Diaper bag and movie theater

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local theater instituted a bag-check policy, but I haven't been there since it went into effect. I don't go all that often, but I guess that means if I want snacks I'll have to try to smuggle them in on my person. Well, the kids on Rugrats always did hide stuff in their diapers. :rolleyes:

xpluswearer said:
I can remember back as far as the 80's signs in the theater saying no backpacks or bags allowed. no food or snacks or beverage can be brought into the theater unless purchased here. I have had to open my winter coat and the person taking ticket would say take off coat and turn it upside down and guarantee you that your stuff would fall out on the floor and refuse you entry to the movie. this is in a rural town in the midwest USA mind you.

What my mom did for this draconian stuff, is she had a major medical condition that severely limited her diet, and she did need to have something so often, so she would say unless you can then hold out a folder of dietary restrictions, can meet all these restrictions, the ADA requires you let me bring in my own snacks. An employee does not want to bring a ADA complaint against their theater.

My solution, is I don't want to pay the over priced ticket costs and the overpriced snacks, cheapest tickets around here are $13, not sure on snack prices as I have not been in one of them to know. I hold till I can rent the movie at home and enjoy it at my time, with my own snacks. If they theatres want to overcharge, let them, I will vote with my wallet and not go to them.

CuddleWoozle said:
I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but I have some fun things to say about 'the other side'.

OK. I worked at a movie theater and this is true for the really gung-ho people. The "I want to impress the boss!" kind. Me? I let you in. I know very well you've got a bag of candy in your coat pocket. I don't care. If my boss asked me "I didn't see it. I wonder where they kept it?!" I was forced ONE TIME to take candy away from a family by the District Manager. (He was standing right behind me when they came in carrying it.) I promised the three kids that if they wanted to, they could put it in my box office and pick it up on the way out, then they could have candy at home. The DM wanted me to throw it away after they left and I told him "I made a promise. You want to throw out a kids candy dude? That's low." He left well enough alone and the kids all got their candy back and were super happy. I told the parents that I was sorry, the DM was right behind me and that next time tuck it inside clothes or something and I could let them escape. LOL

Most of the money the theater I worked at made was on snacks and drinks. To the point that I had to account for literally everything. Everything. Every bag of candy, every bucket for popcorn, every cup. I couldn't give someone a drink of water because the cup would be missing and they would believe I gave someone a free soda. (I used to sneak refills for people. We could have as much soda/popcorn as we wanted and I would get mad sometimes and refill cups for nice customers if they came out while the manager was in the office.)

I was a pretty naughty employee I suppose, but I cleaned the crud off of everything in that building so they tolerated my naughty ways.

I never searched a backpack, but we would ask that people leave them at the box office if they were acting shady. LOL Only did that once though, because we saw the teenagers trying to hide cans and stuff in it. We were pretty sure they'd gotten beer from somewhere and we were NOT gonna try and explain a bunch of drunk teens barfing everywhere or anything.

The funniest one was the Popcorn Bandit. We had a fella all winter who would smuggle in two bags of microwave popcorn every time he came to the theater. We could SMELL it. (Just for reference, microwave popcorn smells TOTALLY different than the kind at the movie theater. I'm not sure why, but probably the butter/oil combo they have to use for the microwave being different.) We ended up having to bust him in the spring because he came in with two popcorn-bag titties under a t-shirt. LOL "Sir, are your pecs crackling? And why do they smell like butter?" He was super-mad, but dang it man. We can't just go around letting people grow popcorn boobs willy-nilly.

So yeah, most of the time the employees who are not that gung-ho aren't that into trying to look into your stuff. (I'm totally glad I didn't work there for Fifty Shades of Gray. Yeeesh. The things the people might have brought to THAT. O_O )

I laughed so hard at popcorn boobs! And then shuddered at the idea of what people brought to Fifty Shades :O I mean my brother’s friend worked at a theater during Fifty Shades and believe me, it DID happen!

CuddleWoozle said:
I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but I have some fun things to say about 'the other side'.

OK. I worked at a movie theater and this is true for the really gung-ho people. The "I want to impress the boss!" kind. Me? I let you in. I know very well you've got a bag of candy in your coat pocket. I don't care. If my boss asked me "I didn't see it. I wonder where they kept it?!" I was forced ONE TIME to take candy away from a family by the District Manager. (He was standing right behind me when they came in carrying it.) I promised the three kids that if they wanted to, they could put it in my box office and pick it up on the way out, then they could have candy at home. The DM wanted me to throw it away after they left and I told him "I made a promise. You want to throw out a kids candy dude? That's low." He left well enough alone and the kids all got their candy back and were super happy. I told the parents that I was sorry, the DM was right behind me and that next time tuck it inside clothes or something and I could let them escape. LOL

Most of the money the theater I worked at made was on snacks and drinks. To the point that I had to account for literally everything. Everything. Every bag of candy, every bucket for popcorn, every cup. I couldn't give someone a drink of water because the cup would be missing and they would believe I gave someone a free soda. (I used to sneak refills for people. We could have as much soda/popcorn as we wanted and I would get mad sometimes and refill cups for nice customers if they came out while the manager was in the office.)

