Are parents becoming more senseless/lazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't disagree with the belt/hand method but all I'm saying is its not that simple especially when you are out in public with child abuse laws. The belt/hand method I believe is an every other generation method were people it was used on don't like it but people who it wasn't used on do like the method. But again about the technology I would love to watch you struggle to cut everything in your life with a rock. You're clothes would look terrible your hair would be choppy it's just not and efficient way of doing things and the wetness indicator on bigger diapers help in situations were the parent might be cooking and doesn't want to get anything on there hands. And also times change you just sound like an ignorant old man

Skaterboy said:
Well, he didn't even know how to talk, and he wasn't circumcised, so I thought those two things were horrible parenting.

What's horrible about leaving the boy's foreskin intact?

xpluswearer said:
1. Baby Monitors
2. wet bed monitors
3. Apps on your I phone or I pad or smart phone with a sensor placed in diaper to signal a change is needed.
4. computers in general.
5. cameras.
6. shopping services.
7. delivery services.
8. nanny's
9. day care services.
10. Apps for living and lifestyle and parenting.
11. automatic swings and automatic style toys.
12. Televisions and gaming consoles.
13. online and app games.
14. apps for learning such as hooked on phonics and leapfrog If that is what its called.
gee shall I continue....
As far as larger diapers for children there are a need and that ONLY need is for truly incontinent children not lazy parents whom keep kids in diapers just to not potty train the kids oh boo hoo you may have to wash a few extra loads of laundry or do some additional work would not want to take your face away from your I phone now would we huh? or you partaking in your bad habits now would we? or your work oh god forbid you have to come home and deal with being a parent now huh? If you cannot handle being a parent then you must stop having sexual intercourse practice abstinence purchase condoms or get fixed! Being a parent is a huge and massive responsibility for the rest of your life hope you know that before you get in bed.

1. Been around a LONG time, in the past they tied a string to the child with a bell to know if the child woke up. While the tech is making it BETTER something to alert parents to an awake child has been around centuries.

2. Again, something that's nice but not necessary and is just a way for tech companies to try to make money. Another thing that's only truly needed for special needs that impact a childs ability to cry but doesn't hurt other children that have parents gullible enough to buy it.

3. Never even seen this but cool I guess. I could also see this product being useful for children with vocal limitations such as extreme cleft palates.

4. What do computers in general have to do with parent-themed tech? Also not something that has to do with parents TODAY...plenty of parents of today had home computers in their homes when they were born.

5. okay? What did the big bad camera do to you because those have been around since my great great grandparents time? Nothing to do with parenting getting "lazy" now like is being claimed.

6. Shopping services have been around in metropolitan areas since before cars were a thing.

7. AGain, delivery services (especially diaper services) were performed with horse and buggy. No relation to laziness they are a sensible service if you can afford it.

8. People who could afford it having other people care for their kids goes back as far as recorded time.

9. Again, available to our parents grandparents etc. They are only more prevalent in the US now because the economy makes it very difficult to survive and thrive on 1 income. It's not lazy to have to go to work and therefore need to use a day care service.

10. Today they are apps, to our grandparents it was magazines and newspaper articles, further back, depending on ethnicity, was likely oral tales told by an elder. People look at, read, and listen to things they are interested in and parents tend to be interested in parenting. Not sure how casual research is lazy.

11. Another thing our parents and some of our grandparents had, before that people used rockers that they could use a minimal amount of pressure to rock or various inventive ways of rocking such as tieing the rocker to a tree branch when windy. Parents don't generally use products like this to be lazy, they do it because they are multitasking to get the basics of life done. That extra load of laundry (more like 2-4 imo) has to get done sometime, along with all the other tasks that need done when you're getting minimal sleep.

12. Another product that has been around way too long to claim it's affecting parenting TODAY. Are you from the past? Half this list might have been viable in the 40s. As long as the things put on the screen are educational and age-appropriate a little screen time is not the end of the world. Parents today are using tv a LOT less than they did when those parents were kids on average.

