Not open for further replies.

PaddedDeist

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
Well, I had my laptop--a Dell N5110 with 8GB of RAM--get reduced to near unbootability after a major update. That really had me using words that would get me a ban here.

It would boot to a blue screen where I would have to choose my keyboard, and then I'd go to another screen where I had a few different choices such as rollback or troubleshoot. For some reason repair was not an option-perhaps because no networking--wi-fi or wired--was working.

I had to buy a new thumb drive so I could build a USB repair drive and it would do an offline update, but the desktop was not working well, the windows logo didn't give me access to a start menu or anything else.

My system is pretty borked-up.

I did get the bright idea to clear the thumb drive and install a portable Ubuntu Linux distro and I have hopfully recover all the important stuff. Wi-Fi is working fine as well so it is definitely a software issue.

Next step is to rebuild the USB recovery drive and do a clean install of Win 10--I hope that I can get things back up and running again.

Not that it is much help now but I keep a USB recovery of my OS in my laptop bag to do clean installs. I actually got a nasty virus the other week and actually wound up using it cause all other options failed. So a USB recovery totally saved my but. I hope you can get your problem sorted, good luck!

Well, what saved me is that my wife and I have identical laptops so I had access to another system that I could use to get what I needed onto a thumb drive.

I had to get a new thumb drive since my dog broke the last one with his butt when it was plugged into the car stereo. (He's actually wrecked a couple of thumb drives that way-I'm planning on getting a 90-degree adapter to prove t that in the future.)

My wife was talking about us getting another external HD or two so we can back up both systems regularly.

The system is up and running Windows 10 again. I have a bunch of installing to do now. I did manage to save my Minecraft saves though so I still have the last world I was working on. I can always restart a KSP campaign. A lot of my other stuff is online.

Had that happen once. Windows kept trying to update and the update kept breaking my laptop. I kept rolling it back and it kept auto-updating. I finally managed to get it to stop doing it and my sanity was saved. But sheesh.

The worst was when Windows 'forgot' it had a language pack. Like...it insisted that I had no language installed. While it was using English to tell me this. And my brain is just like "Whaaaaaaaat?" (That might not have been all Windows fault though...that hard drive corrupted not too long afterwards. So I think it might have been the beginning of the HD going dead.)

I did try to have MS tech support help me. The firstcguy tried really hard but I got kicked up to thevnext level of support. The were supposed to call me within a certain time window, bi5 they were late and when they did call, they barely let the phone ring and hung up.

That's when I figured out what I had to do and was already taking steps when they called me today. Argh...

Now the fun of installing all of that software...

- - - Updated - - -

The second call did confirm that I do have the newest Win 10 build running now though.

I ran into an article that suggests that PCs with Avast or AVG anti-virus were hanging up on the update. I've been using AVG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back