Not open for further replies.

PaddedDeist

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
I have read the thread on baby bottles in here and while it was good, I was wondering if there was anything that focused specifically on the different nipple designs and the advantages and disadvantages of each?

The bottles themselves seem relatively straight forward with just a few things to keep in mind.

I don't really like the looks of any adult sized bottle nipples. I don't know why, I just don't feel like I want to put any of them into my mouth. LOL

A comparison of adult VS baby bottle nipples would actually be good as part of a nipple primer.

I've only ever tried baby bottle nipples but since I have quite a few of them, I'll offer my opinion.

The nuk ones kinda suck (no pun intended) since they have the hole where it presses against the roof of your mouth. Of course, you can (and probably need to) cut a hole into the very tip of it, then they work just fine.
Also, nuk has those "special needs" nipples that are bigger, but I have yet to try them. For those, you need to cut a hole yourself anyway, so that's not a problem.

In general, I found that the "orthodentic" shape usually isn't that great since it's too small for an adult mouth. It kinda makes it hard to get good suction going.

In a local drug store I found one that had a round, longish nipple that was the same all around, and that one is my favourite. It's the store's brand, but the nipple looks similar to mam ones, just not flattened like those are. I guess that one's the most like the adult bottles one can buy, but less...giant.

The soft spout sippy cup inserts one can buy don't really work for me since they deflate waaaay too easily, but the more rigid spouts are nice, especially if you are more active in little space and don't want to settle down for a bottle, but rather have a sippy cup nearby while playing.

Those are the things I noticed while trying out different bottles/nipple styles! One more thing: If you have the choice, go for a wide neck bottle. The thin necked ones are a pain to clean.

I have both a regular baby bottle and a bottle with a nipple made for adult mouths.

Regular baby bottle nipples are usually fine, you can find some in stores that have pretty sizeable nipples. The main problem with baby bottle nipples is that the milk flow is too gradual, it can literally take hours for an adult mouth to clear a baby bottle with a nipple intended for young infants. For that reason, I used a safety pin and made the nipple hole larger, that increased the milk flow, but you have to be careful doing that, if you make the second perforation too big or not in the right place you run the risk of ruining the nipple shape or having two milk holes, I have made these mistakes with some bottles in the past.

My adult bottle nipple doesn't have the same shape as a baby bottle nipple, although I know there are larger size nuk teats for AB bottles, my adult bottle's nipple I believe is called a nursing nipple, it's much longer and slightly larger than your standard bottle nipple (see the link below). This bottle nipple fits my mouth pretty nicely and it's not nearly as long as it seems based on looks. It's milk flow is also tailored to adult use, so I get much more milk when I suckle from this bottle as opposed to my baby one even with the widened nipple hole, this leads to a more genuine baby experience for me, it doesn't take longer than it should for me to finish my milk from my AB bottle.

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-nursing-bottle-adult-nipple/dp/B01M9BIDXZ

So, in all honesty, both types of nipples feel nice, the differences are aesthetic and in terms of performance. Baby bottle nipples have that classic look, but they are made for actual babies, so getting a lot of milk out of them is going to be a struggle unless you make that hole larger. Adult nipples come in a few design varieties i.e. the larger nuk teat or the nursing teat, and they are made with adult use in mind, so the milk flow is a lot more natural.

I have tried nearly all nipples from NUK and MAM. Contrary to Schwanensee I like the NUKs most because the shape fits my mouth pretty nice. They require a somewhat different suction technique than ordinary nipples because of the position of the hole as Schwanensee pointed out. Not at all a problem for me.
The MAMs are also quite nice and you can suckle in a more 'conventional' way. The venting mechanism however often malfunctions so I frequently have to stop sucking to allow for air flowing back in the bottle.

I think the holes of both brands are large enough and I can finish a bottle in 2-3 minutes if a want to. Be sure to choose the size with the largest holes (L for NUK and X for MAM).

It is very much a personal preference which nipple fits you best. I use MAM and NUK equally often, and depending on how thirsty I am I choose a smaller or a larger nipple hole.

I suggest you pick one or two brands with a lot of different nipple sizes and shapes available and try them out. There are also sets with different size nipples. Two warnings though: the latex nipples don't work at all for me because they collapse too easily. Go for the silicone ones. And the NUK and MAM nipples are not interchangeable.

Now are you referring to this NUK teat or are there other ones?

http://nuk.my/expertinterviews/medicpro/productdetail/?p=10.107.001&lty=m&lid=8

The nursing nipple looks interesting as well though both it and the NUK look a little strange compared to the "classic" nipple.

