Smart diapers... By Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

srmousse

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Ok, so this kind of tech is probably still a long way off, and only currently in patent stage, but I'm curious what you all think!?

https://arstechnica.com/science/201...erily-would-skip-sniff-test-to-answer-1-or-2/

In case you are confused by the company "Alphabet", its a company that was created and established as a parent to Google, giving them a way to move all of their experimental departments out from under the main companies umbrella.

I think I've hit my cutesy euphemism limit for the day. As to the content, I guess I'd defer to parents: is it a big mystery when a baby messes vs. wets? I'd have thought it was pretty clear most of the time, making this unnecessary. Call us back when diaper changes are automated. Definitely call me back because that's one of my things.

Hahaha, no doubt! I've changed a combined almost 8 years of baby diapers between my three kids, and I can vouch for 90% of the time, when it's number 2, you know before you check! Lol!

I dunno. When I was a kid at the babysitter, it was more or less:

"Hey, what's that stank?"

*sniffsniff*

"CHLOE POOPED."

*all of the children drag her out of the yard and into the house while yelling about poop to the babysitter*

Doesn't a parent know how to check their kid's diaper anymore, you actually need a device to tell you they made a number one or 2? How hard is it to stick your finger in the leg band of a diaper and see if they're wet or pull back their diaper to check if they missed. This new Generation and future are going most lazy bunch people paired with former Generation because of tech crap.

I mean, wow is your kid going to need
to sit in a wet or messy diaper because their parents are going to wait
for a device to tell them to change them instead of checking their
self. What happens if the device does not send a signal or the battery
die.

Poohbearboy said:
Doesn't a parent know how to check their kid's diaper anymore, you actually need a device to tell you they made a number one or 2? .

I don't think this is primarily to tell you what to expect, but to send a notice to say your cell phone to notify you Jr needs his diaper changed.

It still lazy those.

Poohbearboy said:
It still lazy those.

Who cares if it's lazy if it's helpful? The history of technological advancement is labor-saving devices or things that enable laziness if that's what one seeks.

I think the complaint is it's a solution in search of a problem. Any caregiver lax enough to actually need it would probably be the least likely to buy them. I guess I don't care what they do, it just seems like it's a dumb use of resources and effort. It's not mine, so they can do as they please.

Trevor said:
Who cares if it's lazy if it's helpful? The history of technological advancement is labor-saving devices or things that enable laziness if that's what one seeks.

I think the complaint is it's a solution in search of a problem. Any caregiver lax enough to actually need it would probably be the least likely to buy them. I guess I don't care what they do, it just seems like it's a dumb use of resources and effort. It's not mine, so they can do as they please.

Maybe it is useful in nursing homes, so one nurse can monitor several diapers simultaneously and come in action when needed.

Otherwise it could be used to warn you for rain when you hang your cloth diapers to dry outside :smile1: .

Makubird said:
Maybe it is useful in nursing homes, so one nurse can monitor several diapers simultaneously and come in action when needed.

I suspect this is more how the technology would be implemented, that is if it is used.

I don't know whether something like this would be good with a individual baby, although could be useful when potty training especially if the kid isn't truthful about if they have wet and the parents don't necessarily realise, anecdotal but I know someone who was potty training their little one and they were on a long train journey and their kid had become so engrossed in watching stuff downloaded onto the tablet that they forgot abut the toilet and didn't ask mum for the toilet result a leaky pull up and wet clothes.

Main objection would be cost because to embed some sort of sensor could be pretty cost prohibitive,

As with most new technology these days, this falls into the category "answer for a problem that doesn't exist"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back