you wanted to make? I think you talked about this a few months ago, but I've forgotten the particulars.

Since my wife died, I've thought about selling my house and buying something smaller. I've also thought about living closer to my other son, something close to the Chesapeake bay because I love the water and grew up on Barnegat Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Is this a move you have to make or is it one you wanted to make? I think you talked about this a few months ago, but I've forgotten the particulars.

Since my wife died, I've thought about selling my house and buying something smaller. I've also thought about living closer to my other son, something close to the Chesapeake bay because I love the water and grew up on Barnegat Bay.
    We needed to downsize.
    Also too expensive to live in Salem, NH due to the taxes.
    The deal will be completed either on Monday or Tuesday next week.
    Then by the next day we will be moved into our new place in Derry, NH
    Salem, NH is becoming gentrified, and a lot of older homes are up for sale.
    Older people and working class people are being forced out with this town's gentrification.
    Also, Salem, NH is turning into a city.

I've thought about moving back to where I lived as a kid, but that's the Jersey Shore, and they are supposed to have the highest property taxes in the U. S. I've looked at houses for sale and their prices, and I could buy something, but I'm not sure I would want to pay the high property taxes. I also would be several states apart from my two sons, and I don't want to do that. If I lived along the Chesapeake, I'd be close to my one son as he and his wife life in Richmond.

I've read that New Hampshire has extremely high property taxes as well. It quickly gets out of hand for all of us normal earning people.

I've thought about moving back to where I lived as a kid, but that's the Jersey Shore, and they are supposed to have the highest property taxes in the U. S. I've looked at houses for sale and their prices, and I could buy something, but I'm not sure I would want to pay the high property taxes. I also would be several states apart from my two sons, and I don't want to do that. If I lived along the Chesapeake, I'd be close to my one son as he and his wife life in Richmond.

I've read that New Hampshire has extremely high property taxes as well. It quickly gets out of hand for all of us normal earning people.
    My brother's Realtor he sold our house through put me up in a motel here in Salem, NH across town from our house so I, a physically disabled 60 year-old does not have to sleep on the floor.
    She is making the "buyer" of our house pay for putting a handicapped adult up in a motel, since he did not close the contract on Wednesday, when we were supposed to move 2 towns north to Derry.
    My brother is staying at the house to keep it looking "occupied", and to guard our belongings we are taking with us to our new house trailer.
    The waiting is driving me nuts.
    Hopefully next Sunday, the 17th, I will be going to church at the First Parish Congregational Church in East Derry, which is the home church of famous Astronaut Alan B. Sheppard, the 1st American in Space.
    Anyway, I have been watching cartoons on the Nickelodeon Channel to have some needed "Little Time".

I guess you have a nurse or somebody who comes in and helps you? It sounds like a difficult situation and I too will be glad when you can move into your new home. The church sounds nice. I've been really glad to still have my music director job at my church. It's a great congregation and church family. They sort of look out for me since my wife died, which is nice. Typically Methodist, we're getting a new minister and his family come the first Sunday of July. He has something like four or five Masters' degrees, one in Poetry, and his Doctorate in Divinity, so he should be very interesting.

I myself do not need PCA's, but my younger brother is checking in on me several times a day to see if I need anything.
    Earlier today he brought over the unopened package of DEPEND diapers I left at home in my bedroom on the floor next to the plastic trash bag with my folded-up blankies, ready to load onto the moving truck.
    It looks like Tuesday this week will be moving day.

Quote Originally Posted by caitianx View Post
    I myself do not need PCA's, but my younger brother is checking in on me several times a day to see if I need anything.
    Earlier today he brought over the unopened package of DEPEND diapers I left at home in my bedroom on the floor next to the plastic trash bag with my folded-up blankies, ready to load onto the moving truck.
    It looks like Tuesday this week will be moving day.
    Keep us posted on your move and how you're doing.

Keep us posted on your move and how you're doing.
    Based upon latest information, we will be moving Wednesday, 8 days late.
    Anyway, for most of today, I have been in my motel room, wearing nothing but a pair of socks and a diaper.
    Been playing baby, crawling on all-fours, thumb sucking, and hugging my little "Princess Twilight Sparkle" beanie baby friend to get into "Baby Mode".

Now, it looks like it will be on Friday the 15th of June, 2 days from today, which is Wednesday the 13th.