I suppose poking holes in these things is a discussion of it's own. lol

On the baby bottle side, the NUK Simply Natural ones seem pretty popular. I wonder if the wider base is intended to make it more breast-like? But the classic generic baby bottle nipple style doesn't seem like it's going away any time soon.

Having an adult-sized pacifier--that I enjoy immensly--versus a baby one--good but not as satisfying--is what spurred this question.

I know that there are plenty of people on here that are perfectly happy with the baby pacis but there are others like me that prefer the larger paci teat. So I wondered if this preference transferred to bottle nipples or if they are just plain enjoyable no matter the size.

I do like the idea of the larger teat and if the flow is better, that does sound like a good advantage. Even a slightly oversized teat could be nice.

Well if the difference is not that big and, like me, you prefer the adult pacis, I'm more inclined to try out the baby bottles when I can.

PaddedDeist said:

http://nuk.my/expertinterviews/medicpro/productdetail/?p=10.107.001<y=m&lid=8

The nursing nipple looks interesting as well though both it and the NUK look a little strange compared to the "classic" nipple.

On the baby bottle side, the NUK Simply Natural ones seem pretty popular. I wonder if the wider base is intended to make it more breast-like? But the classic generic baby bottle nipple style doesn't seem like it's going away any time soon.

Having an adult-sized pacifier--that I enjoy immensly--versus a baby one--good but not as satisfying--is what spurred this question.

I know that there are plenty of people on here that are perfectly happy with the baby pacis but there are others like me that prefer the larger paci teat. So I wondered if this preference transferred to bottle nipples or if they are just plain enjoyable no matter the size.

I do like the idea of the larger teat and if the flow is better, that does sound like a good advantage. Even a slightly oversized teat could be nice.

I've used this kind of nipple but the last ones I had were too thin. Any time I sucked on them with any resistance at all, they'd collapse. DPF used to sell a nipple that was very much like a NUK pacifier and it was sturdy enough to stand up to use. Like most of their stuff, it was overpriced but it lasted me quite a while and I was happy with the performance. Since then, I haven't found any adult-sized nipple I like. The conical ones look sturdy but also unappealing.

MailCat581 said:
I use Dr.Brown's size 4 nipples on my baby bottles.

Do you mean that these will fit standard size baby bottles? In other words, they're not just for Dr. Brown bottles? I've been looking for alternatives to actual adult nipples for my regular bottles that are not too small for my mouth.

Trevor said:
DPF used to sell

That's a name I havn't heard in forever.

To answer the OP

There is a significant difference when it come's to a true infant who is bottle feeding. It was explained to me in great detail by a neo-natal nurse years ago but I did not keep it in memory since she implied that "to adults who do what you do it's purely preference and serves no real purpose other than enjoyment of the experience"

and I pretty much agree with her statement. Sorry that wasn't a lot of help.

babyblueblanket said:
That's a name I havn't heard in forever.[snipped]

That's an indication of how long it's been since I had an adult-sized nipple I like. I just use larger ones for babies these days. It's one of the areas that seems really poorly served in AB wares.

You're definitely going to have to either cut the hole bigger or get a higher flow replacement separately as every baby bottle I've ever seen comes with nipples that are just way too slow to be practical for adults.

I personally prefer the replacements, less leaks.

My favorite ones are called Zoo Pals anotomical nipples. The x-cut is by far the best and surprisingly very well suited for us. They're $2.50-2.75 for 4 at HEB here in Texas and fit standard sized bottles. So don't let the internet gouge you too much. Sent some to a long distance ABDL friend and he said he very much enjoyed them too; moreso than his adult sized ones which surprised me. Have yet to try an adult sized one. They remind me a bit too much of livestock bottles to ever take the plunge..

PaddedDeist said:

http://nuk.my/expertinterviews/medicpro/productdetail/?p=10.107.001<y=m&lid=8

Those teats are a medical item, they are intended for babies who are born with a cleft palate. Their palate hasn't grown completely shut, so they can't create the vacuum needed for drinking from a regular bottle. The larger base and teat are intended to close that cleft so those babies can still feed.

And I am going to disagree with Makubird on the latex nipples: They worked fine for me as long as I cut the hole slightly larger. (Seems like we just have very different tastes^^) I suggest carefully cutting an x shape, that way you can have a faster flow with less dripping than if you cut an actual hole.

Schwanensee said:
And I am going to disagree with Makubird on the latex nipples: They worked fine for me as long as I cut the hole slightly larger. (Seems like we just have very different tastes^^) I suggest carefully cutting an x shape, that way you can have a faster flow with less dripping than if you cut an actual hole.

Well, no two kids are the same...
Good idea to cut the latex nipple. So I can probably still use those.

I like the Avanti glass baby bottles and the nipples that come with them. It just seems to provide a genuine "baby" experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back