13. Todays online game was yesterdays ball on a string attached to a paddle or, again depending on ethnicity, the pasts give kid flint and granite and watch their laughable attempt at an arrowhead. Both promote hand-eye coordination, the difference is most children's games today have some form of educational element to them again like the arrowhead did and the paddle didn't. It's not more or less lazy, it again falls into the "get the kid to do something so I can try to keep up with the mess" that has existed for as long as human children have.

14. So you'd rather we waste paper again? (aside from the fact that HoP was a vcr tape and before that cassette tape program) How is teaching children lazy???? You make absolutely no sense with this one. Teaching is lazy now? What?

Maybe you didn't mean this to come off as personal against me but if so you're wayyyyy off the mark. I mention special needs so much because I do have a special needs child, he did need to be in diapers longer and I honestly wish I'd found the abdl lifestyle sooner because I would have had a much easier time finding larger size dipes for him. As it was we used cloth for most of the time he was in dipes (until 5) so I did a lot more than 1 extra load of laundry per day and didn't even have a smartphone or internet at the time. It's real easy to sit at your computer and judge parents you don't know isn't it? My son went (and sometimes still has to go) with me to work, I'm just thankful I have a job where that's a possibility and was able to homeschool him until he was able to go to school without extra stress (many elements of public school were very difficult for him). If you think people who can't parent without the things you listed, especially day care, should not have sex and get fixed maybe people who can't comment on the internet without attacking people should get their fingers fixed. Also it's amazing to me that we are on a DIAPER forum and you're equating using diapers, especially on special needs, with being lazy...do you wear them because you are too lazy to use the toilet?

Reactions: TheWolfEmperor and chamberpot
Feyranna said:
1. Been around a LONG time, in the past they tied a string to the child with a bell to know if the child woke up. While the tech is making it BETTER something to alert parents to an awake child has been around centuries.

2. Again, something that's nice but not necessary and is just a way for tech companies to try to make money. Another thing that's only truly needed for special needs that impact a childs ability to cry but doesn't hurt other children that have parents gullible enough to buy it.

3. Never even seen this but cool I guess. I could also see this product being useful for children with vocal limitations such as extreme cleft palates.

4. What do computers in general have to do with parent-themed tech? Also not something that has to do with parents TODAY...plenty of parents of today had home computers in their homes when they were born.

5. okay? What did the big bad camera do to you because those have been around since my great great grandparents time? Nothing to do with parenting getting "lazy" now like is being claimed.

6. Shopping services have been around in metropolitan areas since before cars were a thing.

7. AGain, delivery services (especially diaper services) were performed with horse and buggy. No relation to laziness they are a sensible service if you can afford it.

8. People who could afford it having other people care for their kids goes back as far as recorded time.

9. Again, available to our parents grandparents etc. They are only more prevalent in the US now because the economy makes it very difficult to survive and thrive on 1 income. It's not lazy to have to go to work and therefore need to use a day care service.

10. Today they are apps, to our grandparents it was magazines and newspaper articles, further back, depending on ethnicity, was likely oral tales told by an elder. People look at, read, and listen to things they are interested in and parents tend to be interested in parenting. Not sure how casual research is lazy.

11. Another thing our parents and some of our grandparents had, before that people used rockers that they could use a minimal amount of pressure to rock or various inventive ways of rocking such as tieing the rocker to a tree branch when windy. Parents don't generally use products like this to be lazy, they do it because they are multitasking to get the basics of life done. That extra load of laundry (more like 2-4 imo) has to get done sometime, along with all the other tasks that need done when you're getting minimal sleep.

12. Another product that has been around way too long to claim it's affecting parenting TODAY. Are you from the past? Half this list might have been viable in the 40s. As long as the things put on the screen are educational and age-appropriate a little screen time is not the end of the world. Parents today are using tv a LOT less than they did when those parents were kids on average.

13. Todays online game was yesterdays ball on a string attached to a paddle or, again depending on ethnicity, the pasts give kid flint and granite and watch their laughable attempt at an arrowhead. Both promote hand-eye coordination, the difference is most children's games today have some form of educational element to them again like the arrowhead did and the paddle didn't. It's not more or less lazy, it again falls into the "get the kid to do something so I can try to keep up with the mess" that has existed for as long as human children have.

