The cost of wearing 24/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhotographer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
I’m courious on what people spend to be diapered 24/7. I did some math and figured out how much it would cost me if I were to go 24/7 after college. If I had 3 changes a day with 2 daytime diapers and 1 thicker one for night, it would cost me about 1500 a year. This is just with diapers I can get off north shore care, so none of the fun stuff from places like abu, rearz, bambino, etc.

So now that I know how much it would cost me if I went 24/7 I was wondering if anyone wanted to share how much they spend on diapers per year.

ThePhotographer said:
I’m courious on what people spend to be diapered 24/7. I did some math and figured out how much it would cost me if I were to go 24/7 after college. If I had 3 changes a day with 2 daytime diapers and 1 thicker one for night, it would cost me about 1500 a year. This is just with diapers I can get off north shore care, so none of the fun stuff from places like abu, rearz, bambino, etc.

So now that I know how much it would cost me if I went 24/7 I was wondering if anyone wanted to share how much they spend on diapers per year.

That sounds about right... It's pretty pricey to go 24/7. I know I couldn't afford it. Figure, even with Abena M4s at about $1.25 a piece, round up to 4 a day at $5 total per day. That's right about $1800 a year.... Not including wipes, powder, or creams.

It only goes up from there if you go with anything fancier than M4s.

The cheapest cost per dipe I've found was the selects on northshore for $0.95 each and I think you'd probably need to fluff your number of changes some if you are prone to any sort of occasional tummy upset. If you're in them 24/7 you probably won't want to go with the cheapest diapers.

After adding in stuff like barrier, powder, a pair of plastic pants here and there and diapers at an average of 4/day, it costs me between $90.00 and $120.00 a month. To me the expense is just a part of life, I want to be diapered and this is just a part of that. I feel like I don’t have a choice and I’m lucky enough to have the means to pay for it

4 to 5 a day is more reasonable, unless you have a very sedentary lifestyle. People who are retired or homebound might be able to do 3 a day, but people who go out to work, and go out to places after work are going to need to change more often.

You can go cheap on diapers, but there is a hidden cost to "cheap." How much will it cost you if you ever leak? It's not just a social death sentence, it can impact your job and your life in other, unseen ways. Suppose your Boss finds out you wear diapers because your diaper leaked all over the chair in a business meeting. He probably won't fire you, since that would be illegal. But 3 years later when you're late to work one morning because you got caught behind a traffic snarl, he might decide not to cut you any slack and fire you. Diapers that are less likely to leak only cost more up front. They might be cheaper than the alternative.

I am lucky I get some supplies via he NHS continence service and usually top them up from deals on ebay so probably only spend £20 a month on nappies or pads etc.

I spend a average of $200 a month on diapers from north shore and ABU, the cost of being in diapers 24/7 is far less than going out on the town one night every weekend where you could spend as little as $50 or as much as a months worth of diapers.

I usually do 3-4 diapers a day. One higher capacity premium for overnight, one good daytime diaper (bui;ders or preschool) plus 1-2 whatever for late afternoon / evening around the house.

Costs me roughly $100/mo. I wear Northshore Supremes mostly, but the cost per month can go up if I decide to indulge in fancy printed diapers to make it more interesting. I do like to add variety in from time to time, wearing the same underwear every night and day tends to get a bit boring, haha. I don't use any creams, powders, or diaper covers, as my skin doesn't really care either way. On the rare occasions that I start to get a bit of a diaper rash (normally if I wear a diaper that doesn't adequately keep moisture away from my skin, or if I get stuck in a situation where I can't change), I have a tube of Balmex Adultcare rash cream that always fixes me up in a day or two. I use it so infrequently though, I've had the same tube for years.

- - - Updated - - -

Addition: I wear 2-3 diapers a day to manage my incontinence.

I usually only go through about 2-3 diapers in a day. If I CAN make it to the bathroom, I'll go there. If I can't, uh oh. :p

I've never added up how much I spend a month. But I'm still working on those Crinklz I ordered LAST month. LOL (I wear those at night mostly) And I have a box of Tena Overnight pull-ups that I wear during the day at work (for now) and those cost me like...$20?

