Do I have an overactive bladder? -If yes, could this lead to incontinence in the near future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any experience with incontinence or overactive bladder or anything like this, but you know... 8 times a day plus toilet trips at night... This sounds like normal. In my country it's advised that an average person should visit the bathroom every two hours. If your day is of a 16 hour span — that's about totally normal. The reason why you wake up at night may simply be you being very sensitive and your sleep so shallow, that you are awoken by the pressure in your bladder. That's not really bad, either.

If you are afraid this might be some problem, you, as others said, should visit the doctor.
However, if you are reluctant to do this, I might suggest a simple test you can do yourself (if you haven't already done it before). Just try holding for as long as it doesn't get overly uncomfortable. No need for waiting till the extreme, simply, when you think you need to go to the toilet, do some work, I don't know... well, anything to distract you.

You may find, that your desire to visit the restroom is purely psychological. Especially since, as you said, you are a DL and wear diapers as often as you can.

Speaking from my own experience (I'm a DL myself), after wearing diapers for some time and getting out of them, I go to the toilet, like, about 5 times in an hour. Yet, it passes, if I don't go or simply naturally subsides as time passes.

I would say this is frequency or polyuria rather than OAB. Night time peeing is nocturia which I think is 2 or more times a night. IMO OAB is where you have to rush to the toilet. There is also dry OAB which is pain if you don’t pee.

It is worth seeing the doctor to rule out diabetes or something that may lead to it and to check for prostate issues though these tend to come later in life.

Also they can give you pills to reduce the frequency.

I had some for 2 months and they seemed to permanently reduce my frequency. I’m still peeing a lot more than 8 times a day and 2 or 3 times at night but then I’m a lot older.

I'm a DL and I had also had this experience. After I was not able to hold it longer as for 10 minutes after the first urge - and I went to the doc. Actually this was a good idea. It turned out that my bladder volume was reduced (280ml). After medication and a lot of bladder training I was able to extend my bladder volume to 360ml. If I drink no coffee, beer or acid drinks I'm back to my normal. How ever in the worst cases it still can happen that I wet myself after 15 to 20 min (depending on what I drink). But that's OK and I can keep with that without the pills.

How ever - I'm not sure - but I think the reduced bladder volume was a side effect of wearing (and using) diapers. So meanwhile I'm a lot more careful with that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back