Status
Not open for further replies.

KryanAshford

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I went to the doctor and was told I need more protein to help me build muscle. I was wondering if maybe baby formula happen to work for this?

If I remember correctly, formula tends to have iron in amounts that are toxic to adults--but is safe for a growing baby.

If you are looking for a "baby formula" product to up your protein intake try SlimFast or it's in house equivalent, it's high in protein and is great in a baby bottle.

While formula is chock full of all kinds of vitamins and the like the amounts are well in excess of what an adult human body needs to consume. Think of it like this, a baby has a smaller frame, less surface area, and an inefficient digestive system. For nutrients to be absorbed into a babies body their formula has to be concentrated. An adult has much more surface area and our digestive system is longer, larger, and incredibly efficient. An adult will rapidly absorb and overdose of nutrients. While most nutrients the body will process and throw away if it is not needed. However it is possible to absorb an overdose and the body not be able to process it out fast enough. I am one who enjoys formula but I try to keep to one full strength bottle in a given day or two. If i'm in a long play session where there will be multiple bottles during that time my care taker will cut the formula back to about 1/2 or 1/4 strength and mix it with milk.

I have never had any ill effects from this but I'm not a daily formula user. I also use it strictly as a way to satisfy my baby needs and not a nutritional supplement. So there is a big difference in the way I use it compared to what you are asking. I get the big tub and that will last me over a month. (Probably longer than the use by date says to when its open but I've never noticed a difference)

There are products made specifically for adults such as ensure and the like but if you are considering using formula to supplement your needs and gain some nutritional benefit you would have to retrofit the dosage of formula to your needs since it is not really designed for us.

And your courtesy disclaimer - I am not a doctor and cannot offer medically sound advise regarding the use of formula. The above is my personal experience and not universal to everyone. I can only recommend that you do some research, and if you do decide to start using formula you do so at your own accord and exercise reasonable judgement in regards to your health needs vs play needs.

Newborn formula is basically pure lactose, not to mention the taste which is often unpleasant to adults. But there is formula for older kids (1+ years, 2+ years) which doesn't taste bad and is closer to what adults can also drink. Maybe something like that would be suitable for you?

I just checked the iron thing: Apparently adults between 20 and 50 years need more iron in a day than infants do, so I doubt that formula contains toxic amounts. I've never had any negative reaction to the formula I use, though I don't drink that on the daily...
Anyway, there might be more than needed of certain ingredients in formula, but usually, your system will just get rid of what it can't use. I'm not a dietary expert, mind you, but that is what we were taught in biology class^^

Edit: Oops, looks like I was a bit too slow.

I drink protein shakes which are actually good in a bottle. Taste like chocolate milk

Anything you would suggest PGFDP

I would avoid formula for a number reasons. The biggest one being it tastes god-awful. If you're having problems with protein you could try Ensure or you could pick up some protein powder and make your own protein smoothies. The protein smoothies would be cheaper than the Ensure in the long run, plus you can customize it to your taste.

I guess everyone is different in what they consider bad or good tasting. While I don't think formula tastes the greatest I certainly don't think it tastes bad. Different brands have a slightly but mostly similar taste. My go to is similac pro advance with DHA and Lutein. Gotta keep those eyes strong even though i'm sure the lutein in the formula is doing very little.

KryanAshford said:
Anything you would suggest PGFDP

I personally like muscle milk. Another one I like is glucerna but that’s a health shake meant for people with diabetes, which I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back