New study claims anticholinergic medications often prescribed for OAB are linked to higher risk of dementia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha. I was just going to post this, but you beat me by 7 min! Here's a link to the actual journal paper

This is just another major reason I've told my doctor I'm sticking with diapers.

...well, crud. That's not what you wanna hear, am I right?

great. I have been on vesicare for about 4 months now.

Lets see...dementia...or waking more often to pee. Decisions decisions.

I stopped taking vesicare as it only helped a little and had too many side effects. I would rather wet the bed than suffer the side effects.

Well you have to be an idiot to try that crap to begin with so if you contour to use it , you almost deserve to lose your mind.

The only side effect of diapers is laundry , you can manage anykind of IC with good olde fashioned diapers ,no interactions , no black box warnings ,alot of people have died from drugs , but show me a person who died from diapers ....

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Tetra said:
Well you have to be an idiot to try that crap to begin with so if you contour to use it , you almost deserve to lose your mind.

The only side effect of diapers is laundry , you can manage anykind of IC with good olde fashioned diapers ,no interactions , no black box warnings ,alot of people have died from drugs , but show me a person who died from diapers ....

I'm on an anticholinergic for other reasons (bad tremor)—am I an idiot? It hasn't worked for my IC because my doctor doesn't want to risk side effects of raising the dose.

I just started Oxybutynin and now this news comes out. Perhaps I should just accept diapers and move on?

iam32bit said:
I just started Oxybutynin and now this news comes out. Perhaps I should just accept diapers and move on?

Is the Oxybutynin working for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No your not an idiot, they have a place in medicine cabinet ,I just don't believe that place is in IC care !
OmiOMy said:
I'm on an anticholinergic for other reasons (bad tremor)—am I an idiot? It hasn't worked for my IC because my doctor doesn't want to risk side effects of raising the dose.

Okay, i looked into the paper, and i noticed a little something about the amount of people with dementia. it's only around .6% of the sample size. Now that seems like a lot, but not so much when you notice the fact that in 2015, estimates of dimentia in the world put it at around the same amount. In fact, the amount found in the study is actually a smaller percentage than the worldwide amount (which has grown by 3000000 to 2017, by the ways; https://www.alz.co.uk/research/statistics). I haven't read the entire paper, but i've read enough to get to their statistics, and it's really not that bad.

Last edited:
Tetra said:

Well, I guess I'm glad I stopped using it. I have an appointment with my urologist soon. But I am with you Tetra even the hint of something that could trigger dementia is not worth it. A very good friend of mine, 57, has early onset Alzheimer's and it is very sad to watch this progression. So, I don't care if it is just one study. Ill live with the urinary urges before I will poke that bear.

One of disease that I have, gives me predisposition to early dementia , that's the good news ! Bad news I am not predicted to live long enough for that to matter!

My grandmother was a shell of human for 22 years in a nursing home , it not an easy thing to see a person go through , for them it doesn't seem to much matter how confused they are ,its SNAFU .
Anything I can avoid that contributes to that I do, like never using antiperspirant because the systemic use of aluminum salts is supposed to be linked , I would rather wash my pits once an hour if I had to (fortunately I can handle the hot , the cold on the other is a genuine 4 letter word usually prefaced by f*** it's cold) .

deodorant, ok dont tell me anymore. If I have to stop using a toothbrush and toothpaste, I might as well call it quits!

It's not deodorant , it the antipersperant,but then again the whole antipersperant link has been around since the early 90's ,you dont think any of these companies would spend 10 seconds thinking about your future health ?
They don't care as long as the product sells & makes them money ,capitalism at its finest boils down to naked greed , people don't want to be rich tommorow they want to be rich the day before yesterday ,why change something if it still makes you money ,we have known the truth about tobacco since before the first Marlboro man died of lung cancer ,yet its still sold in almost every store in the country( fact you will find a pack of cigarretes at a store for sale , yet you cant find a decent diaper most places, and i haven't heard of a diaper ever being conclusively linked to any deaths ,but there's millions of bodies in the ground from smoking ).

