Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have humans forgotten about watching for traffic?

As a pedestrian even if I have the right of way I am cognizant that there is no contest when it comes to a vehicle. I saw a pedestrian hit once and it was frightening. I always make eye contact with the driver before crossing in a cross walk. A growing problem for both drivers and pedestrians are cell phones. In attention is a killer. A good friend was in stop and go traffic. The next thing she knew she was rear ended by a driver going 30-5 miles an hour. You guessed it the other driver was texting.

I live in a college town and go to a university in which the campus is split in half, half on each side of a busy road. There are several crosswalks on this busy road with buttons and flashing signs to alert the drivers to stop. I canít tell you how many times Iíve seen my fellow students just go darting across the road with their hands out like itís going to stop/protect them from the car. Everyone in my town hates when they have to drive near campus for this reason. Itís almost as if 85 percent of students here want to get hit. But people outside of campus arenít any better. Especially at night, and theyíre always wearing all black when itís dark out darting across a main road and you just know if you accidentally hit them theyíre going to sue the pants off you. Btw, I donít drive. This is just stuff Iíve observed riding with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by ginger22 View Post
    As a pedestrian even if I have the right of way I am cognizant that there is no contest when it comes to a vehicle. I saw a pedestrian hit once and it was frightening. I always make eye contact with the driver before crossing in a cross walk. A growing problem for both drivers and pedestrians are cell phones. In attention is a killer. A good friend was in stop and go traffic. The next thing she knew she was rear ended by a driver going 30-5 miles an hour. You guessed it the other driver was texting.
    I just saw in a video of a car nearly hitting a pedestrian and that lady had the right of way. But yet the driver also had the right of way to turn because it had a green arrow but it was dark so I didn't notice the pedestrian either until I played it back and she was very tiny so no wonder the driver didn't see her and then it stopped right when it did. But by law the driver would still be at fault even though the pedestrian was not wearing any lighting gear or any bright. We must yield to pedestrians. But even as a pedestrian I am cautious at night when crossing because I don't expect cars to see me so I don't assume they will notice me because I am not wearing any bright or lighting gear for car lights to reflect on. Here in my area, lot of people seem to assume drivers will automatically see them so they cross unsafely, don't wear any lighting gear or bright gear, they will jaywalk. But at least it's not Russia, I hear people will deliberately get hit by cars or run into them for insurance fraud so pretty much every driver there has a dash cam. I am considering getting one because of too many idiots and drivers too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pgfdp View Post
    I live in a college town and go to a university in which the campus is split in half, half on each side of a busy road. There are several crosswalks on this busy road with buttons and flashing signs to alert the drivers to stop. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen my fellow students just go darting across the road with their hands out like it’s going to stop/protect them from the car. Everyone in my town hates when they have to drive near campus for this reason. It’s almost as if 85 percent of students here want to get hit. But people outside of campus aren’t any better. Especially at night, and they’re always wearing all black when it’s dark out darting across a main road and you just know if you accidentally hit them they’re going to sue the pants off you. Btw, I don’t drive. This is just stuff I’ve observed riding with friends.
    We also have flashing lights for pedestrians and they hit the button to make the lights flash. But that is only on my side of the area and on the other side, there are no flashing pedestrian signs. I can assume pedestrians have been hit in my area so they installed those crossing signs to get drivers to see them. The road is 40 mph or 30 so you are going fast you might not notice someone is trying to cross until too late. So blinking lights alerts the drivers someone is crossing and they stop. People do use them correctly and it has a pedestrian island so by law we don't need to stop if the pedestrian is on the other side of the island still.

They are also great at night too and one time my husband and I were going back from Olive Garden when I saw flashing lights and cars would slow down and keep going. Even I slowed down and was wondering what was going on and then I saw a moving shadow and saw it was a young man trying to cross. I was about to go and then stopped and there was another car coming too and it also stopped and then he crossed. My husband thought he was a dumb pedestrian because he wasn't going so I told him he had to make sure I was stopping and he had to be sure the other car would stop, he was being a defensive walker. I bet if I hadn't stopped, the car coming in the other lane beside me wouldn't have stopped either because they wouldn't have seen him. The guy was wearing all black and it was pitch black out and there were no streetlights around and this was in a city.