14. So you'd rather we waste paper again? (aside from the fact that HoP was a vcr tape and before that cassette tape program) How is teaching children lazy???? You make absolutely no sense with this one. Teaching is lazy now? What?

Maybe you didn't mean this to come off as personal against me but if so you're wayyyyy off the mark. I mention special needs so much because I do have a special needs child, he did need to be in diapers longer and I honestly wish I'd found the abdl lifestyle sooner because I would have had a much easier time finding larger size dipes for him. As it was we used cloth for most of the time he was in dipes (until 5) so I did a lot more than 1 extra load of laundry per day and didn't even have a smartphone or internet at the time. It's real easy to sit at your computer and judge parents you don't know isn't it? My son went (and sometimes still has to go) with me to work, I'm just thankful I have a job where that's a possibility and was able to homeschool him until he was able to go to school without extra stress (many elements of public school were very difficult for him). If you think people who can't parent without the things you listed, especially day care, should not have sex and get fixed maybe people who can't comment on the internet without attacking people should get their fingers fixed. Also it's amazing to me that we are on a DIAPER forum and you're equating using diapers, especially on special needs, with being lazy...do you wear them because you are too lazy to use the toilet?

1. Parents have to be light sleepers and have to check on your child in the crib or bed a couple times a night that is what they call parenting. It means getting out of bed and actually walking to the childs room and checking on them. Using tech or the string and bell thing is being lazy!
2. Tech has everything to do with being lazy. Using your computer to do your thinking and research and to run your life is just flat out lazy!
3. Cameras are again something that are making people just sit in one place and not move at all. just a click on the computer or looking at the app on your iphone or smartphone when you should be up and actually seeing with your own two eyes and ears there are things that a camera cannot pick up that being there in person you can catch.
4. Shopping services are not here I only know of them when I went to the big city for vacations. Services such as Stop & Shop Peapod or Amazon pantry are again just making you lazy as not to go to the store yourself and walk the aisles and pick up the groceries yourself! Wonder why the world is getting fat not that I should not toss stones at glass houses since I am overweight a bit myself here due to me overeating because of stress. Anywho it is utterly lazy. Who knows you may meet a long lost classmate at the store or a friend that you have lost touch with over the years or even your next relationship that leads to marriage. Where I am at there are no diaper delivery services except for those that you order from online and you get them via the brown (UPS)or white ( FEDEX) bread truck that backs into your driveway.

5. Your priority in life as a parent comes first. Your family second your friends third and your career last FYI. Sure you need money to live on but these priorities comes first in said above order.
6. The apps have made life in general just flat our lazy. Oh there is a app for that I believe LOL.
7. Yes I say use paper. Using paper you have to be active and handwriting and doing math on paper is being forced out which is a travesty! Did not say it was wrong to learn just do not use a computer for it. Go to the library which means getting out of the house going down to the library pulling out books or newspaper or other research media such as microfiche and use the Dewey Decimal System to find a book for once. It took doing physical activity to use the card catalog to find your book. A computer is last resort in my view its just a tool not just the sole source for everything.
8. Not judging your parenting just to let you know this was said as a general broadcast statement nothing more. As far as day care goes your mother or grandmother was the daycare at least in my family. They loved to watch us kids when we were growing up. Oh how I miss those big meals both grandmothers would put on for us and for one grandmother fried bread dough AKA Doughgods. with maple syurp & Parkay. And who would not love making a sandwich with slices of bread that was dense and hearty or make toast and load the toast with butter to make the bread soggy top that with apple butter too YUM! Oh how school was hard for me wearing diapers but I got through it and here to talk to you today just fine. Your child did not have to wear the old green backed Depends or the older versions of Attends Fitted Briefs that had so much perfume in them that if you were in a classroom by the end of the hour the whole room smelled like a diaper. Or having Physical Education class and having to change your diaper in the locker room oh well I lived thru it did I .... uh Yep.
As far as my situation No I am not lazy its my bladder that is kaput and I have no warning of when I go or anything I am totally bladder incontinent so therefore I need protection its not my choice mind you. As you have read in my other threads I have commented on I have bad reactions to anesthesia and have medical phobias about procedures and have needle phobias also so guess what operating is not a option unless its life saving surgery such as cardiac issues. Thank you for asking ...
So in closing I live in a very rural area where its like going back in time uh lets say 30-40 years. We are lucky to have internet and phone service. And therefore the stuff you take for granted in the big city its unheard of here only to be read about in magazines or newspapers or in internet ads saying getting your shopping done for you at Wal Mart or Meijer or Amazon.

