Nintendo switch possibly being banned in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I don't think much will come out of the impending lawsuit, but apparently this company called GameVice that made a device that attaches to Tablets wants to force Nintendo to be unable to continue selling the Nintendo Switch in the US because of patent infringement.

I think it's a jump because they are 2 separate things, the device GameVice makes is bulky and is only an Attachment made for Tablets.

The Nintendo Switch is a complete game console and is revolutionary in that it's a Home Console and On The Go Console.

Anybody think GameVice has any leg to stand on being that the 2 devices don't actually compete with each other?

I mean nobody is going to buy a Tablet and GameVice attachment instead of a Nintendo Switch, neither one replaces or competes with the other, they are in 2 completely separate markets.

GameVice is probably just mad because of how successful the Switch is and their device isn't.

I think you've got it right there at the end of your post. They're just salty as the dead sea because no one wants their device. (I know I don't want to have to stick an attachment onto my tablet to play games, no matter what kind they are. The idea of the tablet is for it to be really portable and bulking it up with something is counter-intuitive.)

Anyhow, the Switch isn't a 'tablet attachment', they made the controller into a tablet-like device but I don't think it functions as a regular tablet would. (I do not have a Switch, so if I'm wrong let me know. :3)

That's what I'm saying, the Switch could not possibly be perceived as a "tablet with attachments", and the GameVice device isn't necessary, but it's designed to make tablet gaming more like console gaming.

Surely the court will rule with Nintendo as they are in different markets.

They might have a copyright on the tech nintendo is using, who knows. Even if nintendo is in violation of a copyright though, that won't force them to stop selling it. Nintendo, like all other big companies, would just pay a fine and keep doing business as usual.

Slomo said:
They might have a copyright on the tech nintendo is using, who knows. Even if nintendo is in violation of a copyright though, that won't force them to stop selling it. Nintendo, like all other big companies, would just pay a fine and keep doing business as usual.

Literally all the company did is make a device shaped like a U with buttons and joysticks to be attached to a tablet and used with compatible games.

The Switch is a complete system, ergo I'm pretty sure it would fall under the category of not infringing on a patent because the customers of neither would get confused by either one and neither company will steal business away from the other one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gam...wFkKHe4EBs8Q_AUIEigC&biw=412&bih=718#imgrc=Dg

I hope it won't be the end of Nintendo Switch. Game Vice only made the controllers for your phone, now I want some. Then maybe I can try castle of illusion again.

Ironically, Nintendo is using games they developed many years ago. Maybe GameVice is infringing on Nintendo? I don't think this case will go anywhere.

dogboy said:
Ironically, Nintendo is using games they developed many years ago. Maybe GameVice is infringing on Nintendo? I don't think this case will go anywhere.

I was sort of thinking the WikiPad that GameVice makes looks a lot like an Oversized Wii-U touchscreen controller (which is basically a tablet that already has the buttons and joystick attached to it on the sides); and the Wii-U came out the year before the GameVice WikiPad.

Nintendo will win, simply because it is a mobile gaming device (the "tablet" is the "console") with a docking station to make it compatible with TV's. So, essentially it's the opposite of GameVice's device, where it attaches to a presupplied tablet, the Switch is a "tablet console." Therefore GV has no grounds to pursue a suit, it would appear, as forementioned, a spiteful attempt to pout publicly at someone else's success.

I have a switch (primarily for BotW) and can say I love the console, Nintendo needed this recent success to put themselves back in the radar.

I find this lawsuit so ridiculous, and I'm sure many others will, too. I read the Nintendo Life article about this madness. I mean it literally is madness! What are the people working for GameVice thinking? I never heard of anything about this unknown company that makes third-party accessories for tablets that no-one that I know has heard of. And I'm left to wonder when exactly GameVice filed their patent for their thing that I would've found worthless. I agree with you that GameVice must be jealous of Nintendo's fame that revived with the Switch, and I agree that GameVice is engaging in patent trolling.

BTW, the GameVice XYAB buttons look like GameVice is ripping off the Xbox One Controller, don't you think?

LittlePrinceC3 said:
I find this lawsuit so ridiculous, and I'm sure many others will, too. I read the Nintendo Life article about this madness. I mean it literally is madness! What are the people working for GameVice thinking? I never heard of anything about this unknown company that makes third-party accessories for tablets that no-one that I know has heard of. And I'm left to wonder when exactly GameVice filed their patent for their thing that I would've found worthless. I agree with you that GameVice must be jealous of Nintendo's fame that revived with the Switch, and I agree that GameVice is engaging in patent trolling.

BTW, the GameVice XYAB buttons look like GameVice is ripping off the Xbox One Controller, don't you think?

That is a nice observation comparing the main button layout of the GameVice to an Xbox controller (not just the One, the Xbox controller has been mostly unchanged for 3+ gaming generations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back