Get a dash cam I would say, it helps with your insurance and lawsuit and liability.

I've seen people who are literally 15 feet from the crosswalk where they could press the button to get a walk light just dart across a 4 lane busy state route.

This is another reason I have a dash cam going all the time. One of these days it's going to save my ass when some moron walks out in front of me dressed in all black at 2 am and I mow them down.

I think way to many of these kids skipped safety town where they teach you to look both ways, cross at the light and to not dart out into traffic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by diapernh View Post
    I've seen people who are literally 15 feet from the crosswalk where they could press the button to get a walk light just dart across a 4 lane busy state route.
    Same here, it's been on my annoyance list lately.

Oregon also passed a law that we must stop for pedestrians who are trying to cross even if it's in the middle of the road. I don't stop and neither do lot of other cars, why, because I never have time to stop for them. I am going too fast to even slow down and by the time I stop, I would be past them. Plus it's dangerous because what happens when a car stops, another car doesn't stop and they hit the pedestrian. Yes I am going to the speed it is posted at and that is still too fast to stop for pedestrians. Plus it's harder to notice them and by the time you do, it's too late to stop so that is why those crosswalks have those flashing lights. We notice the flashing so we stop. It also gets our attention so we look to the side for the pedestrian. And slamming on breaks is out of the question, that is a way to get rear ended because the driver behind you might not have noticed the pedestrian so they were not expecting you to stop.

I think way to many of these kids skipped safety town where they teach you to look both ways, cross at the light and to not dart out into traffic
    I think they just unlearn it because they have the idea it's the driver's responsibility always and they don't need to do any of the work, it's all on the driver because they are driving a 3,500 pound machine. They expect you to have night vision too. I even saw a pedestrian crossing the interstate here and it caused traffic to slow down and I had to press on my breaks hard because the car up ahead was snail slow because there was a man trying to cross. I was wondering what was going on and why the sudden slow down and I looked around for maybe the crash or maybe something and I saw a truck on the shoulder with a man on the other side trying to cross. No one hit him. If a police officer saw that, he would probably have given him a ticket for interfering with the road whatever it's called.

- - - Updated - - -

The bus service in my area had to take out a bus stop right in front of Goodwill because several pedestrians had been hit. It was on a hill and the speed limit is posted too high for the bus stop so drivers were not seeing the pedestrians. So they removed the bus stop because it was in a bad spot for pedestrians. I think they did it for liability. I remember the bus driver said something about corner. I looked on the map and saw no corner because the road just goes straight. Maybe he meant turning onto it. The speed limit on that road is also 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I've seen cyclists here run red lights or stay in your blind spot or them not signaling. I saw one coming at me the other day so I had to slow down and make sure there were no cars coming at me for me to go around him and I told my son what that cyclist was doing was illegal because he is supposed to be going the same direction as traffic, not coming at me, he is on the wrong side of the road.

I've had drivers honk at me when I was doing safe driving. One time I saw a pedestrian and he was on the curb but I thought he would be crossing, he didn't cross and the big truck behind me honked just because I took too long turning. I have also been honked at red lights, honked at because I was turning and had my blinker on because the person behind me was tailgating and they nearly hit me. A month back I got honked at for turning even though I had my blinker on and the car behind me was in such a rush he didn't like I had slowed him down. One time I had my blinker on to switch lanes and I look behind me and no car so I go in the next lane and bam I get honked at because some asshole decided to speed up to not let me in. Then funny story, he gets stuck at behind a bunch of cars behind me so he didn't get to the red light any quicker.