xpluswearer said:
1. Parents have to be light sleepers and have to check on your child in the crib or bed a couple times a night that is what they call parenting. It means getting out of bed and actually walking to the childs room and checking on them. Using tech or the string and bell thing is being lazy!

Not all sound sleepers suddenly become wakeup-in-a-pindrop people when they have a kid. Some of us need an alarm etc.
2. Tech has everything to do with being lazy. Using your computer to do your thinking and research and to run your life is just flat out lazy!

(and 3. and 4. etc)

Almost every part of your life is being made easy by tech right now. Go "Full Amish" and then I'll take you seriously. Ditch the electricity and the gas for a week just for a taste. That's not "lazy", that's "modern convenience". One man's "lazy" can easily be another man's "convenient", or vice-versa.
As far as my situation No I am not lazy its my bladder that is kaput and I have no warning of when I go or anything I am totally bladder incontinent so therefore I need protection its not my choice mind you.

Who's to say who has the acceptable justification to call something "convenience" vs "being lazy"? It's not black-and-white - it's all a matter of degrees, and it even changes with time. Forty years ago someone that was IC might look at you in your disposable diapers and be disgusted by your "laziness" of not wearing cloth and all the extra work that comes with it. It's all a matter of perspective.

Reactions: TheWolfEmperor
goodnites24 said:
I don't disagree with the belt/hand method but all I'm saying is its not that simple especially when you are out in public with child abuse laws. The belt/hand method I believe is an every other generation method were people it was used on don't like it but people who it wasn't used on do like the method. But again about the technology I would love to watch you struggle to cut everything in your life with a rock. You're clothes would look terrible your hair would be choppy it's just not and efficient way of doing things and the wetness indicator on bigger diapers help in situations were the parent might be cooking and doesn't want to get anything on there hands. And also times change you just sound like an ignorant old man
I hated the whuppins with the belt or the hand especially my father's hand which is the size of a frying pan! and Grandparents say go and get a stick off the old willow tree and if you bring back one that breaks you get twice as much if I have to go and get one for you that was effective in itself getting 10 whacks were far better than 20 guarantee you that. You learn fast not to misbehave since you will not be able to sit properly for a couple of days makes you become a model kid in a short matter of time. And you got no choice bare bottom and fingers touch the toes and you stay that way until its done or you get more and crying was a auto 5 more FYI.

What hair LOL I have a shaved head yes I could use a straight blade to do it just I will have to have 2 units of blood on standby for the knicks to the scalp I do on the back of the noggin. By the way I find that clothes come out better from a old wringer washer than the current modern washers and the older dryers dry clothes 2 times faster and hotter too. I have never had so many missing buttons and torn clothes from these new fang dangled front load washers. wringer washers got more water out of the clothes too meaning shorter drying times also. instead of the hour and 20 minutes of drying time now or the hour in the washer some advancement huh?

As far as the cutting everything with a rock uh I can cut meat fruits and veggies just fine survival skills you learn by the way.
by the way here is the sensor I was talking about :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBrTlZEMAuw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EswHWn95Yqw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzDp1sBruGI

- - - Updated - - -

bambinod said:
Not all sound sleepers suddenly become wakeup-in-a-pindrop people when they have a kid. Some of us need an alarm etc.

Almost every part of your life is being made easy by tech right now. Go "Full Amish" and then I'll take you seriously. Ditch the electricity and the gas for a week just for a taste. That's not "lazy", that's "modern convenience". One man's "lazy" can easily be another man's "convenient", or vice-versa.