I was a pretty naughty employee I suppose, but I cleaned the crud off of everything in that building so they tolerated my naughty ways.

I never searched a backpack, but we would ask that people leave them at the box office if they were acting shady. LOL Only did that once though, because we saw the teenagers trying to hide cans and stuff in it. We were pretty sure they'd gotten beer from somewhere and we were NOT gonna try and explain a bunch of drunk teens barfing everywhere or anything.

The funniest one was the Popcorn Bandit. We had a fella all winter who would smuggle in two bags of microwave popcorn every time he came to the theater. We could SMELL it. (Just for reference, microwave popcorn smells TOTALLY different than the kind at the movie theater. I'm not sure why, but probably the butter/oil combo they have to use for the microwave being different.) We ended up having to bust him in the spring because he came in with two popcorn-bag titties under a t-shirt. LOL "Sir, are your pecs crackling? And why do they smell like butter?" He was super-mad, but dang it man. We can't just go around letting people grow popcorn boobs willy-nilly.

So yeah, most of the time the employees who are not that gung-ho aren't that into trying to look into your stuff. (I'm totally glad I didn't work there for Fifty Shades of Gray. Yeeesh. The things the people might have brought to THAT. O_O )

Wow great post, I worked at a movie theater for a summer a great perk for me was free movies, but this was before my vision got worse to the point where it’s now not worth it for me to see movies anymore and it was also before I started wearing diapers 24 seven like I do now. One of my favorite places to make very good use of a diaper was at the movie theater but like I said I am now not able to really go to the movies anymore or I should say it really doesn’t make any financial sense for me, because I need audio description on my movies it’s easier and cheaper for me to wait until they hit iTunes or Netflix and now that I’m wearing diapers all the time now and I am in my own house I can change if I have to although usually that’s never the case because I’m wearing something like an a Bena or a dry 24 seven which last me half a day anyways nice part is I can pause the movie and get something to eat,

I just went and seen Solo during middle of the day and my bag was checked right at the ticket line. At least there was only one guy behind me if I go when it's busy I'll ask for it to be private.

Not a movie theatre but the Air Force museum checked my bag. He just shined a flashlight down into it and said "good" and waived me on.

For those who sneak in food into the theatre.... you are causing the demise of the theatres.

Granted I do not go to large chains (regal, amc, etc...) but will visit small circuits. We usually do the drive in or a small indoor. The drive in is $8 for two movies and the indoor is $5. So for $20 at the indoor I can get two admissions, 2 large drinks and a large popcorn.

The snack bar is truly the only money maker there. By the time the studio take their cut, they pay for the electricity and projector maintenance (projector bulb is $1,700 and may last 6 months or so),pay for staff (if they have any) and other expenses... that theatre is sometimes barely hanging on.

Oh let's not forget the money grubbing Disney that requires theatres to hold a movie like Solo for 4 weeks minimum, and demand that it be shown in the largest auditorium/screen too. Or that about three years ago the studios forced every theatre to bear the cost of digital projector conversions to the tune of over $60,000 per projector.

Just an FYI George Lucas, Stephen Spielberg and other directors if they had their way would have ticket prices up in the range of a concert ticket. And could care less if small movie houses with less than 10 screens even remained open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

diapernh said:
For those who sneak in food into the theatre.... you are causing the demise of the theatres.

I think it has more to do with the $5 candybars, $7 drinks, and $10 tubs of popcorn

I treat going to the movies as just that, a treat. So I accept that the snacks will be expensive the same way most people who go to an amusement park accept that the snacks there will be expensive. It's for fun and such. I get that people don't wanna pay extra for a candy they can get at Walmart for way less, but I consider it part of the 'price of admission'. XD

-edit-

And yes, I've been to the National Museum of the United States Air Force (AKA "The Air Force Museum" because that's just a gigantic mouthful of fancy when you just wanna see cool airplanes.) And they do have a bag check station now but they don't make a big stinking deal about it. They just want to make sure you aren't bringing in weapons or anything dangerous. (Now the contents of some peoples' padding might constitute biological warfare but that's besides the point. :laugh: )

They're also located directly adjacent to an active Air Force base (Wright-Patterson), so they're extra extra watchful.

LittleTwinkle said:
I wouldn’t mind having my diaper bag checked at a movie theater. I don’t worry about what strangers think about my need for diapers, it’s my family and friends who I worry about.
This is just my opinion If you change at home into a fresh 8-12 hour diaper before you go to the movie theater you should not need another one. Take those anti smell substances and you will be fine odor wise.

