Thread: Pulse Survivor claims he is no longer Gay

Default Pulse Survivor claims he is no longer Gay

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...christ-n870541

I cant say that I believe in any purported "success" of Conversion Therapy, I just hope people that claim they are "cured" and "no longer gay" are not fooling themselves into a false version of the truth that they want to believe and want to be true.

I know most psychology/mental health organizations are pretty well convinced that Conversion Therapy is a big farce and doesn't work (to say the least).

I'm a straight guy, not Gay or Bisexual or anything like that, but I have nothing against the LGBTQ community and support people being true to themselves and the things that shape their identity and I believe to be living a lie and not be able to really be yourself must be pretty bad; its probably even worse if they themselves choose to believe in something that is a complete lie.
    Last edited by BabyTyrant; 3 Weeks Ago at 00:04.

Honestly, I think its a coping mechanism, He doesn't want to be gay anymore because of what happened at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by AddyShadows View Post
    Honestly, I think its a coping mechanism, He doesn't want to be gay anymore because of what happened at the club.
    Sounds like a very plausible reason, especially given the reason why that club was chosen as the target was apparently due to the shooters hatred of gay people.

I had heard that the shooter was actually a regular at that club, so maybe the shooter was in denial and didn't want to accept that he was Gay too.

Though idk if that was actually true; at any rate I don't know how it is that people end up on the radar of the FBI as being potentially explosive, and nothing happens until it's too late and many people die horribly in a tragic mass shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by AddyShadows View Post
    I'm inclined to agree with you on that assessment. What happened at the Pulse Nightclub was an incredibly traumatic experience for everyone inside and the family members of the victim's. If a gay man who wasn't completely out and proud and likely had a significant religious presence or overbearing, unaccepting parents in his life went through something with such trauma and tragedy, I can see that person being inclined to try and "cure" himself.

Bottom line, conversion therapy is a giant crock, a way of trying to fix something that isn't broken to begin with.

I have family members who are gay, bi, asexual and even trans, some of them from one side of the family only, were put through conversion therapy camps or sent to counsellors/psychiatrists to try to curb a fundamental aspect of their identity and sexuality because that side of the family was incredibly conservative and intolerant.

My asexual cousin was sent to a "pray the gay away" camp even though he never fantasized about men in his life, his parents were so ass backwards that they thought if you don't want to have sex there's something wrong with you, I don't even think they knew what asexual was. My cousin went through the camp and was largely unfazed and unchanged, he now lives his life and is openly asexual to the chagrin of his extremely conservative parents.

My Mother and Aunt had cousins from that same side of the family, one of them was gay and he was sent to all manner of psychiatrists and therapy to try and change him, this would have been in the early 80's. Sadly, that cousin took his own life because he wasn't being accepted by others and he was being forced to change something that just couldn't be changed.

Conversion therapy of any kind is akin to telling a full grown man to grow taller, it just can't be done and the people who go through it, these "success stories" are really just individuals who have been worn down or conditioned to the point that they'd rather give in and live a lie than face persecution or severe depression.

Quote Originally Posted by Poofybutt View Post

My asexual cousin was sent to a "pray the gay away" camp even though he never fantasized about men in his life, his parents were so ass backwards that they thought if you don't want to have sex there's something wrong with you, I don't even think they knew what asexual was. My cousin went through the camp and was largely unfazed and unchanged, he now lives his life and is openly asexual to the chagrin of his extremely conservative parents.
    Rather amusing (read: dumb) that the same people who would think there's something wrong with you for not wanting to have sex would probably think of you as a sinner if you wanted to have sex solely for the pleasure aspect instead of the baby-making aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaWolfNagihiko View Post
    Rather amusing (read: dumb) that the same people who would think there's something wrong with you for not wanting to have sex would probably think of you as a sinner if you wanted to have sex solely for the pleasure aspect instead of the baby-making aspect.
    Haha, good point.

That's something that will never cease to amaze me, the fact that close-minded people are also extremely hypocritical as well.

My cousin's parents are actually much worse than that though, they would be lauding him if he were a chronic womanizer who screwed everything that moves like his older brother, but because he had zero sex drive and his brains were where they should be, his folks immediately thought that there was something wrong with him that needed correcting.

You would not BELIEVE the people who have declared that I must have something "wrong" with me because I don't have sexual urges like most people. :P

"Come on, what movie star do you think is hot?"
    "I don't like any movie stars like that."
    "None of them?"
    "None of them. I don't even think people I meet IRL are attractive. You're all just people to me."
    "WHAAAAAT?"
    "I think Mr. X (an overweight co-worker who is also a very awesome and funny person) is the same as Brad Pitt. Both just people."
    *cue co-workers brains exploding trying to process this*

So now Mr. X gets called "Brad Pitt" all the time. :P He thinks it's hilarious though and keeps asking when the royalty checks are coming.

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleWoozle View Post
    You would not BELIEVE the people who have declared that I must have something "wrong" with me because I don't have sexual urges like most people. :P

"Come on, what movie star do you think is hot?"
    "I don't like any movie stars like that."
    "None of them?"
    "None of them. I don't even think people I meet IRL are attractive. You're all just people to me."
    "WHAAAAAT?"
    "I think Mr. X (an overweight co-worker who is also a very awesome and funny person) is the same as Brad Pitt. Both just people."
    *cue co-workers brains exploding trying to process this*

So now Mr. X gets called "Brad Pitt" all the time. :P He thinks it's hilarious though and keeps asking when the royalty checks are coming.
    I can't say I've had quite the same experience because the only IRL person I've told about being asexual (although I'm currently questioning) is my mother. This happened in the middle of me telling her about being AB, when she said something along the lines of ''I'd love you even if you were a lesbian.'' (Surprise! I might be now, but anyway...) So I told her I was asexual and didn't have feelings like that for anyone. I asked if she understood and she had no comment. But she's never brought it up again and since then I've just assumed she was fine with it.

For me, life remains full of mystery. Yes, probability would tell us that this fellow will most likely return to feeling gay some day, but who knows? Yes, "conversion therapy" for gays has been proven to cause far more harm than good. Yes, we here know well how successfully "conversion therapy" would work with us! Still, if the guy says he believe's Pulse somehow scared him "straight," who knows? I only hope nobody ever tries to incorporate the first hand witnessing of a mass murder into their new "conversion therapy" program!!!
    Last edited by Yooda; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:07.