Who's to say who has the acceptable justification to call something "convenience" vs "being lazy"? It's not black-and-white - it's all a matter of degrees, and it even changes with time. Forty years ago someone that was IC might look at you in your disposable diapers and be disgusted by your "laziness" of not wearing cloth and all the extra work that comes with it. It's all a matter of perspective.

Oh I have when parents did not have enough money to pay the bills during a economic downturn the electric and gas were the first things to get shut off and thank god we had a hand pump as a backup for our well. Also at one grandparents house they had a out house to use and between the bees and snakes it was a adventure using the toilet and the occasional splinter on the backside which was hell trying to remove. Thank god my father had the forethought to put in a wood stove that we could use for hot water heating and cooking food on or in and we could use the root cellar in the basement for a fridge since it was a bone chilling 37 degrees in it . and thank heavens for the battery operated lights we had too. And we had to get down the galvenized tub to do laundry in with the washboard and tell you that was a workout but we err I made it thru it to sit here to speak to you here. Same tub was used to wash up in too. we lived like that for 2 and half weeks so does that qualify?

How do you still not get that you're sitting there (on a computer that you hate so much!) being thankful for things that were at one time modern conveniences.

You claim you want to cling to ways of the past but it has to be your specific choice of past (dewey decimal for example) it isn't logical at all and has absolutely nothing to do with laziness or lack thereof.

Kids are getting bigger is why. People are getting bigger too. So companies have to make bigger diapers for those kids who cannot fit into size 4 or 5 diapers. It's supply and demand. Many stores do not sell a size 7 anymore because I am guessing they don't sell them enough. You have to order them online now. I have heard of a rumor they are making a size 8 now but that is maybe for Europe. I have not seen size 8s here yet.

Also bigger diapers can be used on special needs kids and on kids who bed wet.

And people from each generation thinks parents have gotten worse and kids too.

- - - Updated - - -

BabyTyrant said:
And I've seen kids that look like they are alone, with no adults in sight just roaming around town and doing as they please and some seemed as young as only a few years old (not fully dressed); probably Welfare Kids.

I don't think this is anything new. I remember being a kid and lot of us played outside alone in our neighborhood. My mom still checked up on us. Then when I lived in a small town, it was normal to see elementary kids wander around town with no adult and this is normal in small town life. In fact it seems like a crime today to have your kids play by themselves or even be outside by themselves and leave by themselves.

Parents are just adapting to the changing environment like everyone else, and they welcome new technology. This is a good thing because I plan on inventing a diaper changing robot, guaranteed to be 99% safe for your precious little one. People need not be afraid of new technology. Many people thought television would have a bad effect on us but I was practically raised in front of a TV set and obviously ... um ...I ... (where was I going with this?)

I saw an article on an app that would alert parents to why their child is crying. The catch? It was invented for deaf parents. So they could KNOW that their child was crying. Apparently the pitch/length of the cries is a clue to what is wrong. IE: The baby wants changing or the baby is feeling sick or in pain.

And so I wonder how much of this stuff that's being attributed to 'lazy parenting' is, in fact, to help out parents that are disabled? I used to work with folks like that and I can imagine looking for a wetness indicator is easier for some of them than the old "Pick the baby up and sniff/poke at their diaper" test. Considering that some of them lacked the dexterity to do something like that without dropping the wiggling infant.

xpluswearer said:
One piece of rock that can be used to cut food sometimes better than a knife in my opinion. Or a piece of wood can be used or better yet the end off a tin can can be used as a knife. Of course ye ole Boy Scout comes prepared.... Other than that Yes parents have become lazy. Using tech for baby setting for child sleeping and using life apps on I phones or smartphones to run your lives. Tell ya what If I had kids now a days they would NOT be getting any tech at all, No TV nothing. They will be doing what kids did in yesteryear going outdoors and doing things that will occupy their time and minds and yes they will have chores or tasks to do all day long in the summer if they are not of working age to work in society then they will work at home. Oh and yes I will use the belt or my hand if i had to to keep the kid in line too. Parents now need instructions on how to parent seems funny how for 200 plus years parents did not need such rubbish to parent...

