Are parents becoming more senseless/lazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I am the only one that thinks it seems like parents are becoming more senseless or maybe in some ways the better word would be lazy.

The thing that makes me think so is how more baby diapers are being offered in bigger sizes with a traditional wetness indicator strip, something that was common only on small sizes before (for new parents), but now they make them up to size 6 (or maybe 7 for the few brands that have a size 7); and there are those "diaper technologies" like the clip on that tweets if baby is wet, or those "Smart-Diapers" that are supposed to give an alert for #1or 2.

I mean they seem like really weird technologies, I mean why cant they even check the state of the Babys' Diapers? Is that because they are getting lazier?

And I've seen kids that look like they are alone, with no adults in sight just roaming around town and doing as they please and some seemed as young as only a few years old (not fully dressed); probably Welfare Kids.

Last edited:
Yes, parents are getting more lazy/senseless. And not with just diaper, they neglect teaching them and raising them to have a good habits. Generally they are not doing things that a parent is supposed to do.

I would say some are, some aren’t. But if you’re not gonna take care of your kid, why have one?

I’m super interested in these smart diapers. Is this a real thing? Or the wetness clip? I’ve always imagined that someone would make that but have they actually gone and done it?

"becoming"?
Don't you mean, "have become"?

When Pampers & co first came to our shores, it was the opinion of the older folk that dispies were only for the feckless and lazy [parents].
I'm still of that mind.

Ok I strongly disagree with what most of you guys are saying. the reason the wetness indicators are appearing more on bigger diapers is just to make life easier. that's literally the point of I don't know VERY PIECE OF TECHNOLOGY EVER. The knife you use to cut your food that's technology used to make your life easier I'd like to see you cut your food without it. And I totally get why you think parents are lazy because you are seeing random children on the street and yes some parents are lazy/bad parents but most aren't also most of those kids come from families with 4+ children It's like trying to keep four literal monkeys that are pumped full of adrenaline in one place. I would LOVE to see you guys given 4+ monkeys to keep track of on a busy street. as for the half clothed part children are constantly taking there clothes off no matter what you do. and honestly I think the best children come from crazy families like such. And on the topic of bigger diapers coming out its because diaper companies are realizing that times are changing and so are the people its just the way things are such as homosexuality most people used to be against it but times have changed and now most people are for it. Except for those ignorant enough to not realize that things won't always be the same.

I wouldn’t say it’s all parents are becoming lazier or worse. Their have always been bad parents, and its up to them to do what’s right for their child. I wouldnt blame it onnew diaper technology.

goodnites24 said:
Ok I strongly disagree with what most of you guys are saying. the reason the wetness indicators are appearing more on bigger diapers is just to make life easier. that's literally the point of I don't know VERY PIECE OF TECHNOLOGY EVER. The knife you use to cut your food that's technology used to make your life easier I'd like to see you cut your food without it. And I totally get why you think parents are lazy because you are seeing random children on the street and yes some parents are lazy/bad parents but most aren't also most of those kids come from families with 4+ children It's like trying to keep four literal monkeys that are pumped full of adrenaline in one place. I would LOVE to see you guys given 4+ monkeys to keep track of on a busy street. as for the half clothed part children are constantly taking there clothes off no matter what you do. and honestly I think the best children come from crazy families like such. And on the topic of bigger diapers coming out its because diaper companies are realizing that times are changing and so are the people its just the way things are such as homosexuality most people used to be against it but times have changed and now most people are for it. Except for those ignorant enough to not realize that things won't always be the same.

One piece of rock that can be used to cut food sometimes better than a knife in my opinion. Or a piece of wood can be used or better yet the end off a tin can can be used as a knife. Of course ye ole Boy Scout comes prepared.... Other than that Yes parents have become lazy. Using tech for baby setting for child sleeping and using life apps on I phones or smartphones to run your lives. Tell ya what If I had kids now a days they would NOT be getting any tech at all, No TV nothing. They will be doing what kids did in yesteryear going outdoors and doing things that will occupy their time and minds and yes they will have chores or tasks to do all day long in the summer if they are not of working age to work in society then they will work at home. Oh and yes I will use the belt or my hand if i had to to keep the kid in line too. Parents now need instructions on how to parent seems funny how for 200 plus years parents did not need such rubbish to parent...

No people (and by extension parents) aren't becoming lazier. Don't fall into the old generational fallacy.
There have always been more and less helicopter-y parents and there always will be, thats just people being people. Also I don't recall any parent ever asking for the tech that you're talking about, that's just tech and diaper companies attempting to reinvent the wheel and make a name for themselves.

Also seeing larger sizes is a result of a few things, primarily companies filling the demand for larger sizes for special needs children. Now are there more special needs children being born? Depends on who you ask and how you interpret the studies on the subject but most would say yes. As to why that is that is still a HUGE debate.