The WHO (Not the band) has red meat consumption right along with asbestos ( pardon me well I finish eating my cheese burger) there are lots of things that have been shown by science to be detrimental to our current health or future health that we do almost every day ,he'll some times just the air we breathe is bad for us , but quiting breathing is a disaster in and of itself , the best most people can hope for is to mitigate the risks through moderation and wise choices ,what choices each and everyone of us makes as far as sacrifices for today or tommorows health is unique.so avoiding a drug is an easy sacrifice especially considering the drug won't cure or fully combat IC ,You will still need a diaper of some kind for those times when it doesn't help , but wearing a diaper has no side effects ,or adverse reactions and basicly takes care of the issue 100% of the time ,so why take risks with sketchy drugs, that are todays treatment and tommorows mistake (look back thru history thousands of examples of something that was revolutianary and improved lives that we regreted later, two of the biggest off the top of my head Freon and Thalidomide,there's more modern examples of big trouble coming out of big pharma but few people actually know about unless your in the medical field or something related. I am a guy who was in the medical field and should have known better than to trust big pharma to tell me or my doctor the truth , and it's cost me a lot of time energy and health ,so I am a changed man ,no one will ever convince me to take a patented medication again ,and even after its patent expires and the true adverse effects have been fleshed out by others , you may find me unwilling to play roulette again.
littlemoosey said:
deodorant, ok dont tell me anymore. If I have to stop using a toothbrush and toothpaste, I might as well call it quits!

Ps Littlemoosey,as long as you dont buy your toothpaste from dollar stores , currently many low budget friendly stores got a load of "colgate" toothpaste it looks mostly genuine until you get to paying attention to details it states it was made in South America or China and is a complete fraud rip off ,Colgate does not import toothpaste and when it was tested in a lab was loaded with banned chemicals and yes some asbestos . Nothing says i am desperate for money like counterfeit toothpaste ,what's next toothpicks !

Last edited:
littlemoosey said:

Don't ever move to California. Prop 65 warnings ("This item contains chemicals known by the state of Cailfornia to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm") would make you not want to leave your house.

A quick Google image search for 'prop 65 warning' showed me yarn, baseballs, chips, shampoo, dishware, nail clippers, screwdrivers, vinegar, sunglasses, clothes, Starbucks, McDonalds, matches, buildings, shoes, power adapters, and even Disneyland. Basically, if it exists, California warns you about it. Yes, toothpastes and toothbrushes (apparently no one takes pictures of the back of their toothbrush packages to show prop 65 warnings) are on the list as well.

Or maybe the answer is to move to California and quickly get over worrying about it. What do I, as a responsible Californian, who does not want cancer or children with birth defects do? I don't even notice the signs and labels unless I'm specifically looking for them. They're so prevalent they're ignorable.

Thanx flipside, just other reasons for me to avoid Ca. A beautiful state but it is out of control.

flipside said:
Don't ever move to California. Prop 65 warnings ("This item contains chemicals known by the state of Cailfornia to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm") would make you not want to leave your house.

A quick Google image search for 'prop 65 warning' showed me yarn, baseballs, chips, shampoo, dishware, nail clippers, screwdrivers, vinegar, sunglasses, clothes, Starbucks, McDonalds, matches, buildings, shoes, power adapters, and even Disneyland. Basically, if it exists, California warns you about it. Yes, toothpastes and toothbrushes (apparently no one takes pictures of the back of their toothbrush packages to show prop 65 warnings) are on the list as well.

Or maybe the answer is to move to California and quickly get over worrying about it. What do I, as a responsible Californian, who does not want cancer or children with birth defects do? I don't even notice the signs and labels unless I'm specifically looking for them. They're so prevalent they're ignorable.

It's not just on products, but also signs in store windows. The problem with our lovely state is that they've made these things so damned all-encompassing that you can't go ANYWHERE without seeing one in a window. Grocery store? There's one. Pharmacy? Of course. Clothing store? Yep. I don't know if I can actually name any given business that I've seen that doesn't have one of these up. Restaurants even have them, especially if they serve alcohol. These things are so commonplace, they are completely ignored now, because it doesn't matter where you go, there will be one.

On top of that, the warning labels on products are just as ludicrous and heavily ignored. A lot of these, the link between the product and cancer/birth defects comes from feeding mice 20% of their body weight a day of said item and seeing that they develop problems after a few years. Yeah, I'm going to eat twenty pounds of saccharin a day for the next fifteen years and then be surprised when it messes me up. Normal usage of these products over decades of use can increase your cancer risk about as much as a single flight across the country.

They're everywhere here, and they're utterly ignored.

littlemoosey said:
Thanx flipside, just other reasons for me to avoid Ca. A beautiful state but it is out of control.

The products aren't any different where you live. I mean, Starbucks isn't purposely infecting its California customers (because that would be ludicrous). They just don't warn you anywhere else. The idea behind the proposition was decent (warn people away from things that are bad for them), but it's been taken to such extreme levels (oh, 0.000001% of that hamburger is a chemical that increases your risk of cancer by 0.01% if you ingest enough of it constantly) it's pointless.

flipside said:

On the evening news about a month back when Starbucks and 7-11 lost the court case motto label the coffee they showed all the crazy places these signs were in the wall of the civic center on poles in parking garages outside the police station it was genuinely absurd kinda like the damn warning on your cars mirror.
They are so prevalent most people completely block them out .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back