Wow, I would hate to be your child. To "use the belt or my hand" doesn't make you an awesome parent, it just makes you abusive. Of course kids can have chores, but they also need time to explore, play, be a child and not a mini-worker.
Also, do you really believe a rock is better than a knife at cutting food? What kind of knives are you using?

I agree on the whole 'get a tweet when your baby goes #2' like can't you smell it? Also you should change your baby roughly every 3 hours, at least that's the policy in almost every nursery in the UK. Things like a wetness indicator isn't a bad thing, just to tell the parent it might need changing. Also children are, on average, bigger than in the past, in terms of both weight and height so bigger diapers are needed. Let's not forget children with learning difficulties, they're more common nowadays too, again the need for bigger diapers is there. There are a whole load of factors, more than I've mentioned.

So... as a parent of three children myself that are now almost all grown adults and on their way to their own independent lives, might I share a few insights here?

Wetness indicators - probably quite unnecessary for parents and we didn't have them when raising my kids. But I certainly can see how such technology would be helpful at a daycare where there are lots of children and it could make things easier for checking who needs to be changed.

And as for anything that might help know if there is a number two in there...

The ol' smell test was of course pretty reliable, but not every time it was as obvious as you might think it would be. So, without going into the intricate and sometimes humorous details of how this was determined, I can say that any technology that might spare one from having poop on their fingers is not a bad idea.

If you think that using technology to help be a parent is being lazy, then I guess you might as well give up driving a car, as people used to get around successfully without them for all but the last 130 years or so. I guess we are all lazy because we don't just walk to the store and to work, or ride horses or the like. --which as a cowboy I would not fret about, but I don't think many here on this site would appreciate.

Would I use all of the new technology that is out there if I was just becoming a Dad and know what I know now? My answer is that no, I wouldn't use all of it, but I wouldn't be afraid to use things that might truly make life easier if it seemed not wasteful in regards to the cost-benefit of doing so.

If the technology helps you to better and more easily do your work, and is not cost-prohibitive, then why not use it?

I'm 71 and raising a grandchild. Effectively third batch of kids. First three girls, a 14 year gap, another girl. Then that girl had my grandson. I do have a paddle and use it rarely. My first three were paddled a lot more. But that is not the clue to today's challenges. It is a lack of confidence in directing the child. They are people but junior members of humanity, lacking experience and the wisdom that comes with it. When I was a child, mothers decided when the child was potty trained not the child. and they had the support of their mothers and grandmothers. Modern parents don't have that support as supposedly the rules have changed. Children need to be controlled first later learn to make small decisions and grow on. But they need to know there are limits and parents who won't let them get beyond the limits

I'm pretty sure the tweet diapers were a joke? I could be wrong. There has always been diapers for bigger kids, because while yes parents are not potty training their kids as quick anymore, you do have kids with special needs so there is a small but constant market. While IMO there are lazy parents, a big issue is with modern society both parents are expected to work full time meaning children have to spend more time in childcare who don't teach them to use the toilet normally.

woodenpotty said:
I'm 71 and raising a grandchild. Effectively third batch of kids. First three girls, a 14 year gap, another girl. Then that girl had my grandson. I do have a paddle and use it rarely. My first three were paddled a lot more. But that is not the clue to today's challenges. It is a lack of confidence in directing the child. They are people but junior members of humanity, lacking experience and the wisdom that comes with it. When I was a child, mothers decided when the child was potty trained not the child. and they had the support of their mothers and grandmothers. Modern parents don't have that support as supposedly the rules have changed. Children need to be controlled first later learn to make small decisions and grow on. But they need to know there are limits and parents who won't let them get beyond the limits

From my experience, you can't force a kid out of diapers so I wonder what magic they used then to get a kid to just start going in the potty than in their pants? How were the stubborn ones handled? A child who refuses to go in the potty or sit on it and just keep going in their pants.