NeverKnow said:
I think if I were 24/7, I'd need three diapers during the day and one at night. I feel safest from leaks in small Dry 24/7s, but I guess because I am sizing down, the capacity is not huge and I go through them pretty quickly. (And I drink a lot of coffee in the morning and accordingly need to drink a lot of water to make sure I don't smell.) On days where I'm not really out of the house though I could get down to two diapers if I wear Crinklz or something else in that tier of capacity.

Booster pads work great for that, and are much cheaper per oz of absorbency than changing into a whole new diaper. I'll normally wear one overnight, and sometimes one when I'm not going to be able to change for a while and need a diaper to last extra long.

I've stopped counting but IIRC the last time I analyzed it, I reckoned on £7-8 per day overall. This includes all consumables: nappies boosters, wipes etc and their shipping, replacement of plastic pants and support undies, extra laundry and every other factor I could think of. It is probably more like £9-10 now that I never use less than a Tena Slip Ultima and my go-to is a Betterdry. My life has a very variable schedule and pace due to the nature of my work and social activities and this is partly responsible for a relatively high number of changes per day. A quiet day with low fluid intake and no wasted changes might get by with four nappies, but if additional changes are needed for travel / meetings / safety, and/or I need to mess at inopportune moments such as soon after a change, then seven changes a day is not uncommon. As Foxroxsox mentions, the risk of leaks in certain working environments can make any attempt to cut costs a false economy; I have to err on the side of safety and put up with the cost. But actually it's a bargain; what else could offer 24 hours of pleasure and comfort for just £9?

Yeah fecal incontinence (or just wearing and never using the toilet) will definitely double or maybe even triple the costs, as when you mess, you gotta change whether or not your diaper has reached a fair amount of absorbency used, and barrier creams, plastic pants, etc aren’t quite as optional as when you’re only urinary incon. As others have said, I also still use the bathroom whenever I can, but it’s about an even split whether my urine ends up in the diaper or the toilet.

Hi, I were pretty close to 24 seven this would be using mostly abena m4. Let’s say I go through 3 to 4 diapers a day which puts me at a three cases a month and then you factor in the cost of wipes cream powder and bed pads and I would estimate that the total for the year is about 2000$. Yes it’s hard for me to afford this being on limited income and only having a part-time job but at least I am able to afford the stuff that I now feel that I need there lots of people disabilities that don’t get the stuff that they need covered and for most of us most insurance wouldn’t cover of the good diapers that we know we need which defeats the entire purpose anyways so I’m sure we are most likely left to have to afford the good stuff with our own money anyways, but I make it work.

Actual costs here, I use a budget (in reverse - what did I spend vs. what did I intend to....) I'm full time 24/7, mess only at home. I like my diapers to be practical (not 7 changes a day for fears of leaks!) and am prone to purchasing printed diapers, not plain medical ones. Here's the total costs from my software:

$2,263 2017
$2,313 2016
$2,407 2015
$3,149 2014
$1,541 2013
$3,240 2012
$2,843 2011
$2,810 2010

Caveat: When on sale, I stock up, I know I'll use them (See 2012 - 2014...), I reported on 1/1/year to 12/31/year for each year - that's the time the expense was made, not utilized. I could go back further...

Interesting trend, with thicker, better diapers I've spent less over the year recently. Earlier years the diapers wern't as absorbent and had to be changed more often is my guess...

I spend over $250 per month on diapers and supplies some times more unfortunately dealing Incontinence issues is not cheap.

In a way I try to avoid thinking about the cost too much, having calculated it carefully and decided that it's worthwhile. There are times when it seems extravagant, such as when changing two or three times in a row when a mess happens straight after a change, so I change again, then realise I hadn't finished and make another mess demanding yet another change. It can seem like 'wasting' nappies just for the sake of it, but on balance those moments are the exception and the cost is mainly down to the 4-5 regular changes needed through the day. The nappies are there to answer my calls of nature, not the other way round, so the cost is what it is. The freedom it buys is an integral part of the pleasure.

Cost will depend on what you wear. Last week I did 24/7 (for 8 days) and it only cost $7 since I use cloth diapers (this is the cost of 4 loads of diapers in the washing machines downstairs 1.75 a load, I have a rack I hang the diapers to dry in my apt, so I don't have to pay the drying cost), I only had to pay the washing cost, as the diapers are reusable. I usually go all day Thursday to Saturday, and normal undies Sunday to Wed. as I go for my cloth diapers first the cost is not that great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back