Thread: I have a self control problem

Default I have a self control problem

So I can't control myself when it comes to money. I keep looking at things and suddenly want them. Like I wanted new diapers and have been looking them over. I have the money to buy these things, but I shouldn't. I want to save to move out, but I keep buying random or pointless things. I just got a new phone. Why? I don't know I couldn't just say no. I don't know what to do. Any know how to control this problem?

When you get paid, set aside so much money to save and so much that goes into your wallet that you can spend freely. (If you get paid via card or direct deposit, maybe withdraw what you can spend.) This is basically what I do. I try not to touch what goes into my coffers unless I am going to put it back, or giving my mom her monthly money to help with her health insurance.

I am sometimes the same way. Whether it's diapers and baby stuff or other hobbies and entertainment, I sometimes find myself spending a little more than I would like to as well. I think this is a natural thing, we all want to enjoy ourselves, but sometimes we forget to do so in moderation.

Usually, what helps me is budgeting. I take into account what I made in the month and then I split it up, I figure out how much goes to household utilities and then whatever is left over I divide up equally, some of that money goes towards my baby needs and the rest goes towards school supplies and other hobbies. So, yeah, just be sure to budget yourself responsibly. As long as you have the money for these items and it isn't cutting into other necessary expenses, like groceries, rent, etc. then there really is no harm in splurging a bit and enjoying yourself.

Of course, if you are worried about spending too much even after you have budgeted accordingly, or you find certain purchases are taking away from other priorities, you can always do what I do, take stock of what you have and really think to yourself, "Do I need this?". I did this a few weeks ago after I had made a large diaper order and doing so effectively talked me out of placing another order. I had the money for that other order, but I was stocked up and good to go, so I didn't really need any more at that time.

Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by KryanAshford View Post
    So I can't control myself when it comes to money. I keep looking at things and suddenly want them. Like I wanted new diapers and have been looking them over. I have the money to buy these things, but I shouldn't. I want to save to move out, but I keep buying random or pointless things. I just got a new phone. Why? I don't know I couldn't just say no. I don't know what to do. Any know how to control this problem?
    I've got a similar problem, but I know what causes it, depression. When I get to feeling low it's one of the few things that cheer me up, even knowing that I shouldn't be spending right now. I have found that really thinking do I really need this or is it just to make me feel better and waiting a day to two helps sometimes.

Think about how bad you want to move out before you spend on the next useless or random thing.

After I was first married, I handled all the finances over to my wife. Like others, I would spend until it was gone. I tend to be impulsive. My wife, on the other hand, was very disciplined and was good with figures. With her death, I had to take over the finances. Fortunately, she wrote everything that was paid, into a notebook. Now, I'm very careful about spending because I have a lot less to live on.

I've often spent too much money on things too; thinking because I had the money (and then some) at that moment that I would be fine long term.

Needless to say, it eventually gets to a point where I get broke and have Bill's to pay, so I sell stuff that I bought, losing a considerable amount of money in the process.

I think in my case it stems from mental health problems (diagnosed as bipolar-NOS, so on either end of the spectrum I may feel like buying a lot of things to feel better or just because I want it), and I guess.

I've learned to spend less, but it's still tempting at times, I just try to balance it better so I can enjoy a couple hobbies, feed myself, pay my bills, and hopefully not be completely broke after that.

Quote Originally Posted by KryanAshford View Post
    So I can't control myself when it comes to money. I keep looking at things and suddenly want them.
    I don't know what to do.
    Any know how to control this problem?
    Short answer is that your why has to be bigger than your want. You have to be able to ask yourself if what you want is worth delaying why you are saving money. It is easy to save money if you are more passionate about what you are saving for that what you want to spend on. Ask yourself how badly you want to move out. If it is just an idea that seems like it would be good to do someday, it may happen someday. If your life was at stake then three dollars for a coffee would be too much to spend and you would drink water until you piled up cash to get out.

Think about what you want, and how important it is to you and you will find that you get what you really want, be it long term stability or short term gratification.