Not open for further replies.

Dinotopian2002

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Hi guys

I had to make an awkward phone call earlier this week to my incontinence supplier, which is provided by the NHS in the UK. Normally I just reorder my usual supplies every three months online, but this time I had to change the order to something thicker.

The basic rule is that they can provide me with three nappies per day. I've been using two Tena Flex Pluses in the day and then a Tena Slip Maxi for evening/night wear. However, I've been using up to four Flex Plus in the day, and I've realised that I need thicker padding to stay dry. As such, I've now ordered Tena Flex Super instead.

I'm normally relaxed about my incontinence and this should be a routine issue, but this morning I've been wrestling with a number of emotions. I'm feeling disappointed that my control problems are continuing to get worse, even with taking medication and using the toilet when possible. If this continues at this pace, I'll be lucky if I don't end up in taped diapers 24/7 with zero control before I'm 30.

I should point out my control issues are caused by a neurological illness which I developed in my teens and also left me in chronic nerve pain and unable to walk very far, so I know I shouldn't be too harsh on myself, but I do value what control I do have and to see it being taken away from me bit by bit is scary for me. What's worse is that no-one is able to help me give advice, as this illness is rare and incontinence is not a common symptom of it. It's taken me ten and a half years to get a diagnosis over why my control was worsening and they've already said there's nothing they can do, except wear thicker nappies or use a catheter. That gives you an idea of how unknown this is.

Honestly, I don't know why this is a issue for me, but it is. I've spent enough years mourning what I have lost and I was becoming more confident and secure about my condition, and now this happens. I think it's because I'm afraid of being rejected because of my nappies but considering I need a wheelchair too, you would think adjusting to wearing nappies much more easily by comparison. It also helps that most people are quite accepting of wearing nappies if you're visibly disabled.

I just need to relax and trust my nappies to keep me dry. This really isn't a big deal unless you make it one. Compared to other things I've faced it's not much, even if it becomes full-blown double incontinence. But I've now realised that I've worn nappies my whole adult life, and I'm now going to be in them for the rest of my life too. And I'm finding that hard to deal with.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

Welcome to the club no one wants or asks to join,your right though if you look like a broken toy ,people are pretty chill ,back in the god olde days of a halfway decent diaper in most stores ,if I was anywhere near the diaper section people would pop out of the wood work to help me find "my size and brand" and telling me they are cheaper by the case but hey just give me your address and I can bring them over , people where very accommodating and considerate there is no diaper stigma for peeps in wheelchairs ,people wrongly assume everybody in chairs use diapers. So your my favorite flavor of peep rare disease or "the medical mystery tour" I'm at the head of the fascinating freaks section ,i am somewhere between a medical terrorist and amazing patient , many doctors are scared as he'll of a "zebra" and then theres those doctors who realy know you and are your fiercest supporters and would gladly trade any ten average everyday patient for one like us ,and you don't know which one it's gonna be that's in your corner and which one will just about throw you in front of train because they dont understand your disease your pain and the rabbit hole your life is falling into , those are the ones that pissed me off because they know your an expert on you ,and your disease and absolutely dont want to learn .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I usually wear my tena maxis all the time now.

Welcome to the thicker diaper club as Tetra has said its a club we wish we did not have to join but the reduction of stress and worry a thicker absorbant diaper brings is worth it, I trust my betterdry diaper to do its job and after being a member for a few years I no longer notice the extra bulk of the diaper.

It's tough when the control you thought you had suddenly is not there...like driving a car and realizing the controls no longer work, you just have to hang tight and hope for the best!

I resort to buying my own night time ones the I'd slip supers tend to do a good job of containing night time leaks. I get supplied like you with 2 boxes of tena slip plus and one box of tena slip super which are supposed to be for night well tena versus I'd slip they just don't match up I'd seems to be double absorption at half the price which seems better it's a shame the NHS haven't cottoned on as tena seem expensive and rubbish, I normally just throw a baby nappy inside of the tena plus to absorb some leakage then I quickly pull it out and can resume my day without needing a full change. While I'm greatful they supply me with free nappies I can't get my head round why they have to be tena

Pongoandperdi15 said:
I resort to buying my own night time ones the I'd slip supers tend to do a good job of containing night time leaks. I get supplied like you with 2 boxes of tena slip plus and one box of tena slip super which are supposed to be for night well tena versus I'd slip they just don't match up I'd seems to be double absorption at half the price which seems better it's a shame the NHS haven't cottoned on as tena seem expensive and rubbish, I normally just throw a baby nappy inside of the tena plus to absorb some leakage then I quickly pull it out and can resume my day without needing a full change. While I'm greatful they supply me with free nappies I can't get my head round why they have to be tena
I get tena maxi slips provided by the NHS for night time use. I find them OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back