Another time I had a green arrow so I turned and there were no cars and then I hear honking and there was a SUV truck behind me and he got mad I turned into the right lane when he should have waited for me to finish my turning. Another time I was driving my car and my dad was with me and I was about to turn onto the road when I saw a car in front of me coming up fast to the curb from the parking lot so I put on my breaks because I didn't know if that driving was stopping or turning onto the road too and I didn't want to get into an accident. The car behind me got pissed and started honking at me and that is why you don't follow me assholes. Give me space when I turn because what if I do an abrupt stop when I notice a car or if there is an asshole speeding on the road. But some people do get mad at you for their own bad driving and blame you.

I also hate courteous drivers, they stop in the middle of the road to let me turn but they have just created a blind spot for me, I can't see other incoming cars in the other lane so I don't turn. You have the right of way, don't stop, that is dangerous.

Yeah there are bad drivers and bad pedestrians and bad cyclists. I have seen quite a few drivers who have acted like I am one of those dumb pedestrians who is going to jump out in front of them because of how slowly they are insanely going while turning or driving by. Seriously, just go your normal speed and not hold up traffic. Just imagine if the whole city did that, there would always be roads backed up because of people going so slowly like 5 miles MPH when turning or passing by pedestrians because "oh no, if that pedestrian is stupid and they jump out in front of you, it's your fault." I just figure that driver is one of those stupid people who has the, "Pedestrians don't need to watch for cars and it will be the driver's fault" mentality. It's a possibility that maybe that driver has PTSD and has actually hit someone due to the pedestrian being stupid so now they go very slow whenever they see a pedestrian because of how nervous they get. Or they could have anxiety and are just worried what if I am a stupid pedestrian who will try to beat the train by going in front of the car? But all they are doing is keeping me from trying to beat the train because he or she is going so slow in turning I could be more likely to just run in front of them because of how slow they are going because I want to catch that commute train. Boy the logic of people.
    ohhhhh boy, this is a loaded topic, i think. i happened to have A LOT of experience in this particular topic. Being a Bike Messenger in Boston for the past 5 years or so, i have seen A LOT of different traffic situations. Good and bad, however typically its bad, with me being in the right, and also at times in the wrong. i have been that guy going against traffic illegally, running thru stop signs and lights. but being a messenger, thats the job. if we dont commit these traffic violations, then we dont have a job. i cant express enough that that does not make it right, it just is. but i have also been the guy who obeys the traffic laws and stops at the red lights. no matter how you look at it, its hard.

also, in terms of cars vs bicycles, cars simply dont believe that bicyclists belong on the road, so they simply dont see us. truth is those lovely bike lanes dont do sh** for us riders, especially when delivery trucks, taxis and other random people like to park in the bike lanes. Bike lane not accessible to bicycles = bicycles in car specific lanes. so you "car people" wanna complain about how bicyclists are not doing what theyre supposed to being doing and staying in their designated bike lane, but yet you "car people" dont wanna take any responsibility about the fact that the "car people" are the ones hindering our ability to do it legally. and seeing as we are still out here, we need to respond accordingly by saying "Forget you!", im gonna ride directly in front of you car people and annoy the crap out of you. btw, "Car People" happens to mostly associated with BMW drivers. seriously the lot of you BMW drivers really stink!! i love the cars they make, i just hate the drivers that own them lol.

in December of 2017, i was struck by a lady driving her car. she was driving the wrong way against a One-way street. i just happen to have the perfect timing coming off of another street. the street that i was coming off of was the street my dispatch office is located at. so i knew that specific area well and knew the traffic patterns well. i was actually looking in the direction of where traffic was supposed to be coming from and right as i panned my head into the direction i was going, BOOM!, i was on the ground. the lady tapped on her brakes real quick and then left the scene. she came back 5 or so minutes later, after the EMT's had shown up.

advice to all bicycle "commuters" (if you dont consider yourself a professional on a bike) - if you are only capable of riding your bike like you just got the training wheels taken off.... please stay on the sidewalks and bike paths, the bike lanes painted within the car lanes are not safe for you, or other cyclists/non-car commuters behind you.
    Last edited by SleepyBee; 09-Jun-2018 at 14:33. Reason: clarification