Travel Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
  4. Other
I'll be going on a weekend vacation very soon and I need some advice. I'll be out the vast majority of the day and staying in a hotel with a few other people at night. I won't be the only person in my hotel room. I'm concerned about needing diapers for the trip. I have occasional incontinence issues so its possible I'll have to spend some or all of that time diapered. In case that happens I want to be prepared. Only one of the people I'm going with knows and even that person doesn't know any more than "sometimes needs diapers". What diapers would you recommend for being out all day and possibly not being able to take a bag with me there? What would you recommend for a few nights in a hotel with people that don't know? Do you have any other tips? Currently I have a pack of Northshore Supremes. Do you think these will be good enough? Should I get something else? Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Better dry diapers have proven to get me through the day (Most Days) but I have had a few bad days thst I need to change after only a few hours. I would recommend taking extra diapers with you and changing when needed Incontinence issues can be unpredictable and no matter how highend of a diaper you chooes they do fail.

Traveling is one of the most challenging parts of dealing with incontinence issues, I have had to tell a few people whe have traveled with about my incontinence issues so far every one who knows has understood. if you pee juring the night while you sleep then you should request a mattress protector from the hotel and use a disposable pad for ontop of the sheets. I travel with the large version on the Tenna instant dry bed pad, unfortunately its part of dealing with incontinence issues.

Betterdry m10 is a really good choise!

The supremes will be fine. I grab some plastic bags off the roll I use for my kitchen garbage and pack those. I individually bag my used ones before setting them in the can in the room.

If you think you might leak, you can pack some underpads (generically called Chux, though I think mine are tranquility brand). I mostly use them for changing pads, but they are pretty absorbant.

if you only need light protection, here's my advice:

go to the box store and get a backpack with two main compatments. (in addition to the small front compartment) They do make them, I own one. If you're going to be out traveling, it's not too unusual to wear a backpack. Put a light windbreaker jacket in the main compartment maybe along with other things like an umbrella, sunscreen, map, cell phone power bank, bugspray, etc to make it perfectly normal/legitimate to have the backpack with you. No one will question it.

Obviously the other compartment is to carry a change or two of diapers and any small supplies you need. Northshore has really handy small pouches of wipes that are ideal for a light diaper bag. I would personally recommend removing the pull on the zipper to your diaper bag area of the bag, to make it impossible for someone to open by accident if they want to borrow something out of your bag or put something in it if you leave it unattended. I do this with my big work lunchbox's top pouch where I carry a single change, after it got opened by accident by someone looking for a tool they knew I was bringing to work. You should still have little trouble operating the zipper without the pull. Park the "public" compartment's pulls in the middle at the top where they're easily seen, and park the private zippers all the way at the base where they're hard to spot.

My current best recommendation for light-diaper-on-the-go is Tykables Little Builders. They're quiet, thin, soft plastic shell, good velcro tapes, very comfortable (rear AND front elastic), durable enough to wear all day without splitting (though you may shred the padding inside a bit, to be expected), and very easy to put on in public due to the easy-adjust velcro. (they're a wonderful daytime diaper!) Betterdry are nice but the tapes would worry me a little (they slip after a few hours on the move) and they're a bit thicker than I'd like for a ot of walking. Definitely go with them instead though if you need higher capacity. Betterdry also has incredible leak guards so they are a good choice for overnight.

I think this highlights the different between need and desire. When you need to wear diapers, having to tell people is a whole lot easier. I go on a couple work conferences every year and share a room with my business partner. My ic is not constant and unless I'm sick, generally only at night.

Our first trip, I did my best to house it by bringing a pull-up instead of a diaper. I slept on a towel and was fine until the last morning, thankfully the leak was minimal and didn't make it to the bed. I knew then, there was little chance to hide without consequences. On our next trip, I bit the bullet and told him... "Hey, I just need to let you know, I have some occasionally nocturnal incontinence, I can control this pretty well at home, but don't want to risk the hotels bedding, so I'll be wearing a diaper at night." It was hard to tell him, but was so much better afterwards. He also shared with me that he struggled with that off and on all the way through 5th grade.

Now as far as day time, depending on how much you struggle, there are a couple brands of pullups that are actually pretty good. They are a lot more descret than plastic tabbed diapers, and while you might have to pop your shoes off to change, I find it's actually easier on the go. As a bonus, they breath a LOT better so you don't end up sweaty and the diaper doesn't get clumpy on the go. Abriflex 3 is a solid option.

If you really do have bad daytime ic, betterdry or comfidry might be your best option. Otherwise, just get a good quality pull-up and just use the regular toilet as much as you can.

I have also had instances when I have shared hotel rooms with people in past and opted for pull ups instead of diapers. I didnt tell the person a thing about it so had to do things secretly.

I would put one on once they went on the bathroom or I went in the bathroom. I found some nice loose fitting PJ's easily hid it. In the morning, I would take it off when they were again in the bathroom doing their morning stuff. I would put the pull up into a plastic bag and dispose of it else where when I had the opportunity to do so by carrying it in my "day bag" as such.

bambinod said:
if you only need light protection, here's my advice:

go to the box store and get a backpack with two main compatments. (in addition to the small front compartment) They do make them, I own one. If you're going to be out traveling, it's not too unusual to wear a backpack. Put a light windbreaker jacket in the main compartment maybe along with other things like an umbrella, sunscreen, map, cell phone power bank, bugspray, etc to make it perfectly normal/legitimate to have the backpack with you. No one will question it.

Obviously the other compartment is to carry a change or two of diapers and any small supplies you need. Northshore has really handy small pouches of wipes that are ideal for a light diaper bag. I would personally recommend removing the pull on the zipper to your diaper bag area of the bag, to make it impossible for someone to open by accident if they want to borrow something out of your bag or put something in it if you leave it unattended. I do this with my big work lunchbox's top pouch where I carry a single change, after it got opened by accident by someone looking for a tool they knew I was bringing to work. You should still have little trouble operating the zipper without the pull. Park the "public" compartment's pulls in the middle at the top where they're easily seen, and park the private zippers all the way at the base where they're hard to spot.

My current best recommendation for light-diaper-on-the-go is Tykables Little Builders. They're quiet, thin, soft plastic shell, good velcro tapes, very comfortable (rear AND front elastic), durable enough to wear all day without splitting (though you may shred the padding inside a bit, to be expected), and very easy to put on in public due to the easy-adjust velcro. (they're a wonderful daytime diaper!) Betterdry are nice but the tapes would worry me a little (they slip after a few hours on the move) and they're a bit thicker than I'd like for a ot of walking. Definitely go with them instead though if you need higher capacity. Betterdry also has incredible leak guards so they are a good choice for overnight.

I'm not too worried about packing a bag for the hotel stay. The other people aren't going to handle me stuff so my suit case should be safe.
The problem nobody seems to be addressing in the fact that it might not be possible for me to take a bag with me where I'm going while out all day. I'll have to call the place and ask but its very likely I'll be limited to what I can carry in my pockets.

I'm sitting here now in the airport waiting for my flight. I've got my Fisher Price diaper bag napsack with me. It has little tabs on all the pockets witch pictures of a bottle, a diaper, wipes, a pacifier. There's even a bag of seni wipes in the exterior wipe compartment. Went through security just fine. Nobody batted an eye. I've even got my "MUST WEAR DIAPERS" "medic alert" on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back