Well, kids are a lot of work. My mom has told me several times that I was a lot of work and not a lot of fun until about age 3, and at that point (no diapers, can talk) I was a lot less work and a lot more fun. So you can't blame parents for wanting anything that makes the job easier, especially with the infants while it's so much more work.

A lot of parents stagger their kids out 2-3 years for exactly this reason, so they don't have to take care of 2-3 kids in diapers at the same time. There's always the "oldest can babysit" aspect too if you spread it out a little more.

Feyranna said:
No people (and by extension parents) aren't becoming lazier. Don't fall into the old generational fallacy.
There have always been more and less helicopter-y parents and there always will be, thats just people being people. Also I don't recall any parent ever asking for the tech that you're talking about, that's just tech and diaper companies attempting to reinvent the wheel and make a name for themselves.

Also seeing larger sizes is a result of a few things, primarily companies filling the demand for larger sizes for special needs children. Now are there more special needs children being born? Depends on who you ask and how you interpret the studies on the subject but most would say yes. As to why that is that is still a HUGE debate.
1. Baby Monitors
2. wet bed monitors
3. Apps on your I phone or I pad or smart phone with a sensor placed in diaper to signal a change is needed.
4. computers in general.
5. cameras.
6. shopping services.
7. delivery services.
8. nanny's
9. day care services.
10. Apps for living and lifestyle and parenting.
11. automatic swings and automatic style toys.
12. Televisions and gaming consoles.
13. online and app games.
14. apps for learning such as hooked on phonics and leapfrog If that is what its called.
gee shall I continue....
As far as larger diapers for children there are a need and that ONLY need is for truly incontinent children not lazy parents whom keep kids in diapers just to not potty train the kids oh boo hoo you may have to wash a few extra loads of laundry or do some additional work would not want to take your face away from your I phone now would we huh? or you partaking in your bad habits now would we? or your work oh god forbid you have to come home and deal with being a parent now huh? If you cannot handle being a parent then you must stop having sexual intercourse practice abstinence purchase condoms or get fixed! Being a parent is a huge and massive responsibility for the rest of your life hope you know that before you get in bed.

xpluswearer said:
1. Baby Monitors
2. wet bed monitors
3. Apps on your I phone or I pad or smart phone with a sensor placed in diaper to signal a change is needed.
4. computers in general.
5. cameras.
6. shopping services.
7. delivery services.
8. nanny's
9. day care services.
10. Apps for living and lifestyle and parenting.
11. automatic swings and automatic style toys.
12. Televisions and gaming consoles.
13. online and app games.
14. apps for learning such as hooked on phonics and leapfrog If that is what its called.
gee shall I continue....
As far as larger diapers for children there are a need and that ONLY need is for truly incontinent children not lazy parents whom keep kids in diapers just to not potty train the kids oh boo hoo you may have to wash a few extra loads of laundry or do some additional work would not want to take your face away from your I phone now would we huh? or you partaking in your bad habits now would we? or your work oh god forbid you have to come home and deal with being a parent now huh? If you cannot handle being a parent then you must stop having sexual intercourse practice abstinence purchase condoms or get fixed! Being a parent is a huge and massive responsibility for the rest of your life hope you know that before you get in bed.

You do know that a lot of that stuff was around in your lifetime, right? Unless you were born in the 1800's, you're just pointing a lot of fingers at arbitrary things that may or may not have anything to do with the culture of child raring now.

Hooked on Phonics is not an app. Or if it is in app it didn't start out as one. And what do you have against programs or devices that help children with learning disabilities? You realize how hypocritical you're being when you and probably every one of us would be sent to a mental home just for thinking of behaving the way we do?

All of the things you condemn are the same advantages that keep you from being someone's lab experiment. And that belt you worship so much would be used on you just as quickly in your old age when you get to be a burden on your loved ones. It's really easy to judge from the safety of the arm chair but when you're the one on the chopping block, it's suddenly you who's calling foul about how unfair the world is

TheWolfEmperor said:
You do know that a lot of that stuff was around in your lifetime, right? Unless you were born in the 1800's, you're just pointing a lot of fingers at arbitrary things that may or may not have anything to do with the culture of child raring now.

Hooked on Phonics is not an app. Or if it is in app it didn't start out as one. And what do you have against programs or devices that help children with learning disabilities? You realize how hypocritical you're being when you and probably every one of us would be sent to a mental home just for thinking of behaving the way we do?

