Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Now I know why I am a bad driver

It was a LIFT bus by the city transportation of Trimet. Not a school bus.

https://trimet.org/lift/

Also you only need to stop for a school bus when they have the stop sign out.

- - - Updated - - -

And I was not driving in the wrong lane, it was in the right lane (left lane for me) waiting for someone and it was blocking my view from the road of incoming cars so I turned slowly because you never know if a car would be going around the bus to drive on the left side to get out while it would be the right side for me and I would have pulled to the side of the street to let out any incoming car.

- - - Updated - - -

Those LIFT buses always park on the side and they get out to get the person and bring them out to the bus. But that time it created a blind spot for anyone who wanted to turn onto the road when it was parked on the side.

- - - Updated - - -

And I do not like it when people make assumptions and jump to conclusions without getting all the facts first so please ask questions before you assume. I do not like false accusations because I get upset and get very defensive because it upsets me.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I'll just block you to avoid any more false accusations, too much for me to handle.

Bleh. I thought it wouldn't have been a school bus, they generally don't take very long to get the kids on and start going again.

Although I do have a funny story about a bus on a four lane highway...one stopped and a bunch of people on the completely opposite side of the road started trying to stop for them. XD The road was one with a grassy median strip in the middle and you DO NOT need to stop for the bus when they do that on one of those. (Like the road goes |ro|ad|[grass]|ro|ad|) The main reason being is that they're not supposed to stop and pick up on roads like that if they can help it at all and also under no circumstances are they allowed to cross a passenger across three lanes of traffic. They'd just swing the bus around and go back to get them on the right side of the road. :P

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleWoozle View Post
    Bleh. I thought it wouldn't have been a school bus, they generally don't take very long to get the kids on and start going again.

Although I do have a funny story about a bus on a four lane highway...one stopped and a bunch of people on the completely opposite side of the road started trying to stop for them. XD The road was one with a grassy median strip in the middle and you DO NOT need to stop for the bus when they do that on one of those. (Like the road goes |ro|ad|[grass]|ro|ad|) The main reason being is that they're not supposed to stop and pick up on roads like that if they can help it at all and also under no circumstances are they allowed to cross a passenger across three lanes of traffic. They'd just swing the bus around and go back to get them on the right side of the road. :P
    Traffic laws can be confusing, I didn't know what to do if I see a bus stopped on the other side of the commute tracks. I knew to stop when the sign is out but what if there was a thing in between the roads like grass or train tracks. Then I asked my mom about it and she told me I didn't have to stop because there are tracks and kids won't be crossing it. Then I saw it in the DMV driver's manual too. On wider roads that are like four lanes with a center lane for turning, not everyone knows to stop for the bus because they are on the other side and of course kids wouldn't be crossing the wide busy road and I have seen a cop come out of the apartment parking lot and pull people over for not stopping. I didn't know either at first but then I learned by seeing other cars stopped. Rules are rules.

In Missouri if there are 4 or more lanes the traffic traveling the same direction as the bus must stop but the traffic coming towards the bus does not stop.

In some places, they have these pull out stops for school buses so cars wouldn't have to stop. My old town had them in Montana. I think I have seen some in Washington too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AAO View Post
    In Missouri if there are 4 or more lanes the traffic traveling the same direction as the bus must stop but the traffic coming towards the bus does not stop.
    Is that legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    Is that legal?
    That is the law when it comes to school buses in Missouri.

No I was asking if it's legal for cars to not stop on that sort of road.

Laws are different for each state. In Montana you have to go the speed at all times in school zones while here in Oregon you only need to go that speed when lights are flashing or of the sign says 7AM-5PM school days or when children are present. In Montana, we didn't need to stop for the school bus when it would pull into a pull out spot to pick up kids. That was on highways.