- - - Updated - - -

PufftheButt said:
I'm pretty sure the tweet diapers were a joke? I could be wrong. There has always been diapers for bigger kids, because while yes parents are not potty training their kids as quick anymore, you do have kids with special needs so there is a small but constant market. While IMO there are lazy parents, a big issue is with modern society both parents are expected to work full time meaning children have to spend more time in childcare who don't teach them to use the toilet normally.

Childcare places do require kids to be out of diapers before age 3. That is also the rule for preschool too.

Last edited:
From my experience, you can force a kid out of diapers so I wonder what magic they used then to get a kid to just start going in the potty than in their pants? How were the stubborn ones handled? A child who refuses to go in the potty or sit on it and just keep going in their pants.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the 1950s methods (no longer politically correct). First one that even has meaning today, starting early. A child before age two is much more interested in pleasing the parents than after the "terrible twos" hit. .
My mother's comment was "You are training the parent as much as the child." Children will have patterns even without conscious awareness. Many children will poop after breakfast. So you put them on the potty at the times when things are likely to happen. They then get accustomed to doing things in the pot and the mother has less diapers to wash. Not truly trained in that they can't tell you of an need to potty.
If the child wasn't regular, then the next phase was to get them to poop at a regular time. A matter of fact even as older children we were expected to poop once a day. So they would administer an enema or suppository. And then the trainee did use the potty. This was repeated as often as they thought necessary. Soon the child was in a routine. So stubborn children had to poop like it or not.
Pee training usually started a little later and the child went on the potty at regular intervals. They stayed there until they peed. Even if it took quite a while. I had a cousin who was very stubborn. I remember she would stay long enough, her mother would feed her while she was on the potty.
After a while, if they weren't using the potty; dirty diapers, got you spanked. My mother commented about my aunt. "She would spank them on a loaded diaper." "It just makes clean up harder." At my house you would get it on a clean, moist butt. She had no problem with the spanking part.
They got it done rather early and rapidly. By any method.

woodenpotty said:
From my experience, you can force a kid out of diapers so I wonder what magic they used then to get a kid to just start going in the potty than in their pants? How were the stubborn ones handled? A child who refuses to go in the potty or sit on it and just keep going in their pants.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the 1950s methods (no longer politically correct). First one that even has meaning today, starting early. A child before age two is much more interested in pleasing the parents than after the "terrible twos" hit. .
My mother's comment was "You are training the parent as much as the child." Children will have patterns even without conscious awareness. Many children will poop after breakfast. So you put them on the potty at the times when things are likely to happen. They then get accustomed to doing things in the pot and the mother has less diapers to wash. Not truly trained in that they can't tell you of an need to potty.
If the child wasn't regular, then the next phase was to get them to poop at a regular time. A matter of fact even as older children we were expected to poop once a day. So they would administer an enema or suppository. And then the trainee did use the potty. This was repeated as often as they thought necessary. Soon the child was in a routine. So stubborn children had to poop like it or not.
Pee training usually started a little later and the child went on the potty at regular intervals. They stayed there until they peed. Even if it took quite a while. I had a cousin who was very stubborn. I remember she would stay long enough, her mother would feed her while she was on the potty.
After a while, if they weren't using the potty; dirty diapers, got you spanked. My mother commented about my aunt. "She would spank them on a loaded diaper." "It just makes clean up harder." At my house you would get it on a clean, moist butt. She had no problem with the spanking part.
They got it done rather early and rapidly. By any method.

My mom tried the no off the toilet method with me and that didn't work and why she didn't just hold me down was beyond me. I would just stand up and pee my pants whenever I felt the urge I had to go and then sit back down on the potty and she just didn't hold me down to keep me on it when I would try and stand up. My husband thinks she didn't want to traumatize me. I wonder how parents handled children back then who wouldn't sit on the potty? Hold them on it, tie them down on it? I found out that was what those trays were for, to keep the child in. I thought it was just for them to do activities on it or to eat or drink something and put their cup on it. My potty chair had one of those trays.

thayer with bunny and kite.JPG
The old time potty chairs had either a seat belt or a tray. The better ones had both. And the the child was usually secured in the chair. Although some moms didn't use either but if you got off the chair without permission, you got spanked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back