All of the things you condemn are the same advantages that keep you from being someone's lab experiment. And that belt you worship so much would be used on you just as quickly in your old age when you get to be a burden on your loved ones. It's really easy to judge from the safety of the arm chair but when you're the one on the chopping block, it's suddenly you who's calling foul about how unfair the world is

Some of it was yes. Nothing against special needs folks I was mere listing hooked on phonics as examples.FYI I fought like hell to get that label off me before I stepped a foot in High School and I did it I was what they called E.I Emotional Impaired and dangnabit I fought the system and won and everyone can do the same if you want it bad or hard enough you can overcome that by the way at age 18 at graduation you are no longer legally able to use that term no more. You then fall under Adult related terms yer a big boy now.. .. And no I would not be calling the wagon with the white coats on you either jeez however there are a few others that I would in a New York Second that have gotten under my skin so to speak here.
I know karma can bite me in the kiester that is the chance we all take in life. Of course armchair head shrinking is easier than actually being there and doing it. Sadly we all have no choice in being some sort of lab rat for myriad of things such as inoculations and other things. Once I became a adult I have tried to steer clear of guinea pig things and no I do not wear a tin foil hat LOL... Gotta love discussions.

Parents aren't getting lazy, parenthood is changing.

The goal of the Industrial Revolution was to make life easier for people, and as society progresses these time-saving technologies are becoming more and more necessary. We also have to take into account how this applies in Capitalism. In a Capitalist system, you MUST keep progressing and developing new technologies and capital interests, otherwise the economy will stagnate and eventually crash. So you can't blame diaper companies for advancing.

This isn't about being lazy, it's about changing priorities in the Post-Modern Era. Taking care of a single child was once a full-time job, but now that both parents usually need to work, these time-saving technologies are in high demand. These new diaper technologies allow parents to wait until their child is more susceptible to potty-training and can better control their bodies.

Well, with wetness indicator strips being on larger diapers, you would think by the time the baby is 2 or 3 years old that parents would get some sort of timing/schedule down and no longer need the wetness indicator feature, but maybe I'm the only one that thinks this way.

When I was a child, my parents raised me without diapers as it wasn't much available then. Of course, it isn't impossible. But they went through a lot of hardships raising me. I myself cannot imagine raising my children the way they did. If you want 100% betterment for your child you cannot help taking the features modern technology is offering including and excluding diapers.
Child raising was never easy & never will be. These kind of features exist to make the lives of the parents less stressful. Some of the parents I know, don't even know that these kinds of features exist in diapers or a baby product such as *insert any baby gadget here* exists.

You always have the choice to go and get cheaper diapers for your child that do not have these features. But getting a better quality diaper for your child is considered the right choice. Not the other way around. And most parents look for the very best for their children. And thus, come in contact with these features.

As for the bigger sizes, most of the children here become potty trained by the age of 4. So, I haven't seen anyone actually using these.

What would I wear if the manufacturers didn't make bigger sized baby diapers? :3

goodnites24 said:
Ok I strongly disagree with what most of you guys are saying. the reason the wetness indicators are appearing more on bigger diapers is just to make life easier. that's literally the point of I don't know VERY PIECE OF TECHNOLOGY EVER. The knife you use to cut your food that's technology used to make your life easier I'd like to see you cut your food without it.

Amen. As technology improves diapers can provide more things. These were probably wanted before, just couldn't be provided, for example older kids who have incontinence issues and now there are better-patterned and sized diapers for them. Don't mistake the changing technological landscape for a changing parenting landscape. And if technology can lessen the amount of time devoted to diapering, why not? It's more time for a parent to use for more valuable things to the child. Electronic monitors allow determining when a diaper really needs to be changed, without having to keep checking or make guesses.

I was a little kid in the '50s and parenting was probably deplorable compared to today. I lived one house away from my many cousins. Maybe my logic is skewed because they were part Lenni Lenape Indians, but they were wild, crazy Indians. When I went over to play, they would play with real knives and bows and arrows, and we were, six, seven, eight years old! One of my cousins had an extremely mentally handicapped brother. He lived and stayed all the time in an upstairs bedroom of their house, one with steel bars on the windows. It was like a creature lived up there because in the summer the window was open, and he would make weird noises and yell down at us. He also would throw his feces at us, etc. It felt like an episode from the movie "Goonies".

We all ran around and went wherever the hell we wanted to. I had to be back home at a certain hour, but they didn't. I could tell a thousand stories of craziness, but you get the point.

Today's parents are over worked, over stressed, with both parents (if there are two parents) working hard to pay most of the bills. Yes, it's easy to put your kid in front of a TV and give him a tablet, but mom has to cook the dinner, make sure there are clean clothes for tomorrow, and dad (again, if there is a dad) has his chores.

I don't envy parents today. It was tough when my wife and I had kids. Buy the time I was reading them their night time story, I was the one falling asleep. Yes, there are terrible parents and sometimes they make the news, but most are just trying to keep all the balls in the air.

I had a customer once who had a 2 year old son who was playing outside stark naked . When I told her that her son was outside completely naked, her response was "I know, I am potty training him, and if he has an accident, he can just pee outside. Well, he didn't even know how to talk, and he wasn't circumcised, so I thought those two things were horrible parenting. Who takes their kids out of diapers before they even start talking and lets them play outside naked completely naked with all the child molesters out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back