CuddleWoozle said:
I treat going to the movies as just that, a treat. So I accept that the snacks will be expensive the same way most people who go to an amusement park accept that the snacks there will be expensive. It's for fun and such. I get that people don't wanna pay extra for a candy they can get at Walmart for way less, but I consider it part of the 'price of admission'. XD

-edit-

And yes, I've been to the National Museum of the United States Air Force (AKA "The Air Force Museum" because that's just a gigantic mouthful of fancy when you just wanna see cool airplanes.) And they do have a bag check station now but they don't make a big stinking deal about it. They just want to make sure you aren't bringing in weapons or anything dangerous. (Now the contents of some peoples' padding might constitute biological warfare but that's besides the point. :laugh: )

They're also located directly adjacent to an active Air Force base (Wright-Patterson), so they're extra extra watchful.

I like going there, been there twice, a third attempt we could not find parking so we went to the wright brothers national park thing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CuddleWoozle said:

-edit-

Do not forget to set your compass towards KOSH in 7 weeks for Airventure .

xpluswearer said:
Do not forget to set your compass towards KOSH in 7 weeks for Airventure .

That looks like a lot of fun. XD I doubt I'll ever get up there to go, but I do love airplanes. (And am totally scared of heights. Go figure!)

diapernh said:

Eh? Hardly anyone buys food or drink at the cinema -- it's so expensive and hygiene standards are so low that you're better off bringing your own food and drink. Plus, not many cinemas serve beer in the auditorium itself.

Cinemas don't exist to sell food -- they exist to show films. Sneaking in your own food doesn't cause them any losses -- after all, would you really want to eat from that glass cube of popcorn that has never been cleaned...? Or try the hotdog that has been spinning round for six hours? Bleurgh!

I don't let random people rifle through my belongings, so I wouldn't go to a cinema that searches bags any more than I'd go into a restaurant where they search your bags.

tiny said:
Eh? Hardly anyone buys food or drink at the cinema -- it's so expensive and hygiene standards are so low that you're better off bringing your own food and drink. Plus, not many cinemas serve beer in the auditorium itself.

Cinemas don't exist to sell food -- they exist to show films. Sneaking in your own food doesn't cause them any losses -- after all, would you really want to eat from that glass cube of popcorn that has never been cleaned...? Or try the hotdog that has been spinning round for six hours? Bleurgh!

I don't let random people rifle through my belongings, so I wouldn't go to a cinema that searches bags any more than I'd go into a restaurant where they search your bags.
Usually a given a ban on Alcohol and smoking at movie theaters. To me its a bad move to allow alcohol of any kind at the cinema. That should be true for drive ins if they are still around anymore.

I wouldn't want to change at the movies. Dry diaper in, change after I get somewhere a little less busy.

tiny said:

Cinemas don't exist to sell food -- they exist to show films. Sneaking in your own food doesn't cause them any losses -- after all, would you really want to eat from that glass cube of popcorn that has never been cleaned...?

We actually had to clean that 'glass cube' every single night. ;) And boil out the popper any time we used it. (If you were curious: You run it through a cycle with nothing in it, then throw water into the kettle and let it steam clean so there are no chemicals in it. After that, it gets laboriously scrubbed out, the windows wiped down and the sifting grate/tray cleaned last.)

And yeah, they're supposed to show films, but they don't usually start making a profit on showing that film until the popularity of it is waning. The studio's actually 'rent' the film out to the theaters and there are agreements that they get X amount of the profits.

So the overpriced food is to offset that so they can actually afford to show you the movie for the first six weeks that it's out. XD

ALSO: I once had a guy ask me if I sold Budweiser. I told him no, but there's a bar right up the street if that's your bag. We never sold alcohol because you can never tell who is going to be 'good' and who is going to turn into a destructive asshole with one beer. (And don't say they don't do that with one beer, I've got a family member who does, indeed, go from zero to asshat in one beer.)

Can't say I've had an issue with theaters, but several times going into ballparks they've checked my "diaper bag." Never has it been an issue.

I go to the movies several times a month and have always just worn my overnight diapers with super baggy pants. I change right before I go, and leave my changing bag in the car. I've only had to leave the movie to change once, and even then I wasn't leaking. A tape snapped about an hour in and I got paranoid. If my friends want to go out for drinks or dinner after, I'll usually just go out to my car after the movie and change into a "daytime" diaper in the theater's lobby restroom. But most of them already know.

CuddleWoozle said:
ALSO: I once had a guy ask me if I sold Budweiser. I told him no, but there's a bar right up the street if that's your bag. We never sold alcohol because you can never tell who is going to be 'good' and who is going to turn into a destructive asshole with one beer. (And don't say they don't do that with one beer, I've got a family member who does, indeed, go from zero to asshat in one beer.)

And there's the whole "liquor license" hassle. Plus having to harass your customers into not leaving the theatre with an open container. Life's just so much more relaxed over in Europe that way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back